General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 5 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

Good for Holstein, with Hamburg going down* it's good to have a northern team.

*The only team to have played every Bundesliga season!

Edit: also, re FCK, there's a 3. Bundesliga now so they'll drop into that from the second tier. There are a few (formerly) major clubs in the Regionalligaen though, such as Alemannia Aachen, Energie Cottbus, and of course 1860 Munich. The latter two have already qualified for the playoffs. The six Regionalligaen teams are drawn into three two-legged ties and the winners go up to the third level. So that's three promotion spots from around 100 teams.

The Regionalliga, then is a complete dungeon. Also, the China U-20 national team played in one of them. Weird but true. They played a few games to fill in for some bankrupt team until ze Germans kicked them out because of Tibet. Some fans were waving Tibetan flags at the players, the players walked off the pitch, the police got involved etc.

That'll surely have the Chinese rethinking their Tibetan Autonomous Region policies. Colonize their only realistic source of water en route to their status as global power, or let their youths play in the German fourth division? It's a toughie.

Here's hoping that Hamburg find themselves in the dungeons of Regionaliga soon. Horrible fucking club.

*insert signature here*

Armenia has one of the most rubbish and pointless leagues in Europe, with just six teams in the Premier League playing each other five times. Already-relegated FC Ararat, pride of the country during the Soviet era, were today 4-0 down to league leaders Shirak after 27 minutes in the second-last matchday. They came back for a 4-4 draw:

https://www.facebook.com/fcararatyerevanofficial/videos/1989646747735601/

This is interesting because it means if Shirak lose next week and reigning champions Alashkert win, the top two will be level on 50 points - and that forces a play-off. Play-offs are a highly unusual way to decide leagues in Europe but Armenia does it.

Fans of schadenfreude may remember Alashkert as the mob who beat St. Johnstone in the Europa League a couple of years back.

EOho8Pw.png

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/full-time-cowdenbeath-3-cove-rangers-2-officials-howler-ends-coves-scottish-leagues-dream/

This Aberdeen bumpkin journal doesn't seem to be taking today's play-off result too well. It's fairly unusual to see a meltdown spill over into print form nowadays, but here we are. 

In horrible, unsporting scenes afterwards, the Blue Brazil players stood taunting the Aberdeen team’s fans.

Disgraceful to see the return of goading in Scottish football so soon after the infamous* Hibs v Rangers cup final IMO. 

* hilarious

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/full-time-cowdenbeath-3-cove-rangers-2-officials-howler-ends-coves-scottish-leagues-dream/

This Aberdeen bumpkin journal doesn't seem to be taking today's play-off result too well. It's fairly unusual to see a meltdown spill over into print form nowadays, but here we are.

Disgraceful to see the return of goading in Scottish football so soon after the infamous* Hibs v Rangers cup final IMO.

* hilarious

They were quite right, in fairness. And you’d have felt the same way if you were at the game today.

• Upvote 1

If I was a journalist then I wouldn't actually be writing up a blubbering mess of a match report because that's not part of the job. Least of all for a nothing club like Cove, unless this is actually their equivalent of Marca and nobody has realised.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The referee's performance was a genuine disgrace and was one sided to an extent I don't think I've ever seen before in Scotland, but this doesn't change the fact that Cove were in control of the game at half time and in true Aberdonian fashion lost that control by completely shitting the bed before any of the referee's interventions.

They have every right to be livid about the decisions that went against them in the second half, but that doesn't mean they need to go all jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams about it and start shouting about conspiracies while failing to acknowledge their own contribution to losing it.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If I was a journalist then I wouldn't actually be writing up a blubbering mess of a match report because that's not part of the job. Least of all for a nothing club like Cove, unless this is actually their equivalent of Marca and nobody has realised.

If you were a journalist then newspaper sales declines would be reversed in no time whatsoever. People would be queuing up at Newsagents all-over the place to find out what the Virgin lovechild of Chris Sutton & Craig Burley has to say today.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Former Belgian champions Lierse have gone bankrupt. Their match against Waasland-Beveren on Friday was thus cancelled, so the fans had a "picnic" at the stadium instead. Lierse have a great old ground and I must admit that although Belgium is a total bin, some of these images do tug on the heartstrings a bit:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lierse/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155939129153113

Former Partick Thistle defender Frederic Frans is in one, looking like he's about to cry. Other than his spell in Glasgow he's spent his entire career in Lier.

Belgian football has a 'matricule' system, where every club is numbered in order of their registration with the FA. Lierse was club number 30. The matricule may be recovered if someone buys it back from the FA.

For the past decade Lierse was a subsidiary of Wadi Degla, an Egyptian holding company that runs a club of the same name in the Egyptian league.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Former Belgian champions Lierse have gone bankrupt. Their match against Waasland-Beveren on Friday was thus cancelled, so the fans had a "picnic" at the stadium instead. Lierse have a great old ground and I must admit that although Belgium is a total bin, some of these images do tug on the heartstrings a bit:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lierse/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155939129153113

Former Partick Thistle defender Frederic Frans is in one, looking like he's about to cry. Other than his spell in Glasgow he's spent his entire career in Lier.

Belgian football has a 'matricule' system, where every club is numbered in order of their registration with the FA. Lierse was club number 30. The matricule may be recovered if someone buys it back from the FA.

For the past decade Lierse was a subsidiary of Wadi Degla, an Egyptian holding company that runs a club of the same name in the Egyptian league.

They may have a lifeline, the Mafia are interested: https://www.football-italia.net/120475/napoli-want-buy-lierse-sk

*insert signature here*

I won't say why, but I won't hear a word said against the De Laurentiis family. Heroes.

Anyway it's too late, the club's gone. Rangers-ing it is the only way to go.

EOho8Pw.png

I won't say why, but I won't hear a word said against the De Laurentiis family. Heroes.

Anyway it's too late, the club's gone. Rangers-ing it is the only way to go.

Well, they could be like the Irish Mafia - make themselves an offer they couldn't refuse. :)

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Fortuna Düsseldorf and Holsten Kiel are currently drawing 1-1 in a top of Bundesliga 2 clash. Game finished Kiel promoted.

Next weekend Dusseldorf have the league decider against Nuremberg, both clubs on 60 points.

FC Kaiserslautern (remember them?) to be relegated into the abyss that is Regionaliga. Eintracht Braunschweig also in danger of relegation.

I just looked at the table and Kiel weren't promoted. They're in a playoff against Wolfsburg. Fortuna and Nuremberg both go up, replacing Koln and HSV.

2-1 to Wolfsburg in the first leg at half-time, Kiel getting a vital away goal.

Edited by TRVMP
  • Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Down in Mexico, they play an Apertura/Clausura season, split into two, like much of Latin America. The first leg of the final was the other day and I only just got around to watching the highlights. Santos Laguna came from behind to beat Toluca 2-1 at home in Torreon. The away leg is Sunday night at 7pm my time, 1am UK time. I highly recommend it if you're awake.

The way the Mexican league works is that in each of the 17-game halves of the season, the top eight advance to a mini-league (the Liguilla) where 1st plays 8th, 2nd plays 7th, and so on down the bracket. 4th-placed Santos are in a great position to win against Toluca, who won the Clausura table. UANL (home to Andre-Pierre Gignac, Enner Valencia, and Eduardo Vargas, among other semi-big names) won the Apertura Liguilla but were far adrift this time around.

Mexican football is fast-paced and physical - actually quite Scottish-looking - compared to the Brazilian league, while still having some technical ability. Definitely worth a look, especially as the TV deals both in Mexico and the US add more money to the league.

Attendances are high and, oddly, there is no segregation outside the ultras areas of the stadium, so when the nationally-big teams like America and Chivas play, you see them side-by-side with the local fans in the main stand.

EOho8Pw.png

In the closing round of the Polish league today, Lech Poznan stood to watch rivals Legia Warsaw clinch the title on their own ground - Lech having nothing to play for themselves. So with fifteen minutes to go and Lech 2-0 down, the fans got the game abandoned by showering the pitch with flares and smoke bombs:

DdqJJP8VwAEERXU.jpg

I prefer the traditional methods of 'throwing rivets at the away fans' and 'taking their banners and burning them on Port Glasgow Road' myself. 

Edited by vikingTON

In the closing round of the Polish league today, Lech Poznan stood to watch rivals Legia Warsaw clinch the title on their own ground - Lech having nothing to play for themselves. So with fifteen minutes to go and Lech 2-0 down, the fans got the game abandoned by showering the pitch with flares and smoke bombs:

DdqJJP8VwAEERXU.jpg

I prefer the traditional methods of 'throwing rivets at the away fans' and 'taking their banners and burning them on Port Glasgow Road' myself.

I approve of this type of action. Instead of should we/shouldn't we give our rivals a guard of honour, do something to desecrate their day of glory.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Legia technically haven't won the title yet as the Polish blazers need to meet to determine the final result, so it's certainly worked in dousing their big day under a gallon of pish. 

In France, AC Ajaccio (as opposed to Gazelec Ajaccio, who inexplicably ended up in the top flight in 2015-16) have qualified for the Ligue 1 promotion play-off in quite specatular fashion. They beat Le Havre 5-3 on penalties at home today in a match that saw four red cards and two goals in extra time, the last one an equalizer in the last minute for the hosts.

The match was originally due to take place on Friday but was postponed until today after Ajaccio hooligans - famed throughout France - attacked the Havre bus on its way to the stadium:

Video is absolutely recommended: Ajaccio fans yelling "Français de merde" at the bus :lol: and the newsreader sounds on the absolute verge of tears.

Havre might well complain that two extra days in Corsica wasn't ideal for preparation, but nonetheless Ajaccio meet Toulouse in the two-legged playoff.

Reims and Nimes are already promoted; yo-yo club extraordinaire Metz and Troyes head the other way.

EOho8Pw.png

Noted mentalists Waldhof Mannheim have had their 4th division promotion playoff with KFC Uerdingen abandoned. Losing 2-1 at home (3-1 on aggregate) with 10 minutes to go, fights broke out in the stands and flares were thrown. Presumably the game will be awarded against them and they'll receive a massive fine.

The video below is from the first leg (played in Duisburg - I guess KFC's ground wasn't up to standard?) but gives an indication of what the Waldhof fans are like:

https://youtu.be/PeK3-vTSyvQ?t=54s

The video should play at 54 seconds, but if not, this is when the 'keeper tries to get the fans behind the goal to calm down so that the game can continue, but to no avail.

Waldhof were once one of the biggest clubs in the area between Frankfurt and Stuttgart and were regionally huge, but they've been irrelevant for a generation now, and with Hoffenheim playing just half an hour away, they could well lose young fans that would once have been theirs, particularly in Heidelberg and the like. What fans remain tend to hate each other. A bit like Morton, then.

Edited by TRVMP
  • Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png