The Next Scottish Manager - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Next Scottish Manager

What a tragic appointment - if the rumours are true. Apart from an inability to string words into sentences, McLeish has little knowledge of the current Scottish game. Despite the lack of options, sad the best the SFA can come up with is a has-been who whored himself for the 'big hoose' job only to be over-looked for a nobody.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is, but he wouldn't be the first manager to regress. The number who remain at the top of the game right to the end must be quite small. For every Sir Alex there's a... I don't know, Javier Clemente?

EOho8Pw.png

It is, but he wouldn't be the first manager to regress. The number who remain at the top of the game right to the end must be quite small. For every Sir Alex there's a... I don't know, Javier Clemente?

I know that, I was just disagreeing with Ashman's statement that 'His record is poor'. He done well at Motherwell, Hibs, Rangers, Scotland, Birmingham City then it's been regression since he left for Aston Villa. His last job was for some Egyptian nomarks who couldn't even qualify for Europe. Kinda says it all recently.

I know that, I was just disagreeing with Ashman's statement that 'His record is poor'. He done well at Motherwell, Hibs, Rangers, Scotland, Birmingham City then it's been regression since he left for Aston Villa. His last job was for some Egyptian nomarks who couldn't even qualify for Europe. Kinda says it all recently.

I wonder why.  :blink:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I will say this in his defence - while Zamalek is a massive club (second biggest in Egypt after Ahly, and the country is absolutely rabid about football, as much as Scotland) they were in a bit of disarray that season and he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing. I think he and his advisors underestimated what he was getting into. Managing in places like Egypt just isn't like managing in northern Europe.

EOho8Pw.png

Anyway, I have no idea how this appointment will go, but it does smack of the SFA just phoning it in. Oh, Eck wants it and he's out of a job so we wouldn't have to pay off his contract, let's just get him in.

EOho8Pw.png

Oh and one more while I'm on a roll: I saw a rumor that Marcelo Bielsa was interested and we knocked him back. IF that is the case I think it's a bullet dodged. I don't think he'd do well at an association like the SFA, which is pretty set in its ways, and I don't think he'd be a good personality fit for Scottish players either. That's nobody's fault, I think it's just a difference of culture from what he's used to. It would have ended in acrimony, I'm almost certain. I get why he's an exciting manager, his teams play an insanely good style of football when it's working, but when it's not working there's nowhere to hide.

And his last two (three if you count Lazio) jobs have been disastrous, in large part because he doesn't get on well with his bosses.

That said, his formation would have been a right laugh to watch with the centre backs at his disposal :P

EOho8Pw.png

I will say this in his defence - while Zamalek is a massive club (second biggest in Egypt after Ahly, and the country is absolutely rabid about football, as much as Scotland) they were in a bit of disarray that season and he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing. I think he and his advisors underestimated what he was getting into. Managing in places like Egypt just isn't like managing in northern Europe.

Granted, he probably looked upon it as an experience which was out of the ordinary, a chance to broaden horizons etc. In some respects it is admirable taking up the opportunity, but if it didn't work out it could be career suicide.

In many respects he is fortunate of being an ex-Rangers manager and being able to rely on the Rangers bias media in this country to campaign for him to get work, as they did successfully on this occasion.

Archived