Championship 19/20 - Page 25 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 19/20

SpoonTon

Indeed.

On another note, Hopkin has been very strongly giving the impression that he didn't actually do a great deal to prepare his team for the first game against Brora and that he didn't know much about them. Isn't Timmins supposed to have a scouting remit? In which case, why wasn't he sent up to watch them?

Or maybe he was, I suppose.

I think people are reading too much into the scouting remit.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Crawford got the job Dunfermline have tended to go through four or five games bubbles of great results before reverting to being utter shit for the next eight or nine.

You’d still make them favourites to beat us, but the fact that gang are sitting in the top four - while Ayr remain above them with a game in hand - tells you that a playoff place is there for the taking for anyone capable of basic competence. I’m not saying I expect us to be challenging for the top four, but even taking the budget cuts into account we shouldn’t be struggling to survive in such a hopeless standard of division.

Four or five game bubbles more than us

I think people are reading too much into the scouting remit.

Aye me too. From the thing at the Beacon it sounded like 3 guys who chip in with bits and pieces as per Hopkin's instructions. I'd suggest if there's a lack of scouting then it's because the boss hasn't organised anyone to report on the other team.

Aye me too. From the thing at the Beacon it sounded like 3 guys who chip in with bits and pieces as per Hopkin's instructions. I'd suggest if there's a lack of scouting then it's because the boss hasn't organised anyone to report on the other team.

The suggestion above that he would also be doing next opponent scouting seemed unlikely but also thought his scouting duties amounted to just using his contacts to recommend a few players however, actually looking back at the Quotes from Hopkin on his appppointment does suggest a far more influential role.

Manager David Hopkin is thrilled to have been able to add Timmins to his coaching staff and revealed he will combine his primary duties with a recruitment and scouting role.

“He also has an expertise in recruitment, knows a lot of people in football, and will combine the goalkeeping role with scouting.

“He knows every player. He knows the market and doesn’t go to games where we can’t afford players. He has a successful track record of finding players and making them better.

“We need to tap into that, because we have to be stringent in what we want to do. It’s not about finances coming here, it’s about getting the opportunity to come and play. It’s a fantastic network of contacts to have.”

The suggestion above that he would also be doing next opponent scouting seemed unlikely but also thought his scouting duties amounted to just using his contacts to recommend a few players however, actually looking back at the Quotes from Hopkin on his appppointment does suggest a far more influential role.

Manager David Hopkin is thrilled to have been able to add Timmins to his coaching staff and revealed he will combine his primary duties with a recruitment and scouting role.

“He also has an expertise in recruitment, knows a lot of people in football, and will combine the goalkeeping role with scouting.

“He knows every player. He knows the market and doesn’t go to games where we can’t afford players. He has a successful track record of finding players and making them better.

“We need to tap into that, because we have to be stringent in what we want to do. It’s not about finances coming here, it’s about getting the opportunity to come and play. It’s a fantastic network of contacts to have.”

That only points to him having a hand in recruitment scouting rather than match and team scouting. They are two completely different animals and, given his strong background in coaching, I'd be surprised if Timmins has any significant background in match scouting. 

Given how tight the league is, I'm surprised we haven't got someone out watching our next opponents. I'd imagine that most, if not every, other club in the division has someone doing it. Knowing all of your opponents set piece routines and patterns of play beforehand, rather than trying to figure them out on the pitch, makes a huge difference. Three minute fuzzy YouTube highlight videos aren't going to give you that insight. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

That only points to him having a hand in recruitment scouting rather than match and team scouting. They are two completely different animals and, given his strong background in coaching, I'd be surprised if Timmins has any significant background in match scouting.

Given how tight the league is, I'm surprised we haven't got someone out watching our next opponents. I'd imagine that most, if not every, other club in the division has someone doing it. Knowing all of your opponents set piece routines and patterns of play beforehand, rather than trying to figure them out on the pitch, makes a huge difference. Three minute fuzzy YouTube highlight videos aren't going to give you that insight.

Yes, as I said, seems unlikely next opponent scouting was part of his remit.

Who was the Morton fan that got someone to do a full analysis of Morton's set piece routines a few seasons ago and posted them online, which unfathomably immediately preceeded our set piece effectiveness drying up?

Yes, as I said, seems unlikely next opponent scouting was part of his remit.

Who was the Morton fan that got someone to do a full analysis of Morton's set piece routines a few seasons ago and posted them online, which unfathomably immediately preceeded our set piece effectiveness drying up?

You mean this article?  https://www.esdfanalysis.com/set-piece-analysis/greenock-mortons-impressive-use-set-pieces/

Looking back at that now, we really were excellent at free kicks, its really annoying to watch our freekicks and corners now hit the first man, drift out of play, or we play a short pass and end up back at our own goalkeeper.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

Partick 3-1 up now.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived