What if we died? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What if we died?

TheGoon

Bit of a grim thought I know but oh we’re in very uncertain times. What would people do if we just closed down? Support another team? Chuck football entirely? What would you miss the most?

I can’t imagine going to watch anyone else, specifically St Mirren, Partick or the ugly sisters. I suspect Greenock Juniors if they hadn’t also kicked the bucket would be trying to pick up as many of our supporters as possible, a prospect about as enticing as watching the Wanderers with Dr Z. I think I’d still have a general interest in football but without an attachment to a particular team, which seems a bit hollow.

I’d miss the away days, I’d miss (most) of Cappielow and I’d miss the social aspect of it. I think I’d eventually get over it, but there’d always be a wee bit missing from my life without having us to follow and moan about.

Is there anyone that at this point, just wouldn’t care?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A: Start a new and better football club and demand entry to the North Caledonian League.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Bit of a grim thought I know but oh we’re in very uncertain times. What would people do if we just closed down? Support another team? Chuck football entirely? What would you miss the most?

I can’t imagine going to watch anyone else, specifically St Mirren, Partick or the ugly sisters. I suspect Greenock Juniors if they hadn’t also kicked the bucket would be trying to pick up as many of our supporters as possible, a prospect about as enticing as watching the Wanderers with Dr Z. I think I’d still have a general interest in football but without an attachment to a particular team, which seems a bit hollow.

I’d miss the away days, I’d miss (most) of Cappielow and I’d miss the social aspect of it. I think I’d eventually get over it, but there’d always be a wee bit missing from my life without having us to follow and moan about.

Is there anyone that at this point, just wouldn’t care?

A pint of cold Peroni on the veranda at the Wanderers - yes, I’m a member - sounds like a wonderful idea. I love the tall glasses!

1. Start new football club

2. Actually call them The Famous and watch LargsTON ragequit to go watch Cumnock or some such

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

If we'd died after the Scott era and not been resurrected ourselves, I'd have gone to watch the Greenock Juniors.

If we did go under in the aftermath of the current situation, and not be reformed, I'd probably chuck it all together.

While I miss not going to Cappielow, I'm not actually missing watching the football on TV etc. I'm not one for going to a game for the sake of it, that includes the National team, although I do watch on TV and hope they win I wouldn't call myself a fan.

Couldn't imagine supporting another club for the life of me.

Depends probably on if and when our business interruption insurance pays out. I see a number of companies are saying does not cover Covid 19.

Hopefully a new super Renfrewshire team located in BishopTON will rise from the devastation in Scottish football. That not being the case might catch a few Greenock junior games. Is Martin still involved?

Difficult to see all the clubs in Scotland surviving if football does not start up later this year, with fans being in attendance. If Morton ceased to exist,  I cannot see myself following another team aside from Scotland. I also miss the tribal preening, bitching, boasting, winding-up, highs and lows etc associated with football.

If for whatever reason we didn't create a phoenix club, I couldn't bring myself to support another football club.  Especially not gobshites like the Juniors. As much as I enjoy doing a spot of groundhopping when the opportunity presents itself, doing that constantly seems a bit sad and empty. I've got no fucking idea what I'd do. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

With the amount of people across Scotland who would be desperate to get football back, I can't imagine many clubs wouldnt either -

A. Survive

Or

B. Be replaced by phoenix clubs

Bigger worries surely for clubs who dont own their grounds.

We'll be fine.

Two things spring to mind: If there are tough times to come for Morton, then we won't be the only ones in the same predicament in fact half of the league will be in the same situation.

The Greenock/Gourock/Port conurbation is big enough to sustain a well run professional football club, so even if the current owners go under there will be some enterprising people/person to create a phoenix club, which I wouldn't be dead against given the circumstances.

*insert signature here*

Right now? I wouldn't care but wouldn't support anyone else. I'm a massive boxing fan so would probably just spend fortunes going to all the big fights across the world.

Its weird saying that when Morton has been such a massive part of my life but I really have become that detached now.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I’ve not missed it as much as I thought I would. Last couple of seasons I’ve been a lot less interested and not gone to as many games - not sure why, probably just fed up of us achieving the sum total of heehaw for years and no sign of that changing anytime soon. Don’t even get that same buzz when we score anymore - weird!

I doubt I’d be able to follow another club if we went under, although Hibs due to family connections I’ve always had a soft spot for so would maybe show a bit more interest in them.

If Morton folded permanently, I would never set foot in any Scottish ground again. Mind you if they did fold, I think they would probably come back, and the same applies to most clubs. All are affected by the current crisis and most will have similar problems.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I’ve struggled to get to Cappielow much over the last few seasons mainly due to the crowd I usually went with have all drifted away and have basically went on my own to games.

I probably would never go to a Scottish club match again and Hampden for internationals would be the extent of attending live matches. The thought of being an arm chair fan watching Jeff Stelling every Saturday afternoon is grim

here today, gone to hell

Archived