Worst Team of the Decade - Central Midfielders - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Worst Team of the Decade - Central Midfielders

50 members have voted

1. 1. Central Midfielders

• Neil MacFarlane
    • Stevie Masterton
    • Jim McAlister
    • Carlo Monti
    • Erik Paartalu
    • Graeme Holmes
    • Darren Young
    • Darren McGeough
    • Derek Young
    • Stephen Stirling
    • Reece Hands
    • Joe McKee
    • David Robertson
    • Robbie Crawford
    • Michael Miller
    • Gary Fraser
    • Gary Harkins
    • Conor McManus
    • Dylan Dykes
    • Reece Lyon
    • Chris Millar
    • Charlie Telfer
    • Cameron Blues
    • Luca Colville
    • Kyle Jacobs

I'm sorry. I just don't think that, 'kept a professional career going' as a player refers to playing part time at Airdrie. I would take that to mean that being a football player was their profession and main means of income. I can understand where you're getting a level of ambiguity from, but there's nothing in the context of the post which suggests any ambiguity over its meaning.

The level of football he plays is professional. Same as Sunday league is welfare, etc.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The level is meaningless. In football in Scotland (and most places) you can be registered as an amateur or registered as a professional. If you earn a pound a week, you need to be registered as a professional. But nobody would say that someone getting a fiver's bus money at Glasgow Perthshire was a professional. When someone is described as a professional footballer it's obvious from context what is being said.

EOho8Pw.png

The level is meaningless. In football in Scotland (and most places) you can be registered as an amateur or registered as a professional. If you earn a pound a week, you need to be registered as a professional. But nobody would say that someone getting a fiver's bus money at Glasgow Perthshire was a professional. When someone is described as a professional footballer it's obvious from context what is being said.

There's tens of thousands of people registered to play football in Scotland and only a handful as professionals.

The point was that he's one of that handful and has had a decent career in that respect. It doesn't make him a good player in the same was as Paartalu playing for years doesn't necessary make him one.

Incidentally, regarding Paartalu's international "career", am I not right in saying that Australia are somewhat unique in that they would often only cap domestic players for certain games against shite like The Solomon Islands or New Caledonia that weren't worthwhile bringing their European based players like Tim Cahill and Mark Viduka across the world for?

Of course, if any of the current Morton squad were to get capped by Scotland, they'd rightly cherish the honour, but there should perhaps be a bit of perspective put into his call up. Australian international, yes. But "international class"? Under normal circumstances, I'd very much doubt it.

Incidentally, regarding Paartalu's international "career", am I not right in saying that Australia are somewhat unique in that they would often only cap domestic players for certain games against shite like The Solomon Islands or New Caledonia that weren't worthwhile bringing their European based players like Tim Cahill and Mark Viduka across the world for?

Of course, if any of the current Morton squad were to get capped by Scotland, they'd rightly cherish the honour, but there should perhaps be a bit of perspective put into his call up. Australian international, yes. But "international class"? Under normal circumstances, I'd very much doubt it.

That's pretty much it. He got a call-up for a WC qualifier where Australia had already won their group and just brought a few Europeans, and didn't make it onto the pitch. Still a nice achievement but had the Euro contingent been there he'd have been nowhere near the squad. The caps he did get were at some made-up regional tournament where whoever could be bothered was tossed a training bib and told to warm up. He was playing in China at the time and the tournament was in South Korea.

EOho8Pw.png

Bit odd trying to say Fitzpatrick hasn’t been a professional player to be honest. Of course he is.

Paartalu started really well but never really maintained that level, brief moments here and there aside - absolutely no idea what kind of level he was playing at after he left, but it never really surprised me that he was able to have an alright career. Not a stand-out Morton player, but nowhere close to the likes of Dykes, Derek Young etc on the shiteness scale.

AWMSC

Archived