Scotland Vs Belgium/albania - Page 3 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scotland Vs Belgium/albania

He's just a wee w**k that has thus far got his own way. This excuse just isn't very well thought out and tbh i don't buy it. 

Surely an admittance that he's not being very professional if he's  that out of shape that he wants to stay at home and do some sort of fat burning sessions. 

Yep, agree entirely. He's thrown a strop about getting (rightly) dropped and another about McLeish saying Naismith had earned the jersey, probably thought everybody was going to sympathise with him and when even Rodgers  gave him short shrift he's had to come up with some shite excuse because he thinks he's too good not to be starting.

Aside from that, it's not, as you say, a very good look for a footballer who's demanding to be first choice for club and country to be saying he's not fit enough at this point of the season. 

AWMSC

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, agree entirely. He's thrown a strop about getting (rightly) dropped and another about McLeish saying Naismith had earned the jersey, probably thought everybody was going to sympathise with him and when even Rodgers  gave him short shrift he's had to come up with some s***e excuse because he thinks he's too good not to be starting.

Aside from that, it's not, as you say, a very good look for a footballer who's demanding to be first choice for club and country to be saying he's not fit enough at this point of the season. 

Had a right chuckle when he was screaming to the cameras (against Rosenburg) "im number one" or words to that effect as if the world owes him a favour. A guy that often spends half seasons in an injury/cream puff cycle. 

A cry for attention which has been well and truly rumbled. 

Thanks for the goals against England but unless you're going to mature and stop being a wee dick, you can kindly fuck off and let us get on with building on what's clearly a transition time for the national team. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I'm at pains to attach too much blame to Griffiths in all of this- I don't think he's quite in the Scott Tiffoney bracket of being as thick as f*ck, but I'd mitigate his decisions in saying that his judgement isn't always the best.

That bellend of a manager he has at his club I'd suggest has a pretty influential role in this, given his previous in encouraging Scott Brown to chuck it before he came back with his tail between his legs.

Also, this has been going on as long as I can remember watching Scotland with strikers- Maurice Johnston, Duncan Ferguson, Kris Boyd, Steven Fletcher and now Leigh Griffiths. Obviously just about every one of them have been under different managers, but there's far too much of a pattern her to solely blame the players when this has been happening for a generation.

Griffiths isn't blameless at all, but there are far too many other factors at play here.

Add Frank McAvennie, Charlie Nicholas, Brian McClair, Kris Commons and Don Hutchinson to the list. Outwith strikers see Richard Gough, Ian Ferguson, Stuart McCall, Andy Goram, David Weir amongst others.

Funnily enough I was reading about Steve Nicol and his Scotland career the other day, and it gives an interesting insight into some of the issues which were prevalent with Scotland in the past, and probably still exists today:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-roxburgh-treated-scotland-players-8788493

*insert signature here*

Celtic and their supporters hate Scotland, both as a concept and a national team, and will inconvenience and undermine it without a second's thought whenever it's to their benefit to do so. Seems fairly straightforward.

EOho8Pw.png

Of the things which irks me and perhaps many of my generation is the dewy eyed yearning for the past by pundits and older punters alike when they salivate about Baxter, Law, Dalglish etc. Whenever our generation had Duncan Ferguson but were denied this pleasure thanks to bad management at the SFA:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/duncan-ferguson-says-the-sfa-cost-1542759

If you look at the past 30 years of Scottish Football it has been a shitstorm of bad luck, bad management, changing global politics, failure to capitalise on the same opportunities as others, plus the sex abuse scandals at various senior clubs* have all conspired against Scotland's national game.

*This is something which cannot be underestimated. Only God himself will know just how many promising young careers were wrecked by the likes of Harry Dunn, James Torbett and the likes of them.

This is a bit of a taboo subject amongst Football supporters, but was there young Scots kids with the talents of Gareth Bale, Frank Lampard, wayne Rooney or Michael Owen amongst their victims? We will never know. Instead we will forever have to hear about how the younger generations are all crap because of PlayStations, Buckfast etc. By the same old girners.

*insert signature here*

Love him or hate him, this is what Scotland has been missing for the past 20 years:

Duncan-Ferguson.jpg

zzdti176838.jpg

1481809755034_lc_galleryImage_DUNCAN_FER

Edit to add:

I love that guy.

No goals in seven caps. Nope, haven't missed that one bit.  :1eye:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Really liked McFadden's comments on the situation, think it's fair to say he's not at all impressed. Always get the impression he'd be a great guy to have about the place for internationals, although sadly it's not as a player.

I would agree, but McFadden needs to be careful. He's Done a few interviews since joining Scotland which come across as very angry and a bit arrogant.

Seems to pointing the loaded gun at folk after just about every squad announcement.

Management team need to show a united front.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I would agree, but McFadden needs to be careful. He's Done a few interviews since joining Scotland which come across as very angry and a bit arrogant.

Seems to pointing the loaded gun at folk after just about every squad announcement.

Management team need to show a united front.

I think McLeish is pointing him in that direction. It allows McLeish the chance to get his message out there, but also have deniability if there is a want/need to get the player back involved. 

Mods, you're probably better editing the title of the thread. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

I think McLeish is pointing him in that direction. It allows McLeish the chance to get his message out there, but also have deniability if there is a want/need to get the player back involved. 

Aye, that's the way I see it.

I couldn't really care if any of the delicate wee flowers get a bit upset anyway. We've not qualified for 20 years, the management team should be being aggressive about it rather than just giving it the usual "we'll see what happens" soundbites.

AWMSC

Aye, that's the way I see it.

I couldn't really care if any of the delicate wee flowers get a bit upset anyway. We've not qualified for 20 years, the management team should be being aggressive about it rather than just giving it the usual "we'll see what happens" soundbites.

While I agree with you, I think McLeish knows he is walking a tightrope. He was not a popular choice and it won't take very long before the wolves start circling if/when it starts going wrong. If he overplays his hand and the players push back he could find himself in a very precarious position. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

While I agree with you, I think McLeish knows he is walking a tightrope. He was not a popular choice and it won't take very long before the wolves start circling if/when it starts going wrong. If he overplays his hand and the players push back he could find himself in a very precarious position. 

I mentioned this on another thread (or maybe this one), but the manner of his appointment significantly weakened his authority which meant he wasn't able to crack the whip over the Mexico/Peru farce and also meant that the many knives that would have been out for him even if he had been first choice were getting sharpened on a daily basis.

I reckon McLeish handled that situation pretty well, seemed to get have the players on side and, even though we lost, managed to gain a lot more out of it than you'd have expected in the first place. All of that served to strengthen his position in general, but in particular it allowed him to say "well, look at x, y and z who have taken the opportunity" and use it as a bit of leverage over players who didn't go. 

Factor in the win and very good performance against Albania (a game which, imo, was the real first step of his tenure) and I think he's absolutely entitled to play a bit of hard-ball at this point. No matter what he does some sections of the media and public won't take to him, so there's little point in him holding back; the knives are already out so he may as well do it his own way rather than pussyfooting around dicks like Griffiths. It's possible that he could overreach, as you say, but that's true of all managers.

It could all go tits up tomorrow, but as it stands I'm actually quite upbeat about our chances under McLeish. He wouldn't have been my pick but he's here now and I'm not overly upset about it at all.

In related news, I see that gormless tit Brown is piping up again: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45814174.

AWMSC

Was reading there that McLeish and his staff apparently got tore right into Griffiths at half-time of the Belgium game. Quite ****in right too, his performance in that was appalling. 

I know it was a bad team performance overall, but in individual terms Griffiths stood out as being lazy, huffy and lethargic rather than just not playing well. If McLeish had a go at him then more power to him. 

All that aside, Naismith's contribution to the national team over his career has well outweighed Griffiths'. You'd think we were punting Denis Law.

AWMSC

Indeed. A few goals aside, he's largely contributed hee haw. 

I agree but arguably he is still our best striker - Naismith has hardly been prolific and/or a stand-out in a Scotland strip. Don't get me wrong Griffiths is a complete daftie who plays for a horrible club but over the years the Scotland team has had its fair share of ****. Not sure a low IQ or over-sized ego should debar any player from being in the squad.

I might add that despite the goal-scoring stats being disappointing Dunc Ferguson is exactly the type of player largely missing in the modern era - if he played for your team you loved the big man. Cannot think of too many players who admit to preferring doos to people.

Archived