Right-backs over the past decade - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Right-backs over the past decade

TRVMP

We might as well look at the equally grim list of left backs while we're here. 

Dunning, your time to shine.

Mel Bottiglieri (going back more than 10 years here). Needed a taxi back after a surging run up the wing.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

We might as well look at the equally grim list of left backs while we're here. 

Dunning, your time to shine.

If we’re going back to 09/10 again:

Alex Walker (hardly played that season but was still at the club)

Kevin McKinlay

Carlo Monti

David MacGregor

Eddie Malone (trialist only)

Ross Forsyth

Thomas O’Ware

Creag Little (throw an 18 year old centre back in at left back at Fir Park, what could go wrong?)

Willie Dyer

Jordan Halsman

Marc fucking Fitzpatrick

Tomas Peciar

Mark Russell

Ricki Lamie

Jordan Allan (one start, one red card)

Lewis Strapp

Jack Iredale

Rory McKeown

You’re right, that is as bad if not worse. I wonder if we’ll see Robbie Muirhead there again.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If we’re going back to 09/10 again:

Alex Walker (hardly played that season but was still at the club)

Kevin McKinlay

Carlo Monti

David MacGregor

Eddie Malone (trialist only)

Ross Forsyth

Thomas O’Ware

Creag Little (throw an 18 year old centre back in at left back at Fir Park, what could go wrong?)

Willie Dyer

Jordan Halsman

Marc fucking Fitzpatrick

Tomas Peciar

Mark Russell

Ricki Lamie

Jordan Allan (one start, one red card)

Lewis Strapp

Jack Iredale

Rory McKeown

You’re right, that is as bad if not worse. I wonder if we’ll see Robbie Muirhead there again.

The good, the bad and the ugly in there. Absolute cretins like McKinlay and Monti, likable guys who weren't quite up to the required standard like MacGregor and Forsyth, nonentities like Halsman and Allan, all the way through to players like Lamie and Iredale. 

And of course, Marc fucking Fitzpatrick. Where did he finish in our 'biggest wanker to have played for the club' contest? 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

David MacGregor is an interesting one. I thought he was very reliable during the period in question, but was a bit of a bombscare (copyright LargsTon) earlier in his career when we came up from the 3rd.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Left backs list isn't that bad really

McKinlay, Russell, Dyer, Iredale were all solid enough Championship players with us. Sir Richard was better as CB of course, but was still reasonable enough when deployed there in his last couple of seasons. Strapp early days, but likewise looks to be  run-of-the-mill Championship LB.

I always thought David O'Brien would have made a good converted left-back.

Colin Stewart blamed Irons for ruining his confidence. This was relayed to me by someone who actually knew Colin.

So how did his confidence remain so intact throughout Irons' reign that he immediately went on to become our best performers during the largely wretched 2009/10 campaign; only for him to then shovel in goals every single week over the following two years? Does he think that Irons (removed from his position in September 2009) was using a Ouija board to turn him into a crap goalkeeper?

Colin Stewart can try blaming astrology or any number of other excuses while he's at it; the facts of the matter are that he was just a gubbins clownshoes who eventually got found out. 

Still waiting for evidence that I ever claimed he injured his own players. I make no secret that didn't like the guy (I've liked almost nobody since Stark) but unless I'm being mixed up with someone else who didn't like Irons -  that's a fucking whopper. 

I didn't say that you made that claim; in fact I believe it was part of Colkitto's all too shrieking repertoire of slurs and patently obvious nonsense directed at Irons. A sad, strange little man. 

Sad!

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Stewart's obviously home-edited Wikipedia page does however shed some more light on his actual grievance with big, bad Irons:

Stewart was originally expected to be the first choice goalkeeper for season 2008–09, however after a shaky début against Clyde at Broadwood on 2 August 2008, he was dropped for the former St Johnstone goalkeeper Kevin Cuthbert, who was listed as a trialist on the substitutes bench for that game. After this he spent most of his début season in the stand, with manager Davie Irons preferring to list youth players Kieran Cannon and Ryan McWilliams as the back-up goalkeepers to Cuthbert. Despite having a year left on his contract with Morton, he was told in May 2009 that he was free to find another club.

So not so much 'David Irons destroyed my confidence as a goalkeeper' so much as 'I destroyed David Irons' confidence by being a clownshoes, got rightfully dropped as punishment and am still trembling with rage about it'. 

Oh dear, how sad, never mind. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

David MacGregor is an interesting one. I thought he was very reliable during the period in question, but was a bit of a bombscare (copyright LargsTon) earlier in his career when we came up from the 3rd.

I've spoken to MacGregor a few times, he's a lovely guy and has a real affinity for Morton, but we should have cut the chord with him long before we did. In terms of the amount of money we've spunked away over the last fifteen years, keeping MacGregor on was nowhere near our biggest waste, but better and more reliable options were available and we should have upgraded on him. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

McGregor was never a reliable defender in the Moore period, his concentration wasn't good enough and after his injuries there was not enough else in his game to make up for that. It's remarkable that he kept getting a game for so long tbh. 

Mel scored one of the best goals I’ve seen at Cappielow. A belter into the top corner in a 5-0 win over Gretna.

The third game in our five game run of clean sheet victories that got us the 3rd Division title.

Five games that MacGregor missed through injury (could be just a coincidence, as the team seemed fired up to make amends for the Albion Rovers debacle).

The third game in our five game run of clean sheet victories that got us the 3rd Division title.

Five games that MacGregor missed through injury (could be just a coincidence, as the team seemed fired up to make amends for the Albion Rovers debacle).

Debacle seems a generous description of that. Utterly grim.

I'm not for a second going to suggest MacGregor was anywhere near good enough over the piece or that he didn't overstay his welcome by a long way, but in many ways he was everything that you'd want a player at our level to be. If everybody had the same attitude and approach as he did we wouldn't have lingered in the Second Division for so long; unfortunately for him though, if everybody played like him we'd struggle to get out of the Third.

As a general point, it always seems a shame to see players who have the right attitude and who always put a shift in struggling and dropping out of the game, especially when we've had so many talented players who haven't bothered their arse. We rarely find a happy medium.

AWMSC

That would be claiming that Paul Gaughan or Robbie Henderson were better than MacGregor - they weren't. It was a coincidence. 

The defensive record under Cowboy that season was actually pretty good (with a couple of exceptions) up to that point as well. We actually kept 6 clean sheets in MacGregor's last 9 league games before he got injured - that stat alone surely puts this to bed. Marco was also missing for the Albion game, which was our only defeat in our last 11 matches that season (9 wins out of that). 

Mel also came back in for Dale for those last 5 games. Williams came back into form. Annand settled into the team. There were certainly a few factors in our last 5 run, and it wasn't even that out of character for the team that season. 

I remember watching the Albion Rovers score on Teletext. That's how bloody long ago it was. And commiserating with a mate on MSN Messenger that we weren't going up.

I was on a trip with around 30 school kids and got the score by text “2-1 Rovers. Yardley winner. Shite” and only just managed not to swear in front of my charges.

Told the only other adult who was remotely interested in football that we would be having another season in the 3rd.

The East Fife away game the week before the Gretna game was incredible.

Archived