Greenock & Inverclyde - Page 25 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Greenock & Inverclyde

Flyerton

How will you vote?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. You decide

• Scottish Labour Party
    • SNP
    • Other

Guest David Edwards
That's good! Some semblance of an answer even if it is laden with more left wing catch phrases than anything allegedly tory I have ever posted. "Repair the social fabric" Who can disagree with that - I don't! "Address the dependency culture" Again, there can be no disagreement. Ditto "abstinence and rehabilitation rather than the failed methadone programme"

The question is, how are you going to pay for that? Once people are re-habilitated, where will they work? OK you can do a bit through the public sector and capital projects but essentially you have to get this nation creating wealth again and that's not happening fast enough. We need to get back to making things or providing services that other nations want to buy, otherwise our introverted public sector based economy disappears slowly up its own ar&e! I have hopes for the SNP's focus on renewables and personally think that water may be a big resource for the future. There has never been a nation on earth that has created economic wealth without the help of its entrepreneurs (code for businessmen). We need profitable businesses which pay taxes in their own right but also provide jobs and yet more taxes. If that results in some people getting rich so be it!

Its all chickens and eggs!

:lol: Mince more like.

And there goes Mr Magoo playing darts again, missing the target every time. You really have no grasp at all on what might constitute a 'less is more', sustainable alternative to the failed consumerist model. First you say Inverclyde should be transformed into a commuters' town with an economy based on tourism and leisure (heritage centres and marinas), now you say our future lies in manufacturing and services. Confusion reigns as ever.

This country needs entrepreneurs (code for chancers, like Murray, Souter, Trump and such like) as badly as it needs another Thatcher or Blair.

Just like Mandelson, you're comfortable with people getting filthy rich and will pay no mind at all to the ever widening gap between rich and poor.

We need rich people to pay taxes you say. Then you must be a very bad accountant indeed if you're not aware that the richer you are, proportionally the less tax you pay, and the very richest pay no taxes at all. Perhaps your accounts relate as little to reality as your muddled thoughts. :P

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agree Chris - and here is a spot the difference photie you should have used for your pig society manifesto - it was taken in Buck Hoose (still the largest council hoose in the country - I wonder if the housing benefit cap will apply to this residence?)

Thanks Dave will add that nice photo to my research .

And again you miss my basic point, i.e. the folly of treating the cause with the cause. You accuse others of being blind yet in terms of socieoeconomics you're more myopic than Mr Magoo. No 'blue sky thinking' (so like you to spout nonsensical managerialist cliches) required, rationality will do for a start.

The consumerist economic model that tories / neo-liberals like you propose and support is a miserable failure. In local, national and global contexts it continues to enrich the few and impoverish the many, laying waste to the environment in the process. It is 'broke' and we do need to fix it.

Look to the long term for once (I know that's difficult for a bean counter, but no one is beyond redemption). :D For all our sakes, we must move towards a more sustainable, self-sufficient and equitable socieoeconomic system, firmly rooted in democracy, social justice and social equality.

In the short to medium term we need to begin the repair of the social fabric with a multi-agency approach. We need to rehabilitate an underclass presently steeped in a dependency culture. This will entail radical reform of welfare systems (not their abolition as the Con-Dems would prefer), dealing with addiction by abstinence and rehabilitation rather than the failed methadone programme, back-to-work training to build self esteem and inculcate social responsibility, and capital public works programmes to provide full employment.

Of course all of this requires investment, a level of spending that the establisment would have us believe we can't afford. More tory bollocks I say, the truth is we can't afford not to if we want a future at all.

I agree with you entirely, Mr E, particularly with the need to deal with the addiction problems that are responsible for a large proportion of our petty crime. As far as funding is concerned, scrap Trident and stop invading people and there should be plenty of money to improve the things that matter.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

That's good! Some semblance of an answer even if it is laden with more left wing catch phrases than anything allegedly tory I have ever posted. "Repair the social fabric" Who can disagree with that - I don't! "Address the dependency culture" Again, there can be no disagreement. Ditto "abstinence and rehabilitation rather than the failed methadone programme"

The question is, how are you going to pay for that? Once people are re-habilitated, where will they work? OK you can do a bit through the public sector and capital projects but essentially you have to get this nation creating wealth again and that's not happening fast enough. We need to get back to making things or providing services that other nations want to buy, otherwise our introverted public sector based economy disappears slowly up its own ar&e! I have hopes for the SNP's focus on renewables and personally think that water may be a big resource for the future. There has never been a nation on earth that has created economic wealth without the help of its entrepreneurs (code for businessmen). We need profitable businesses which pay taxes in their own right but also provide jobs and yet more taxes. If that results in some people getting rich so be it!

Its all chickens and eggs!

Quick edit for double negative!

...and I also agree with, em, Nick. I don't think your views and Mr E's views are entirely opposed. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I agree with you entirely, Mr E, particularly with the need to deal with the addiction problems that are responsible for a large proportion of our petty crime. As far as funding is concerned, scrap Trident and stop invading people and there should be plenty of money to improve the things that matter.

No !!! we need these things to make us look significent with our equally misguided friends in the US. These are the tools that create our global policeman badge while festering a culture of inequality.

Archived