The Prize For Crap Statue Award Goes To... - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Prize For Crap Statue Award Goes To...

capitanus

Expanding the criteria slightly from life-like statues to shit sculptures generally - the tit who made those two eyesores on either side of Greenock town centre runs away with this prize. Charging tens of thousands of pounds to put up a sculpture of a fucking horse; as if this is Falkirk where that would be viewed as tourist attraction of the decade. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In general you can get away with quite a lot in sculpture, on account of 21st century art being, for the most part, completely fucking degenerate. The ancients could carve busts with verisimilitude, ones that (we can safely assume) looked like their subjects, and they did it all by hand. The combined wile of the Madeirense, with all the technology modern Portugal affords, came up with... this thing. And as vT mentions, what passes for symbolic is generally navel-gazing rubbish when it's paid for by the public dime.

We're in a bad shape aesthetically, boys, here in the West. Either it's a crap attempt at something that could have been done a million times better by guys who didn't know what an atom was, or it's corrugated metal and/or daintily-cut fiberglass masquerading as something meaningful.

My heart soars when I see the few early 20th century buildings near me, replete with angels in the architecture. It then sinks when I see the already-irrelevant sculptures here in Dallas of just ten years of age. Oddly enough the same is true in Greenock. Which would you rather, aesthetically - the Beacon or the Custom House? Shit, how about the Beacon or the old Arts Guild?

EOho8Pw.png

Archived