Morton vs Ross County - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton vs Ross County

Jamie_M

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need a permanent solution to this, just imagine the issues if by some miracle we ever got promoted.

I chinned Warren Hawke about the gantry issue when I was at Hospitality earlier this year, and brought up this very point. His answer was that a longer term solution was possible that wouldn't impact fans as much, but cost made it unworkable for a one off game. If we were to get promoted, that would make it financially worth it.

So the fans aren’t “the utmost priority’ in the club’s decision-making then.

It would of course be possible to shunt the directors or hospitality out of the way and film the game from the main stand instead. That wouldn’t be a long term solution either, but surely they could take the hit for every ‘one off game’ until the club bothers to solve the issue?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

So the fans aren’t “the utmost priority’ in the club’s decision-making then.

It would of course be possible to shunt the directors or hospitality out of the way and film the game from the main stand instead. That wouldn’t be a long term solution either, but surely they could take the hit for every ‘one off game’ until the club bothers to solve the issue?

Almost certain the main stand is unworkable because neither of those options were even given passing thought.

They’ve probably just remembered they got asked about this a year ago, and now we’ve got a live game coming up they’re talking s***e.

The Celtic Q/F in 1999 had the suspended gantry, and the Motherwell Q/F replay was filmed from the main stand. Got no idea why the main stand is deemed unsuitable now.

Long time ago now, and doesn't really matter, but I'm sure the gantry used for the Celtic Q/F in 99 was actually cantilevered out from a scaffold erected towards the rear of the shed (sort of like a diving  board); I think it may also have been tied to, but not suspended from, the roof structure.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

A suspended gantry in the Cowshed can't be done for several reasons but the requirement for level access as opposed to a ladder is the real problem. Would require a walkway leading to the rear of the terracing. I looked at the possibility a year or so ago and the only way you can really get round it is probably to have a cantilever roof so that the pillars aren't there any more, which would allow cameras at the back of the terracing.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Alibi, how much would you estimate it would cost to take down the cowshed roof and replace it with a cantilever one? What about cost of building a decent cantilever roof at Dublin End also?

Probably far more expensive than a very decent striker.

This is my sort of area, it's difficult to come up with an off the top of the head sort of figure. If you're completely replacing one type of structure with another (cowshed) you've got demolition costs, digging out old/ forming new foundations, new steelwork, cladding & gutters etc plus new lighting/pa etc. This is assuming the local authorities don't take the opportunity to insist on access ways/ walkways being upgraded in your new structure. The WDE already has plans drawn up that I saw drawings of after Morton bought the St Mirren roof steel some years back. That involved taking away the top six rows of benches to reduce the height and make the roof structure fit. I seem to remember a figure of @ £250k being bandied about for the WDE at the time, but that included for seating.

The scaffolding is a real pain for sure. We could really do with a supporter winning the Euro Millions and splashing some cash at the club to modernise the facilities and up the overall budget.

If I win the lottery I'll be constructing a passageway straight from the Norseman to my spot in the Cowshed. The rest of the stadium can stay the way it is.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Just thinking by the way...if there's no justification for the expenditure required for a TV gantry, why was there such a rush to fling six figures on new turnstyles? Neither of these things were pressingly urgent and yet here we are.

Electronic turnstiles were urgent I'd imagine as the club have been getting fleeced out of money for decades on the old ones.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived