Morton Etiquette - Page 3 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Etiquette

TheGoon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember them playing Hibs in the late 80s/early 90s in the UEFA Cup, and then they seemed to appear from nowhere again last season.

Who knocked them out of Last season’s Europa League? If I didn’t watch it I certainly caught a bit of it.

I just looked it up, and last month they changed their name AGAIN. They're now MOL Fehérvár FC (coz they're from the city of Székesfehérvár, and now sponsored by the MOL oil company instead of the Videoton manufacturing concern.)

They were in the group stage last year, with Chelsea, PAOK, and BATE, after being one goal away from the CL group stage, losing in the end to AEK.

That Hibs game was just a few years after they got to the UEFA Cup Final, where they lost 3-1 on aggregate to Real Madrid. So they didn't quite come out from nowhere, but it proves my point that just because a team gets to a final doesn't mean they're famous. Hell, I doubt most people remember who lost the 2014-15 Europa League final, or know what happened to them after that, and that was just a few years ago.

EOho8Pw.png

Counterpoint: nobody outside of Scotland remembers that, just as 98% of Morton fans won't remember Mechelen, Bastia, Videoton, Carl Zeiss Jena, MTK, Gornik Zabrze, Zwickau, Waterschei*, Reims, Ujpest, or any other bin outfit to have made a semi-final or final in Europe.

*now merged into another one of those regen Belgian teams whose name sounds like a sneeze, I forget which and don't want to know.

I don't think that Dundee United (or Dundee for that matter) are quite at the same level of some of the clubs you've mentioned.

Incidentally, I once knew a girl whose family were all Carl Zeiss Jena supporters and through her I once developed an interest in them. They were a works team for an optronics manufacturer in the former East Germany, and the team was arguably a casualty of German reunification.

The ECWC final between Carl Zeiss Jena and Dinamo Tblisi in Stuttgart had the lowest ever crowd for a European Final as East Germans weren't allowed to travel to the game.

Also, Carl Zeiss Jena Binoculars from the DDR era are sought after collectors items due to their high military spec quality.

*insert signature here*

Some of them, yes. Some (like Zwickau) are really obscure now much as CZJ are. And you're correct that this is down to reunification. Ossi clubs have struggled hugely since then and only five have played in the Bundesliga. Those following my brilliant set of quizzes will have a question about that in the morning.

But Vidi are regularly in Europe. And I think Gornik are still the record title holders in Poland. If not they're certainly close. Bastia until recently played in the French top flight; Reims are back in it. And Mechelen get a pass on their miasmic Belgiancy by having beaten St. Mirren back in the 80s in the Cup Winners' Cup at Love Street - they went on to win the tournament.

The overarching point is that only total sadacts are sitting about in Budapest or Krakow saying, "ooh, remember Dunfermline Athletic?"

Club logos are another of my very sad loves, and I've always loved Jena's. Very stylish. Germany is one of the best countries for logos in general.

220px-Logo_FC_Carl_Zeiss_Jena.svg.png

EOho8Pw.png

This is correct, and the clumpany name since 1896 has been Greenock Morton Football and Athletic Club Ltd.

Although we should probably get rid of the athletic part.

They actually dropped the Athletic part (and the comma) from the registered company name back in 1992.

In terms of club (rather than company) name, we seem to have flipped between just Morton and Greenock Morton.   If you look at historic badges we were Morton in 1964, Greenock Morton when the new badge design was introduced in 1978, and back to just Morton by 1993 (possibly earlier) before again changing to Greenock Morton

When watching for scores on Grandstand and Teletext (or Ceefax and Oracle!) as a kid, we were always listed as Morton up to around the mid-90's at which time Wilson announced that we were changing the name to Greenock Morton.   Hugh Scott then tried to revert back to Morton when he was planing to relocate us, which was obviously resisted.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

The Companies House website still has Athletic in; why?

The Companies House listing for SC003264 is "Greenock Morton Football Club Limited"; the previous company name for SC003264 is listed as "Greenock Morton Football and Athletic Club, Limited" from 30 July 1896 to 19 November 1992.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Counterpoint: nobody outside of Scotland remembers that, just as 98% of Morton fans won't remember Mechelen, Bastia, Videoton, Carl Zeiss Jena, MTK, Gornik Zabrze, Zwickau, Waterschei*, Reims, Ujpest, or any other bin outfit to have made a semi-final or final in Europe.

*now merged into another one of those regen Belgian teams whose name sounds like a sneeze, I forget which and don't want to know.

Old enough to remember Mechelen winning Cup Winners cup and Waterschei is who Aberdeen knocked out on way to winning EWC. Pretty sure Videoton played Man utd in Uefa cup in 80s too.

"2%er" found^^^

Do you remember the 2015 final?

Without checking, Sevilla beat Dinipro in Warsaw?

What I remember of it was that my (Motherwell supporting) mate had tickets for it and as a result missed their SWORDING of Rangers in the play off final first leg at Ibrox the following night.

He wasn’t best pleased.

Archived