Improving Football In Scotland - Targeting Demographics - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Improving Football In Scotland - Targeting Demographics

Clydeview

Having watched both youth football and rugby in recent years, it's very easy to see that the better athletes, in terms of height/speed/strength, are on the rugby pitch. Many of the teams I've seen at u14 level rugby have been filled with rapid 6 footers, something you just don't see at football.

This ties in with rugby being more of a 'middle-class' game. Many studies (and actual figures, British Olympic squads for example) show that a hugely disproportionate number of top UK athletes come from middle-class backgrounds. Given this fact, surely Scottish football should be targeting middle-class kids if they want to improve the game at the top level?

Taking football away from the 'working-class' to improve standards. Controversial? Would it work?

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched both youth football and rugby in recent years

That's plenty - stopped reading; awarded red dot anyway. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Having watched both youth football and rugby in recent years, it's very easy to see that the better athletes, in terms of height/speed/strength, are on the rugby pitch. Many of the teams I've seen at u14 level rugby have been filled with rapid 6 footers, something you just don't see at football.

This ties in with rugby being more of a 'middle-class' game. Many studies (and actual figures, British Olympic squads for example) show that a hugely disproportionate number of top UK athletes come from middle-class backgrounds. Given this fact, surely Scottish football should be targeting middle-class kids if they want to improve the game at the top level?

Taking football away from the 'working-class' to improve standards. Controversial? Would it work?

Picking players for height and strength over ability at that age caused some of the issues in the first place.

Picking players for height and strength over ability at that age caused some of the issues in the first place.

Morton pro-youth certainly not going for height and strength from what I've seen. The quickest/strongest young players are always more likely to make it to the first team... Quitongo a perfect example. Mark Russell also made it due to pace. 

Going further back, Davie Hopkin wasn't much of a player when he first appeared, but got himself built-up, and basically made a great career from it.

Brian Reid... strength.

Derek Lilley, strength and pace...

Derek McInnes, was going nowhere at Morton until he got himself much fitter/stronger (thanks to Lindberg for setting the example)

Mahood - got a move based on ability, didn't have the required athleticism, back up to Scotland.

Tidser -  got a move based on ability, didn't have the required athleticism, back up to Scotland.

Basically you have to be a very good athlete to progress.... and football misses out on many of the countries top athletes.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Morton pro-youth certainly not going for height and strength from what I've seen. The quickest/strongest young players are always more likely to make it to the first team... Quitongo a perfect example. Mark Russell also made it due to pace.

Going further back, Davie Hopkin wasn't much of a player when he first appeared, but got himself built-up, and basically made a great career from it.

Brian Reid... strength.

Derek Lilley, strength and pace...

Derek McInnes, was going nowhere at Morton until he got himself much fitter/stronger (thanks to Lindberg for setting the example)

Mahood - got a move based on ability, didn't have the required athleticism, back up to Scotland.

Tidser - got a move based on ability, didn't have the required athleticism, back up to Scotland.

Basically you have to be a very good athlete to progress.... and football misses out on many of the countries top athletes.

Tell that to Messi and Xavi...

On a more serious point, it's clearly wrong if 14 year olds are being written off on the basis of strength and height when they've got still got growing to do -

ability has to be the main focus. Rugby, where there's little skill involved, might be different.

On a more serious point, it's clearly wrong if 14 year olds are being written off on the basis of strength and height when they've got still got growing to do -

ability has to be the main focus. Rugby, where there's little skill involved, might be different.

Although I am no rugby fan, to say there is little skill involved suggests you know little about the game.

As for the suggestion that rugby is getting all the best young athletes, I see little evidence of this in the Edinburgh area and this is arguably one of rugby's 'heartlands'. The reality is the best young athletes are playing multiple sports until they require to specialize. 

172636.gif

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Although I am no rugby fan, to say there is little skill involved suggests you know little about the game.

As for the suggestion that rugby is getting all the best young athletes, I see little evidence of this in the Edinburgh area and this is arguably one of rugby's 'heartlands'. The reality is the best young athletes are playing multiple sports until they require to specialize.

Well it's a lot less skill and ability than is needed in football...

Taking football away from the 'working-class' to improve standards. Controversial? Would it work?

Yeah, and all black men can run faster and jump higher. 

Seriously, who left the gate open on the cúnt farm ?  

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Not like you to use sweeping generalisations - actually, hold that thought - can someone now close the gate at the aforementioned farm, we have two of them on the loose.

To say that all black people are going to be fast and agile is wrong. To say that the fastest people will, 9 times out of 10, be black (more specifically of West African origin or descent), is 100% correct. There are numerous biological reasons for this, as with the ones that see people from the East African steppes and highlands dominate long-distance running and if and when the 2-hour marathon mark is ever broken it'll almost certainly be someone of Kenyan or Ethiopian extraction that manages it. Genetics are absolutely key at the top level of athletics. That and training - it is very common to see athletes out on the roads and trails of East Africa from a very young age as it's a ticket to financial security. But you can train as hard as you like, if you don't have the genes you'll never, ever crack the top ten.

EOho8Pw.png

To say that all black people are going to be fast and agile is wrong. To say that the fastest people will, 9 times out of 10, be black (more specifically of West African origin or descent), is 100% correct. There are numerous biological reasons for this, as with the ones that see people from the East African steppes and highlands dominate long-distance running and if and when the 2-hour marathon mark is ever broken it'll almost certainly be someone of Kenyan or Ethiopian extraction that manages it. Genetics are absolutely key at the top level of athletics. That and training - it is very common to see athletes out on the roads and trails of East Africa from a very young age as it's a ticket to financial security. But you can train as hard as you like, if you don't have the genes you'll never, ever crack the top ten.

If you ever get the chance, read about why black people don't make good swimmers. All to do with lack of buoyancy, very interesting indeed.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

If you ever get the chance, read about why black people don't make good swimmers. All to do with lack of buoyancy, very interesting indeed.

I read about that a few years ago because I was interested in Michael Phelps, who has an unusual arm span, several inches longer than his body length. I was interested in the other factors at play (joint flexibility etc.) and found out about people of African descent having different properties. It's quite fascinating, the role genetics play in sport. As sport continues to become more lucrative I fully expect clubs and indeed countries to start buying up hot genetic properties in infancy. Which is depressing.

EOho8Pw.png

Well it's a lot less skill and ability than is needed in football...

Ha, try tackling a 14 stone guy running at pace... and the umpteen other skills that are required.  Have also seen inter-schools rugby recently, where one team was made up entirely of regular rugby players, against boys that only played at school.... utterly one-sided, all opposition outclassed, due to the skills possessed by the regular players.

All of the above begs the question, why have Scotland been so s*** at rugby for the past 25 years?

Stop asking relevent questions that confirm Zhivago's status as a complete spunk gargler.

All of the above begs the question, why have Scotland been so s*** at rugby for the past 25 years?

Hmm... it doesn't really. Rugby in general (worldwide) pulls its players from middle class backgrounds, so England/Ireland/Wales/Australia are all selecting from the demographic that's likely to have the best athletes.i.e. no advantage for Scotland. Also have to remember that Scotland are always competing against the elite of world rugby, so while being s*** for the past 25 years, Scotland has probably always been in the top 10 in the world.

Archived