Annan v The Famous - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Annan v The Famous

vikingTON

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it too early to tell our chances of making it out the group? Dunning I'm looking for you here.

Beat QoS and it's pretty much a certainty. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Football clubs get far more prize money for playing at this level than at the start of the decade - and gate revenues have also increased well over inflation - so it’s about time someone explained where all the money has gone to and why clubs can no longer build a credible squad for mid-July. If it’s due to the shite, overpaid journeymen in the Anglo-Scottish market (which it almost certainly is) then all the more reason to invest in scouting the financially poorer leagues of eastern Europe. It would pay off tenfold in very little time at all.

I'd also like to know this. As we all know, the 1978-79 team that challenged for the title was largely if not entirely part-time, but the big shift to full-time even in the second tier happened not too long after that. By the mid-90s at the latest, any club with serious pretensions towards promotion to the top flight was full-time. So that's 25+ years now of the reality of football at this level. As you say, prize money and league sponsorship money has risen well above inflation. For most clubs, gate receipts will have done likewise, or at least stayed static (there are of course outliers in both directions - St. Johnstone are now much better-off than then; Airdrie, the opposite. But across the league the average will be true.)

But at the same time, I don't think it's as simple as saying that player wages have inflated in Scotland in that time. Frankly I have no idea if it's true or not, but I'd be tempted to say it's not. Leaving aside outliers - Dunfermline paying an entire squad's wages to Stevie Crawford, for example - do we have any evidence that this is the case? Frankly I think it's more likely to have gone the other way, with many players now on less than before. Which does once again raise the question of where the money is going (million-pound budgets for 'wiping seagull shite off the crush barriers' notwithstanding.)

EOho8Pw.png

Beat QoS and it's pretty much a certainty. 

Yep, and if Forfar lose their next two games (County, St. Johnstone), even a draw could be enough. Lots of other permutations but that's the one I'm looking out for.

EOho8Pw.png

Yep, and if Forfar lose their next two games (County, St. Johnstone), even a draw could be enough. Lots of other permutations but that's the one I'm looking out for.

We've gubbed the teams we were meant to (so far). Got gubbed by the team much better than us. I'd rather we comfortably turn a side at our level over at home to settle us going into the league. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Inverness now losing to Cove Rangers.

Also, Dundee United losing 2-0 at home to East Fife.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Falkirk all but out.

LOL

Stranraer just pulled one back against Livi, it's not over yet.

Apparently Falkirk have defensive squad issues like ours. Which is the weest of shames for them.

EOho8Pw.png

Stranraer just pulled one back against Livi, it's not over yet.

Apparently Falkirk have defensive squad issues like ours. Which is the weest of shames for them.

Falkirk will finish on 7 (not usually enough for a 2nd place team) - either Ayr or Livi will finish above them anyway. I'd say F*lk*rk are out.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Falkirk will finish on 7 (not usually enough for a 2nd place team) - either Ayr or Livi will finish above them anyway. I'd say F*lk*rk are out.

7 could be enough this year, I reckon, that's the thing. Admittedly it's a long shot.

EOho8Pw.png

7 could be enough this year, I reckon, that's the thing. Admittedly it's a long shot.

ICT now winning, but they play Dundee in their final game. One of those two will finish on less than 9.

Archived