Cyril Regis - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Cyril Regis

I don't tend to watch the news or read news papers but tonight I'm obviously watching the FA Cup only to find out about the death of Cyril Regis, I remember having the pleasure of meeting him in the 70's at Inverclyde in Largs, as a team they were only allowed to use the facilities but not allowed to stay there because it was a Scottish Sports facility. As a kid you don't realise what these black players went through, I found him to be a real gentleman and great with us that just turned up that day to watch them train. It saddens me that racism still raises its head in football, it also saddens me that it was never challenged back then when I was too young to notice or understand it. I am really shocked at his death but his legacy speaks for itself.

R.I.P. Cyril

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

Surprised to hear this as he was relatively young - dead at 59, apparently, from a heart attack. Shocking stuff. AJC is right, guys like this blazed a trail in what could be a cold and hostile, sometimes even violent footballing world (and society.)

EOho8Pw.png

Surprised to hear this as he was relatively young - dead at 59, apparently, from a heart attack. Shocking stuff. AJC is right, guys like this blazed a trail in what could be a cold and hostile, sometimes even violent footballing world (and society.)

too many of these guys taken too young and the impact they had is understated, these guys played the game not for headlines or money but for the love of it. Cyril regis in these days would have been worth a fortune.

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

Archived