Morton vs. Alloa: The Hounding season continues.... 10/11/18 - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton vs. Alloa: The Hounding season continues.... 10/11/18

capitanus

Tidser has been at his best this season when he has had two more central players to work with. Lots of people have been saying they believe he works best as part of a three man midfield. Match him up with someone who can sit and break things up and then another, more mobile player willing to press and harass the opposition. This can happen with a 4-3-3 or a 5-3-2/3-5-2. The switch has been made to the latter as the forward options we have available at present are far more effective as a 2.

Johansson may have an entirely different system and style of play in mind as his ideal but we're not likely to see what that is, or if it works, until he's had a chance to recruit some players of his own choosing.

As others have said above, the fact we're not being dragged in to the relegation dogfight will see him through the New Year and, provided we stay comfortably above the bottom two, likely on until next summer.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a 4-4-2 with a narrow midfield when everyone is fit, or stick with the 5-3-2 if the players can understand how to play those roles (and were not being left with effectively a 5-2-3 like on Saturday).

A 4-4-2 with a narrow midfield sounds absolutely horrendous!

A 4-4-2 with a narrow midfield sounds absolutely horrendous!

It's very similar to the 5-3-2 that we're playing at the moment, except we would be using a deep lying midfield player instead of an extra centre half. My point was that if we cannot learn to be dynamic enough to play out with the 5 at the back, then the narrow 4-4-2 might be the closest alternative.

The vital point is that our defence has not coped under pressure and we need to set up to keep things tight. We could also play some good, old fashioned Duffyball and make sure the ball doesn't touch the ground in midfield.

Tumilty certainly fouls the Alloa player for the 2nd penalty but not convinced the foul was inside the box.

At the time I was sure it was a penalty but that view shows Tumilty lets go before the Alloa player gets to the 18 yard line. Ought to have been a free kick.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

We could also play some good, old fashioned Duffyball and make sure the ball doesn't touch the ground in midfield.

We have been at our absolute worst and least effective over the past 3 years when we have repeatedly hoofed high balls forward. We haven't had an effective target man to aim at to make the most of this tactic and have rarely seemed able to make use  of any balls our forwards actually won in the air. Quitongo obviously used his pace to get to balls over the top but how long were we able to use this tactic it had been scouted thoroughly by the entire division and thereafter rendered useless? We don't have anyone with blistering pace now, either, so that tactic is not an option.

Effectively, when we hit the ball up the park, we relinquish possession and invite pressure straight back upon ourselves. If we can bring in either a rapid forward or a giant hold-up guy then sure, we can go long as a back up option when the ability to pass it on the deck abandons us in a game. No way we should be doing it with the current squad.

We have been at our absolute worst and least effective over the past 3 years when we have repeatedly hoofed high balls forward. We haven't had an effective target man to aim at to make the most of this tactic and have rarely seemed able to make use of any balls our forwards actually won in the air. Quitongo obviously used his pace to get to balls over the top but how long were we able to use this tactic it had been scouted thoroughly by the entire division and thereafter rendered useless? We don't have anyone with blistering pace now, either, so that tactic is not an option.

Effectively, when we hit the ball up the park, we relinquish possession and invite pressure straight back upon ourselves. If we can bring in either a rapid forward or a giant hold-up guy then sure, we can go long as a back up option when the ability to pass it on the deck abandons us in a game. No way we should be doing it with the current squad.

We also probably wouldn't have lost that game on Saturday. We invited pressure but seldom afforded space in dangerous positions under Duffy.

I'm actually arguing for something very different though. The Duffyball would be the opposite of what I was trying to get across - that we either need Buchanan to step forward and start playing the ball on the ground, or put a midfield player (probably Millar) in the deep lying midfield role to come and take the ball. Either ways we need to protect a vulnerable defence while not leaving us with a man down for playing the ball through midfield.

The midfield 5 has to stay as Tids needs the cover to get on the ball. What needs to be ditched is the 3 centre back shambles. They don't know what their jobs are, big gaps are left on the wings and are easily exploited, and Kilday is simply not up to the task. Flat back 4 for me, bringing McKeown back in from the cold. Playing two up top isnt helping anything at the moment, leave Bob up there on his own until we can patch Denny back up.

I want a pretentious signature too.

The midfield 5 has to stay as Tids needs the cover to get on the ball. What needs to be ditched is the 3 centre back shambles. They don't know what their jobs are, big gaps are left on the wings and are easily exploited, and Kilday is simply not up to the task. Flat back 4 for me, bringing McKeown back in from the cold. Playing two up top isnt helping anything at the moment, leave Bob up there on his own until we can patch Denny back up.

It worked fine against QOTS and Patrick. It won’t work against every team.

The 4-3-3/4-5-1 system has been tried about 17 million times at Cappielow by lots of managers. It never works. And it’s utterly doomed to failure if they took this shan advice and put McHugh up front on his own to offer no threat in open play and two extra wide players playing despite our options being crap in those areas.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived