Morton team of the decade - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton team of the decade

Hej

As we're approaching the end of the decade, would be interesting to canvas the forum's opinion on this subject.

I'd go with

Gaston

Doyle - Gunning - Lamie - Russell

Forbes - Tidser - Bachirou - O'Brien

McManus - MacDonald

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i) This content would be better as a series of polls to let the people decide and 

ii) if Michael fucking Doyle gets in the team and Martin Hardie doesn't then the people should be urgently struck off the electoral register before December 12 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

David O'Brien was fucking quality. The other 2 noted were shite granted, but after them we're looking at Craig Reid and Willie Dyer/Kevin McKinlay. Fullbacks have been morbid here this decade.

A poll is a better idea, if someone would like to volunteer to organise.

David O'Brien was fucking quality. The other 2 noted were shite granted, but after them we're looking at Craig Reid and Willie Dyer/Kevin McKinlay. Fullbacks have been morbid here this decade.

A poll is a better idea, if someone would like to volunteer to organise.

O'Brien was alright n'at but this was mostly at Division Two level.

I started a thread on right-backs a while ago, and dunning catalogued the ones we've had this decade:

http://themortonforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43866&p=1127788

Kilday and Reid have as good a shout as Doyle. Van Zanten would have strolled it for me but he left just before 2010. 

EOho8Pw.png

Stuart Findlay, Jamie Lindsay, Lawrence Shankland!? Maybe not for what they did in a Morton shirt but definitely for what they've gone on to achieve.

A team of the players who went on to achieve things post-Morton would look very, very different to a Morton team of the decade. You could make a case for guys like Michael Gardyne, who was absolutely hopeless for us, and almost certainly Barrie McKay.

EOho8Pw.png

O'Brien was alright n'at but this was mostly at Division Two level.

I started a thread on right-backs a while ago, and dunning catalogued the ones we've had this decade:

http://themortonforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43866&p=1127788

Kilday and Reid have as good a shout as Doyle. Van Zanten would have strolled it for me but he left just before 2010.

O'Brien was a Moore signing in Division One, and one of his best players for us. Very good player.

Lindsay and Findlay are good shouts. Forgot about them. Could chuck Hardie, Witteveen, Imrie, Murdoch in there too.

A poll is the way to go.

Witteveen?

How many games did he play?

A poll would settle this surely.

Individual polls for defenders, Midfield and forwards.

Is Gaston a given as goalkeeper seeing that he came in 2012 and the previous keepers were Colin Stewart and Combe for a bit?

Witteveen?

How many games did he play?

A poll would settle this surely.

Individual polls for defenders, Midfield and forwards.

Is Gaston a given as goalkeeper seeing that he came in 2012 and the previous keepers were Colin Stewart and Combe for a bit?

He played exactly the same number as Gunning, who would(should) be nailed-on in everyone's team

Dougie Imrie just for that goal. Andy Murdoch was a decent wee player during his time with us.

Imrie could well be in on merit. An excellent player.

Murdoch was good for us but we've had some extremely strong central midfielders over the past ten years. If he was a right-back he'd be an absolute cert.

EOho8Pw.png

CM is the one area we’ve had decent players in for most of the time.

The trio of Tidser Fred and Hardie were a joy to watch. Lindsay and Murdoch were excellent as a pair as well.

Ross Forbes was also superb in 2016/17. Wand of a left foot.

Does Jenkins count even though he was only here until mid 2011?

Probably the most depressing thing I've ever seen

O'Brien? Russell? Doyle? Is that really the best we've managed in ten years?

You’re missing the point by a million miles! You’re meant to respond by picking you’re best eleven, not by trying to bully the initial poster into submission, like some sort of football manager who thinks he knows best. FFS think before you post!

You’re missing the point by a million miles! You’re meant to respond by picking you’re best eleven, not by trying to bully the initial poster into submission, like some sort of football manager who thinks he knows best. FFS think before you post!

You'll notice, if you read for comprehension, that I didn't dispute any of his picks.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived