General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 21 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

To be clear I'm also not a fan of London, just saying that's the way things are going these days. Teams will be owned by oligarchs and followed by global, largely-interchangable fanbases, with the occasional local still going along.

EOho8Pw.png

London's a s***ehole.

I'm indifferent to Man City, to be honest. You hear a lot of sanctimonious drivel about the money and all that, but a big whack of their fans were supporting them before the money came along and a decent number will have seen them relegated, all in the shadow of a much bigger, richer club.

It's hard to take a lot of the whinging seriously from people who have latched on to other big clubs from the off - you can't really be sitting in London with a Man Utd badge as your Twitter profile picture and piss and moan about glory-hunters.

Every big team has became a big team because they've had more money than most others.

Aye, I don't think anyone could begrudge the hardcore City fans any sort of success given what they had to watch United achieve over the last 25 years. Premier League fans are quick to moan about the gloryhunters and the armchair fans, but their league would be absolutely nothing without them.

Manchester United's success didn't happen overnight, and it all happened in a more organic manner than a lot of people nowadays would perhaps give them credit for. There was a four or five seasons of mid-table mediocrity when Alex Ferguson had taken over from Ron Atkinson in 1986, followed by a perfect storm of events which worked in Man Utds favour. These include, in no precise order:

English teams being banned from European tournaments following the Heysel disaster;

The Hillsborough disaster followed by Taylor Report;

The Liverpool/Everton dominance from the previous decade coming to an end;

The advent of Satellite Television, The creation of the FA Premiership and changes to distribution of TV Money;

Football becoming an attractive and interesting pastime for an increasingly upwardly mobile and affluent middle class, which happened in the aftermath of the 1990 world cup.

English clubs being allowed back into European tournaments, and Man United winning the European Cup Winners Cup on the first year back.

Man United winning the inaugural FA Premiership.

The 'coming of age' of the product of Bobby Charlton's soccer schools which scouted the whole of the UK over the previous decade for the best young players and unearthed some gems including Paul Scholes, David Beckham, The Neville Brothers and Nicky Butt.

Eric Cantona volleying a Crystal Palace fan for abusing him.

Arsenal manager George Graham getting the sack over illicit payments, followed by Bruce Rioch spunking an absolute fortune at the time on a mid-table finish.

Man United were the right club at the right time who were well managed and run and able to capitalise both on and off the park on what was things happening in Football. It wasn't someone turning up out of the blue and looking to launder a sovereign wealth funds profits, it was a lot more organic than that.

Edit to add: a lot of younger people who grew up in the era of Man United's dominance probably don't realise that Liverpool were the dominant club a few years beforehand, and pissed everyone off even more.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

To be clear I'm also not a fan of London, just saying that's the way things are going these days. Teams will be owned by oligarchs and followed by global, largely-interchangable fanbases, with the occasional local still going along.

Catch the train to London! Stopping at... Rejection, Disappointment, Back-stabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway!

London's a s***ehole.

I'm indifferent to Man City, to be honest. You hear a lot of sanctimonious drivel about the money and all that, but a big whack of their fans were supporting them before the money came along and a decent number will have seen them relegated, all in the shadow of a much bigger, richer club.

It's hard to take a lot of the whinging seriously from people who have latched on to other big clubs from the off - you can't really be sitting in London with a Man Utd badge as your Twitter profile picture and piss and moan about glory-hunters.

Every big team has became a big team because they've had more money than most others.

England's population make-up is considerably different from that of Scotland, as it has always been a more transient eg. People move around for work, study, family reasons etc. So it wouldn't be unusual for someone from Northwest of England to reside within the home counties.

Also,

Not everyone has a 'local' team, for example, if you stayed in the home counties - Haywards Heath or Hemel Hempstead for example - who are your local team? Yes, there will be teams within a 20 mile radius of various status, but you may not feel an emotional attraction or attachment to them. Man United were a club of convenience for many, they played nice Football, had the best players at the time, offered a bit of glamour, excitement and entertainment, were easily accessible and provided the perfect 'ready made' turnkey experience for the brand new Football fan.

Also, the name 'Man United' has more than one meaning, to most of us Man may be shortened for Manchester but if you are a young kid in Seoul, South Korea or in the Philippines and you are getting your first seeds of interest in Football, it could easily translate as 'Mankind United' - a club for everyone, everywhere.

There has been some top notch marketing over the years behind that club. Despite all their hundreds of millions invested from their Arab owners, Man City will never come close to being as popular Man United off the Park, and Man United will return to the top of the tree in footballing terms soon.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Hemel Hempstead have a football team - just because it’s gubbins doesn’t give you an excuse to gloryhunt.

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Manchester United's success didn't happen overnight, and it all happened in a more organic manner than a lot of people nowadays would perhaps give them credit for. There was a four or five seasons of mid-table mediocrity when Alex Ferguson had taken over from Ron Atkinson in 1986, followed by a perfect storm of events which worked in Man Utds favour. These include, in no precise order:

English teams being banned from European tournaments following the Heysel disaster;

The Hillsborough disaster followed by Taylor Report;

The Liverpool/Everton dominance from the previous decade coming to an end;

The advent of Satellite Television, The creation of the FA Premiership and changes to distribution of TV Money;

Football becoming an attractive and interesting pastime for an increasingly upwardly mobile and affluent middle class, which happened in the aftermath of the 1990 world cup.

English clubs being allowed back into European tournaments, and Man United winning the European Cup Winners Cup on the first year back.

Man United winning the inaugural FA Premiership.

The 'coming of age' of the product of Bobby Charlton's soccer schools which scouted the whole of the UK over the previous decade for the best young players and unearthed some gems including Paul Scholes, David Beckham, The Neville Brothers and Nicky Butt.

Eric Cantona volleying a Crystal Palace fan for abusing him.

Arsenal manager George Graham getting the sack over illicit payments, followed by Bruce Rioch spunking an absolute fortune at the time on a mid-table finish.

Man United were the right club at the right time who were well managed and run and able to capitalise both on and off the park on what was things happening in Football. It wasn't someone turning up out of the blue and looking to launder a sovereign wealth funds profits, it was a lot more organic than that.

Edit to add: a lot of younger people who grew up in the era of Man United's dominance probably don't realise that Liverpool were the dominant club a few years beforehand, and pissed everyone off even more.

United are probably the 'big' club in England I have most time for, however in recent times they've lost a lot of their identity by wielding the axe with managers. I'd like to see them get back to winning titles under Solskjaer. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

There’s more chance of a rocking horse doing a shite than them winning the league with that fraud.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

'Scandinavian international forward in being completely useless as a manager' shock.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

On the topic of utterly gubbins and pointless clubs that The Famous Must Take Serious Lessons From, I see that Davie McArthur's hipster choice FC United of Manchester are currently stinking out the Conference North in the sixth (lol) tier of the English leagues - they sit second bottom of the table and have already gone through one manager this season:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-north/table

Who would have predicted* that running up the scores in the diddiest of English leagues like a souped-up Gretna wasn't actually a groundbreaking and sustainable model for building a football club; not least when they're now up against all the much larger clubs who have done a Rangers that are ten a penny at that level.

Bump. 

To put the cherry on the cake of what was an utterly sumptuous long weekend of horrible football clubs being sworded, FCUM were relegated to the next diddy tinpot level of the English regional leagues after an insipid home defeat by Blyth Spartans yesterday. Get fucking doon. 

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

It's a 46-game league campaign and Bielsa's teams are normally breathing out of their arse in the second half of the season due to his style of play. Let's see how they're looking in February. 

When the wheels predictably came off their bandwagon.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

Southend Utd survive relegation, as Jack Ross continues to make a howling cunt of trying to get Sunderland back into the Championship.

One win from their last seven games has seen Sunderland fall from being a stick-on for promotion, to limping into the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

UEFA Champions League Final will be an all-England affair between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.

Edit: just seen the highlights of the Spurs game. What a finish.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

UEFA Champions League Final will be an all-England affair between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.

And the drama has been such that yet again the Champions League haters are left sobbing into their FC United of Manchester scarves. The best tournament on the planet, bar none.

That said, absolutely gutted for Ajax, what a fairytale run they had.

Can't see Liverpool losing this.

EOho8Pw.png

And the drama has been such that yet again the Champions League haters are left sobbing into their FC United of Manchester scarves. The best tournament on the planet, bar none.

That said, absolutely gutted for Ajax, what a fairytale run they had.

Can't see Liverpool losing this.

I still prefer seeing Rangers in the Champions League getting pumped and watching the aftermath. It's okay if you like watching silky skill in big ultra-modern stadiums, the big starry ball logo, the theme tune, the carefully selected sponsors adverts etc. However, none of this comes close to competing with Scotland's greatest cultural export self imploding on a world stage, the seethe in the TV studios and the dawning of realisation that their latest crop of expensive signings are fucking shit.

Still, if you like that sort of thing....

*insert signature here*