World Cup 2018 Thread - Page 5 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

World Cup 2018 Thread

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great contest finished 1-1. Energy and hardwork in abundance from the Aussies with the Danes showing some classy touches but not enough of them in the 2nd. 1st goal will be a contender for the best in tournament.

The surrender monkeys showed some sparks of ability there but were largely unconvincing. Peru, like Morocco, were a credible centre forward away from being a decent outfit - but instead they're out. Turns out that raising a team of midfield sand-dancers isn't a credible route to progression. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There is a non-trivial chance of Argentina failing to qualify altogether and they'd have absolutely nobody to blame but themselves. They are so lackadaisical. vT (I think it was) summed up their tactical issues on a previous page but they're also just extremely careless. Look at their touches and possesion leading up to that (admittedly) great strike from Modric. You wouldn't get away with those in the SPFL Championship, so why do they think they can do it at the World Cup?

EOho8Pw.png

There is a non-trivial chance of Argentina failing to qualify altogether and they'd have absolutely nobody to blame but themselves. They are so lackadaisical. vT (I think it was) summed up their tactical issues on a previous page but they're also just extremely careless. Look at their touches and possesion leading up to that (admittedly) great strike from Modric. You wouldn't get away with those in the SPFL Championship, so why do they think they can do it at the World Cup?

Couldn't agree more. Lots of skill but poor application. Croatia have identified every weakness and exploited them.

Yep, I don't want to underplay Croatia's role in this, very disciplined and with just enough quality to make it count.

Nigeria will be watching this and thinking they have a chance.

EOho8Pw.png

:lol: As much as I love them as individuals, you get Argentina together and they're a fucking pub team. I don't think Sampaoli is a bad manager, he did superb work with Chile (better than the hipster of choice Bielsa, as it 'appens), but he's plainly unable to get them playing as a unit, or even to look like they care about the result. The AFA absolutely have to bin him, even though it's harsh. It's not like they can task him with building a new squad. You can't drop half that pool.

EOho8Pw.png

Who would have thought that the Jimmy Calderwood tactic of 'stick on 17 forwards' would lead to being completely overrun in midfield by Croatia - a team that can afford bring Kovačič off the bench FFS. Presumably only pity stopped the officials from adding a few deserved red cards to their hilarious, heads gone display. Goal difference could still prove decisive - but they let in a third goal anyway because they're already in a huff.  

I last spotted Messi on the pitch hogging the ball just inside Argentina's own half with thirty minutes left to play; a truly abysmal performance given the standards claimed for him. No doubt it'll be Everyone Else's Fault as usual though. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived