morton v alloa - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

morton v alloa

beetee

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think we'll win this, but with Morton you never know.  It depends on the team selection - any word if Tidser will have recovered in time?

Against the teams below us, they need to win whereas if we are held to a draw it runs the clock down and eventually they run out of games.  Probably best for us if games between the teams below us also end in a draw.

Of course the ideal scenario is that we start winning games in which case it doesn't matter what the teams below us do, but I'm not optimistic about that happening as winning requires the scoring of a goal.

I've already made up my mind not to bother with a season ticket next season - although not so much the poor quality of the football as difficulty in getting to Saturday games due to coaching duties.  Enthusiasm is at an all time low at the moment.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Yeah agreed. We simply can't allow them to beat us 3 times in a row!

Don't expect it to be easy, they have only lost 4 away games this season but play the right team and have the right approach and we should have too much.  We are generally quite hard to beat at Cappielow.

A win pretty much guarantees we wont finish bottom, a loss doesn't bear thinking about.

Yeah agreed. We simply can't allow them to beat us 3 times in a row!

Don't expect it to be easy, they have only lost 4 away games this season but play the right team and have the right approach and we should have too much.  We are generally quite hard to beat at Cappielow.

A win pretty much guarantees we wont finish bottom, a loss doesn't bear thinking about.

Next two games are against the two teams with a worse away record than us

We competed well enough at County despite ultimately being undone by conceding terrible goals again, but this is a completely different kind of test and it’s one Johansson has failed miserably twice already. Both defeats to Alloa have been a direct result of Goodwin schooling him, as Johansson either made changes which played right into his hands or failed to make any changes in response to Alloa taking control of the game. He has to show he’s learned from those defeats.

Taking less than four points from the next two games would be yet another sackable offence.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

We competed well enough at County despite ultimately being undone by conceding terrible goals again, but this is a completely different kind of test and it’s one Johansson has failed miserably twice already. Both defeats to Alloa have been a direct result of Goodwin schooling him, as Johansson either made changes which played right into his hands or failed to make any changes in response to Alloa taking control of the game. He has to show he’s learned from those defeats.

Taking less than four points from the next two games would be yet another sackable offence.

The first game was the biggest early warning sign about JJ. We had control of the game, even if it was sliding towards a 0-0, until he brought Gary Oliver on in midfield. 

You can certain argue for the same type of issues in the second game, but we lost because an spectacularly inept sequence of defending. While failing to win that game might have been a direct result of managerial decisions, the most direct reason for that defeat was our astounding own goal. 

The goals had been coming for the entire second half though so the manner in which they finally happened is irrelevant. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The goals had been coming for the entire second half though so the manner in which they finally happened is irrelevant. 

Not entirely. 

I absolutely agree that JJ's focus has been wrong and that too many time he has put the team under too much pressure at the back. But the game against Partick Thistle a couple of weeks earlier played out in the same manner, expect the defence did its job and we ended up winning 2-1. We weren't any better that day, we didn't play the game in any particularly different way. You could say that the Thistle goals had been coming all second half, but only one did because the defence actually did its job to a competent enough degree (as it did against Ross County the next week as well).

That doesn't take away from the criticisms of JJ, but if the defence does its job under pressure two weeks in a row and then shots itself spectacularly in the foot the following week you can't just blame the manager's failings. 

Not entirely. 

I absolutely agree that JJ's focus has been wrong and that too many time he has put the team under too much pressure at the back. But the game against Partick Thistle a couple of weeks earlier played out in the same manner, expect the defence did its job and we ended up winning 2-1. We weren't any better that day, we didn't play the game in any particularly different way. You could say that the Thistle goals had been coming all second half, but only one did because the defence actually did its job to a competent enough degree (as it did against Ross County the next week as well).

It's almost as if the outcome of a low-scoring game such as football is in large part down to chance, so the same performance that earns a spawny result one week ends in deserved defeat the next.  

That doesn't take away from the criticisms of JJ, but if the defence does its job under pressure two weeks in a row and then shots itself spectacularly in the foot the following week you can't just blame the manager's failings.

Erm no - the defence was being completely overrun throughout the second half and the only person in the entire, pointless bin known as 'Clackmannanshire' who didn't realise that a change had to be made was the one clapping like a particularly gormless seal in the away dugout. 

We lost because the team was playing like utter pish and the manager failed to even try to resolve that problem until it was too late. Whether the goal came by clownshoes defending, a basic set-piece or from a 40 yard worldie is totally irrelevant. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's almost as if the outcome of a low-scoring game such as football is in large part down to chance, so the same performance that earns a spawny result one week ends in deserved defeat the next.  

Erm no - the defence was being completely overrun throughout the second half and the only person in the entire, pointless bin known as 'Clackmannanshire' who didn't realise that a change had to be made before the inevitable goals went in was the one clapping like a particularly gormless seal in the away dugout. 

We lost because the team was playing like utter pish and the manager failed to even try to resolve that problem until it was too late. Whether the goal came by clownshoes defending, a basic set-piece or from a 40 yard worldie is totally irrelevant. 

Agreed. I wasn't at those two games, but from others under Johansson and generally speaking, if you decide to sit really deep in your own box then the chances are whether you lose goals is going to be a bit of a lottery. If you've got top-notch defenders, you might be able to totally suffocate the opposition entirely, but when you have mediocre to average ones that aren't particularly well drilled, then you're inevitably going to give away dodgy goals.

Our defenders simply aren't good enough to be defending all the time. It's not even a criticism of them as such, it's just a fact of life in the lower leagues of Scottish football.

AWMSC

Erm no - the defence was being completely overrun throughout the second half and the only person in the entire, pointless bin known as 'Clackmannanshire' who didn't realise that a change had to be made before the inevitable goals went in was the one clapping like a particularly gormless seal in the away dugout. 

I think Alloa had one shot on target from open play in that second half (a pretty tame effort), and they scored 2 goals. One was a needlessly given away penalty, the other a calamitous own goal. I broadly agree with the criticisms of JJ that day (and many other days), but the defence did not have a particularly difficult job to keep out a blunt Alloa attack. JJ did not get it right, but it was well within the power of that defence to focus enough to see the game through. The goalkeeper and the defence did not do the job which was well within their ability to do. That doesn't mean that JJ's approach was right, and I absolutely agree that he left us open to that, but we should have gotten away with it. Alloa were terrible in attack and we gifted them 2 goals. 

I don't think it's too much to ask of a team to not kick the ball into their own net under no pressure. If they had done that job we would have gotten away with the draw, despite JJ's approach to the game. 

There's no guarantee that we would have gotten away with anything at all - indeed there was still fifteen minutes left in the game to play after that - but if you want to continue getting so hung up about not getting that plucky wee point at a part-time pub team then knock yourself out. 

There's no guarantee that we would have gotten away with anything at all - indeed there was still fifteen minutes left in the game to play after that - but if you want to continue getting so hung up about not getting that plucky wee point at a part-time pub team then knock yourself out.

The last game was a disgrace all round. Don't think we can take any positives from it.

The last game was a disgrace all round. Don't think we can take any positives from it.

You could say that the only positive was that it was the last time we had to watch Ryan Scully flap about in goals for us. Then again, he has kept six clean sheets in his seven games for Dunfermline. I've no idea what he was trying to do that day. He was all over the place. 

The home game against Alloa, as mentioned above, was an absolute tactic masterclass by Goodwin. For the first half they sat deep, contained and suffocated our midfield and attackers and stayed in the game. In the second half they realised that our centre backs are dung with the ball at their feet and began to press middle to front and caught us completely cold. Johansson had absolutely no answers for any of these issues and it was a major concern. 

Tomorrow is a must win in my view. Lose tomorrow and the league table will look very bleak. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Archived