897 replies to this topic

#881 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23802 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

I've now also watched the highlights of Worthing's 3-0 loss to Bishop's Stortford. This guy is awful (as is the rest of the defensive line, in fairness.) If someone has Ryan Harding's number, I'd rather have him out of retirement.

Hopkin isn't a mug, he surely has to know this, and if guys like this are brought in it's presumably to make up the numbers and not to start every week.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#882 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5618 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 PM

I've now also watched the highlights of Worthing's 3-0 loss to Bishop's Stortford. This guy is awful (as is the rest of the defensive line, in fairness.) If someone has Ryan Harding's number, I'd rather have him out of retirement.

Hopkin isn't a mug, he surely has to know this, and if guys like this are brought in it's presumably to make up the numbers and not to start every week.

Aye he might be rubbish but there's going to be decent players out there who've had back luck and stuff going on that's meant they've not yet got to a level they should be at so it's an opportunity for us.

This guy might not be one of them but Hopkin shouldn't be ruling young players out just based on the level they came from.

#883 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 PM

He might be rubbish but there's a whole load of reasons a young player might not have had a great start to their career but still have the ability to do a job for us.

I wasn't making any point. Just that him being placed alongside Dennon Lewis, who has obviously become the poster child for terrible English youth products coming to Scotland, fills me with a feeling of foreboding.

Apart from that I agree with you (and he probably is rubbish and won't be signed).

#884 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23802 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 PM

It's fair to say getting down-on-their-luck players from superior youth systems is a realistic model for us. It worked well with Bachirou, for example. The danger is that agents tout these guys around to soft-touch clubs who, desperate for warm bodies, will pay them more heed than they should. Hopefully the club doesn't fall victim to this.

Do you like Abba?

#885 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5618 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 PM

It's fair to say getting down-on-their-luck players from superior youth systems is a realistic model for us. It worked well with Bachirou, for example. The danger is that agents tout these guys around to soft-touch clubs who, desperate for warm bodies, will pay them more heed than they should. Hopefully the club doesn't fall victim to this.

Agree with that too. The points more aimed at people who seem to be writing off having trialists like this when there's a chance there's an explanation for a bad few seasons.

The thing that gives me comfort is that Hopkin has signed a few early and when he talks about them he seems quite knowledgeable about what they'll bring so there's no one so far who's sounded like a panic sighing like a few have over the years.

#886 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 PM

Yup. And you usually take at least 10 on trial for every one which is actually signed.

We've had some amount of rubbish going down this route though*. The relegation season was full of them.

*We've had some amount of rubbish going down any route.

#887 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Agree with that too. The points more aimed at people who seem to be writing off having trialists like this when there's a chance there's an explanation for a bad few seasons.

The thing that gives me comfort is that Hopkin has signed a few early and when he talks about them he seems quite knowledgeable about what they'll bring so there's no one so far who's sounded like a panic sighing like a few have over the years.

I'm not worried that we're bringing in young guys on trial to have a look at.

I am worried that we've not signed any main centre back targets yet. We've done that in midfield and attack, but not in defence.

#888 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7718 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

We really need 2 or 3 established centre backs. Not really a position worth gambling on

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#889 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:36 PM

He might be rubbish but there's a whole load of reasons a young player might not have had a great start to their career but still have the ability to do a job for us.

There speaks a fluffer for Warren’s equally useless, Braeside La Masia project.

Perhaps there are mitigating circumstances for being dung, but without even a credible CV to vouch for that then the only natural place to demonstrate that ‘ability’ is in the diddy seaside leagues playing for the likes of Annan or Edinburgh City first. The Famous should not be in the business of roping in totally unproven jobbers from the English 8th tier just because we might unearth a diamond once every hundred thousand times. There are plenty of bottom feeders in Scotland who can do that filtering job for us - doing so at this level is a ticket to relegation.

Edited by vikingTON, Yesterday, 09:57 PM.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#890 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 PM

We really need 2 or 3 established centre backs. Not really a position worth gambling on

If only we hadn’t foolishly released Lee ‘Bonucci’ Kilday in order to pursue a shower of absolute clowns instead.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#891 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5618 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 PM

There speaks a fluffer for Warren’s equally useless, Braeside La Masia project.

Perhaps there are mitigating circumstances for being dung, but without even a credible CV to vouch for thst then the only natural place to demonstrate that ‘ability’ is in the diddy seaside leagues playing for the likes of Annan or Edinburgh City. The Famous should not be in the business of roping in totally unproven jobbers from the English 8th tier just because we might unearth a diamond once every hundred thousand times. There are plenty of bottom feeders in Scotland who can do that filtering job for us - doing so at this level is a ticket to relegation.

Aren't you the one who wanted the youth academy ditched for players dropping out of clubs at a higher level? Like Watford?

#892 Hej

Hej

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:39 PM

"Alfie."

I remember when we had a team of Dereks. A good stick-to-your-ribs Scottish name. Now we're going to have Ramsbottoms and Alfies cutting about the place.

He could be the next Fernando Hierro but it's a no from me.

Mate, have you seen the UK's 10 most popular baby names for the last few years? Alfie's will be the least of our worries.We'll have Theo's, Oliver's, Noah's, Leo's and Jacob's swanning about this once proud football club before long.

#893 Alan_Partridge_Ton

Alan_Partridge_Ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:41 PM

Mate, have you seen the UK's 10 most popular baby names for the last few years? Alfie's will be the least of our worries.We'll have Theo's, Oliver's, Noah's, Leo's and Jacob's swanning about this once proud football club before long.

We’ll have a Fernando before long.

And probably a Denise!

#894 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Aye he might be rubbish but there's going to be decent players out there who've had back luck and stuff going on that's meant they've not yet got to a level they should be at so it's an opportunity for us.

This guy might not be one of them but Hopkin shouldn't be ruling young players out just based on the level they came from.

It’s just as well that the Supporters’ Trust is no longer even trusted with running a tuck shop raffle given this utterly gormless excuse for the club chasing obvious, fucking haddies.

#895 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23802 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 PM

My sincere hope is that they all gravitate towards rugby.

Do you like Abba?

#896 Alan_Partridge_Ton

Alan_Partridge_Ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM

My sincere hope is that they all gravitate towards rugby.

Or cricket. There’s a cricket club in Greenock!

#897 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Aren't you the one who wanted the youth academy ditched for players dropping out of clubs at a higher level? Like Watford?

Erm no, I want the youth academy discarded in order to focus on headhunting players from skint, professional clubs in far weaker football economies: Czechia; Slovakia; Poland; Croatia; Hungary etc. Unlike some of the weirdos on here, I couldn’t care less whether a first team player for The Famous is some lathe, home-grown youth prodigy or an experienced foreign mercenary - their only recommendation to this once-proud football club should be whether they can secure our success on the park.

You’d think that fans of a club that hasn’t played in the top flight for over thirty years would wish to base their future on such logical, basic economic facts instead of some ridiculously stupid pipe dreams; but here we are, with the club circling the drain as a result.

Edited by vikingTON, Yesterday, 10:06 PM.

#898 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:04 PM

The fact that we seem to be swilling in essentially the same trough of UK-based ringers that even Jim Duffy could have roped in for a trial is not a good sign for the current management team at all; perhaps the story that Eric Martindale was the real cause of Livingston’s brief and unsustainable success is true after all.

Edited by vikingTON, Yesterday, 10:14 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)