Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 44 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to sign Chris McStay from Clyde. Unsure what the compensation would be, but Falkirk are after him as well.

Wake fucking wept - is it officially ‘chase permadiddies week’ or something? We don’t need another central midfielder in the squad never mind a total jobber of one.

Despite some logical additions like Jacobs and Cadden I can’t say I’m impressed by our transfer strategy overall, whatever it’s supposed to be other than ‘whinge about being skint’.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Surely we won't be signing anyone else before we actually sign a defence?

I agree, very odd if we do. We can't risk running out of cash before key positions are filled IMO.

EOho8Pw.png

I googled him, saw “Worthing FC” in an article, closed the tab. This could be quite the season.

I went a little further and googled their fans forum, where he got 0 votes in the player of the year poll. Not even a family member could be bothered giving him a vote. If we're looking at players from that level then surely they need to be a standout.

I went a little further and googled their fans forum, where he got 0 votes in the player of the year poll. Not even a family member could be bothered giving him a vote. If we're looking at players from that level then surely they need to be a standout.

The article is a couple of years old now but sounds like he was highly thought of and has had a tough few years.

http://www.wdsport.co.uk/2016/06/how-ex-watford-defender-alfie-young-bounced-back-from-family-heartache/

"Young has been at Watford for seven years and was part of the same school year at the Harefield Academy as Dennon Lewis."

*Shudders*

He might be rubbish but there's a whole load of reasons a young player might not have had a great start to their career but still have the ability to do a job for us.

Yeah, it sounds like he had a tough time, sure, but at the same time he seems to be a jobber in the semi-professional seventh tier of English football. For every Jamie Vardy mentioned in that article there's thousands of guys who'll never be good enough even for Morton, let alone Leicester City and England.

This is the first game I picked on Youtube and it's maybe a bit unfair because they went 3-0 down after about five minutes, but he's wearing the number 6 jersey here:

https://youtu.be/i3Mt_RpQUEk?t=91

I suppose the plusses are, he wasn't at fault for the goals, and he's better than the number 5, but he looks immobile and hesitant throughout, and completely unable to anticipate the moves of forwards. Skip to 8:30 to see what I mean.

The average 10-goal-a-season forward in the Championship would tear this guy apart based on this showing.

Maybe this is just a bad day at the office for the whole team, maybe there's a highlight reel out there showing him in a completely different light, but I'm not holding my breath.

EOho8Pw.png

I've now also watched the highlights of Worthing's 3-0 loss to Bishop's Stortford. This guy is awful (as is the rest of the defensive line, in fairness.) If someone has Ryan Harding's number, I'd rather have him out of retirement.

Hopkin isn't a mug, he surely has to know this, and if guys like this are brought in it's presumably to make up the numbers and not to start every week.

EOho8Pw.png

I've now also watched the highlights of Worthing's 3-0 loss to Bishop's Stortford. This guy is awful (as is the rest of the defensive line, in fairness.) If someone has Ryan Harding's number, I'd rather have him out of retirement.

Hopkin isn't a mug, he surely has to know this, and if guys like this are brought in it's presumably to make up the numbers and not to start every week.

Aye he might be rubbish but there's going to be decent players out there who've had back luck and stuff going on that's meant they've not yet got to a level they should be at so it's an opportunity for us.

This guy might not be one of them but Hopkin shouldn't be ruling young players out just based on the level they came from.

He might be rubbish but there's a whole load of reasons a young player might not have had a great start to their career but still have the ability to do a job for us.

I wasn't making any point. Just that him being placed alongside Dennon Lewis, who has obviously become the poster child for terrible English youth products coming to Scotland, fills me with a feeling of foreboding.

Apart from that I agree with you (and he probably is rubbish and won't be signed).

It's fair to say getting down-on-their-luck players from superior youth systems is a realistic model for us. It worked well with Bachirou, for example. The danger is that agents tout these guys around to soft-touch clubs who, desperate for warm bodies, will pay them more heed than they should. Hopefully the club doesn't fall victim to this.

EOho8Pw.png

It's fair to say getting down-on-their-luck players from superior youth systems is a realistic model for us. It worked well with Bachirou, for example. The danger is that agents tout these guys around to soft-touch clubs who, desperate for warm bodies, will pay them more heed than they should. Hopefully the club doesn't fall victim to this.

Agree with that too. The points more aimed at people who seem to be writing off having trialists like this when there's a chance there's an explanation for a bad few seasons.

The thing that gives me comfort is that Hopkin has signed a few early and when he talks about them he seems quite knowledgeable about what they'll bring so there's no one so far who's sounded like a panic sighing like a few have over the years.

Yup. And you usually take at least 10 on trial for every one which is actually signed.

We've had some amount of rubbish going down this route though*. The relegation season was full of them.

*We've had some amount of rubbish going down any route.

Agree with that too. The points more aimed at people who seem to be writing off having trialists like this when there's a chance there's an explanation for a bad few seasons.

The thing that gives me comfort is that Hopkin has signed a few early and when he talks about them he seems quite knowledgeable about what they'll bring so there's no one so far who's sounded like a panic sighing like a few have over the years.

I'm not worried that we're bringing in young guys on trial to have a look at.

I am worried that we've not signed any main centre back targets yet. We've done that in midfield and attack, but not in defence.

Archived