The Scotland Thread - Page 3 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Scotland Thread

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-mcleish-sacked-scotland-manager-14196218

"Maxwell has chosen to move swiftly amid growing concerns McLeish is struggling to cope with the stress of attempting to lead the national side to a first major finals in 22 years."

Yep, 'stress'. Also known as, it was negligent to give him the job in the first place.

Maxwell isn't to blame for this, as he was brought in as chief exec after McLeish was hired. So I have a lot of sympathy with him. But a lot of the people at Hampden need to have a right good fucking look at themselves.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-mcleish-sacked-scotland-manager-14196218

"Maxwell has chosen to move swiftly amid growing concerns McLeish is struggling to cope with the stress of attempting to lead the national side to a first major finals in 22 years."

Yep, 'stress'. Also known as, it was negligent to give him the job in the first place.

Maxwell isn't to blame for this, as he was brought in as chief exec after McLeish was hired. So I have a lot of sympathy with him. But a lot of the people at Hampden need to have a right good ****ing look at themselves.

Will ghey though? Will they fuck!

Full steam ahead to another incompetent decision.

The SFA are absolute poison.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Specifically, there was what is being described as a “deeply troubling episode” ahead of Sunday’s error-strewn 2-0 win over the lowest-ranked side in the world which has helped to convince Maxwell that McLeish’s health is being adversely affected by the ferocious intensity of the job.

If that's the case then it's a real shame, to be honest, and it'd be doing nobody anyone any favours to let it to go on regardless of any other factors.  As I've said before though, whilst I don't think he should have got the job, I do think the knives were out for him from day one and a lot of the stick he got was a bit unjustified. I don't bear McLeish any ill-will over the whole affair, he's done his best and delivered a play-off so we're still in decent nick and can move on if we make the right appointment. Trusting the SFA blazers to do that is a far bigger issue.

It’s understood many stalwarts from Strachan’s time in charge felt they had been insulted when performance director Malky Mackay, in his capacity as caretaker manager, axed a raft of them for a friendly against Holland at Pittodrie in November 2017 despite going the year undefeated up until that point.

As for this, good. Couldn't really care less if a bunch of perennial failures were upset at being ditched.

AWMSC

There's a lot of arse-covering going on here. An away trip to San Marino is not a ferociously intense event. And given that a 3-0 loss to Kazakhstan is among the worst results we've had this century, I don't think McLeish has faced any undue criticism.

I bear the guy himself no ill-will at all and I hope he has a long and fruitful retirement. My problem is only with the people who hired him.

Although, thinking about it again, if we just agree on this collective fiction of 'stress' that's probably the most humane thing for McLeish. So maybe I'm being too harsh. If the SFA just said "aye, he's completely doolally" I'd be slating them for hanging him out to dry.

edit: actually, yeah, I hope this is as much detail as we get. And "deeply troubling episode" is a sad piece of innuendo. Give the guy a break. When he's formally relieved of his duties, that should be it finished and over with as far as he goes. But those who hired him need to do things very, very differently next time.

EOho8Pw.png

There's a lot of arse-covering going on here. An away trip to San Marino is not a ferociously intense event. And given that a 3-0 loss to Kazakhstan is among the worst results we've had this century, I don't think McLeish has faced any undue criticism.

I bear the guy himself no ill-will at all and I hope he has a long and fruitful retirement. My problem is only with the people who hired him.

Although, thinking about it again, if we just agree on this collective fiction of 'stress' that's probably the most humane thing for McLeish. So maybe I'm being too harsh. If the SFA just said "aye, he's completely doolally" I'd be slating them for hanging him out to dry.

edit: actually, yeah, I hope this is as much detail as we get. And "deeply troubling episode" is a sad piece of innuendo. Give the guy a break. When he's formally relieved of his duties, that should be it finished and over with as far as he goes. But those who hired him need to do things very, very differently next time.

The Sun now reporting that no meeting is planned and that McLeish retains support within the SFA. Part of me wonders whether their in-house lawyer has woken them up to the fact that you can't easily sack someone and leak that it's on health grounds...

Or Keith Jackson got some dodgy intel - not for the first time.

Either way it puts the SFA in a difficult position. People are talking about this and - maybe unfairly - putting two and two together. If they now come out and deny everything, they give the story credence. If they stay quiet, they let other people control the story.

EOho8Pw.png

• 2 months later...

No point starting a new thread. 

I thought that was quite a pedestrian first half, although our left hand side is looking dangerous. We will need to up the tempo for the second half. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Haven't yet watched the game as I've been working all day but bringing on Burke was a massive decision, not one I would have made personally in all likelihood, and it paid off.

EOho8Pw.png

Not sure that a team of professional footballers slithering past some halloumi merchants is worthy of any plaudits at all tbh.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Not sure that a team of professional footballers slithering past some halloumi merchants is worthy of any plaudits at all tbh.

Likewise but Belgium only won 2-0 against them so that puts a bit more perspective on it.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Belgium breezed through that. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we'd have been level at half-time. The goals were sloppy and hopefully Clarke will address the issues in the backline. Kompany playing two unpressured passes straight into Hazard and both resulting in goals shouldn't have been allowed to happen, but better teams than Scotland will get turned over by Belgium. The Russia games should be a good indicator of where we are. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Archived