The Scotland Thread - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Scotland Thread

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long past caring about the national team until the SFA does right by the fans (and McLeish himself, at that) and pays off a manager who's not mentally fit for the job. Until that happens it's a waste of time, and arguably immoral, to follow the team.

EOho8Pw.png

The clear and obvious signs of his mental decline. Look up any press conference from his first spell in charge of Scotland - several are still available online. Now look up how he speaks now. I don't know what it is or what caused it, as I'm not a doctor, but he's gone massively downhill.

And then there's James McFadden, who really should be in the "Bez" role, having to translate. I wonder if that's the dressing room dynamic as well?

EOho8Pw.png

If only there was an up and coming manager with a genuine 'footballing philosophy' and experience of successfully working with* a fellow international diddy outfit, who is currently working just up the road from the beaks at Hampden.

8672200.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

Yours for £50k, or just a paid Uber if you're going to play hardball. 

* picking up training cones and refilling water bottles

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I was vaguely optimistically ambivalent about McLeish before and I thought a lot of the stick he was getting was a bit over the top and pre-determined in that people were desperate for any opening to have a pop...but fuckin hell, he deserves everything he gets and more for that debacle today.

There's not even any point going into details over it, it was just utterly, utterly atrocious from start to finish. In some of these games you can maybe look at this factor or that and say the manager wasn't fully at fault, but this one begins and ends with him. It was appalling, and made even worse by the horrendous start to the second half. How on earth do you manage to make your team come apart altogether at the break? That takes some effort. He has to go.

All that said, I do retain a degree of sympathy for him. He shouldn't have got the job in the first place, never mind after such a myopic, incompetent and embarrassing recruitment process - if they had the slightest shredd of decency, the entire SFA board should be resigning en-masse tomorrow morning for their role in this and decades of failure. 

We desperately need to be looking outside Scotland for the replacement. There simply isn't a Scottish candidate who is suitable apart from Steve Clarke, who is probably unlikely to want it at this stage of his career. Maybe he could be persuaded to take the June games as a care-taker though?

AWMSC

The clear and obvious signs of his mental decline. Look up any press conference from his first spell in charge of Scotland - several are still available online. Now look up how he speaks now. I don't know what it is or what caused it, as I'm not a doctor, but he's gone massively downhill.

And then there's James McFadden, who really should be in the "Bez" role, having to translate. I wonder if that's the dressing room dynamic as well?

I was a bit concerned for his health a good while before he even got the Scotland job. I remember watching him at half-time with Neil McCann in the studio, and McCann had to guide him through everything he was saying, finishing his sentences and reminding him of player names etc.

Absolutely fucking aids mcleish should be binned as soon as we return from San Marino. He should never have been given the job in the first place.

Let's not pin all this shite on mcleish and this car crash of a performance the sfa are to blame here and have been for the last 30 years at least they need emptied just as much as the manager or nothing will ever change.

I was a bit concerned for his health a good while before he even got the Scotland job. I remember watching him at half-time with Neil McCann in the studio, and McCann had to guide him through everything he was saying, finishing his sentences and reminding him of player names etc.

I have no insider info here but I'm convinced that something is wrong and the SFA are being negligent. Their cowardice, I'm absolutely sure, will be revealed eventually, but by then it'll be too late for all concerned. McLeish has absolutely no business being anywhere near a dugout, and while that's a real shame for a guy who has led club and country through all manner of successes, both as a player and manager, it's also becoming clearer by the day.

To the guy doubting me earlier in the thread, please watch (don't read - watch) McLeish's entire post-match press appearance from today. Go into it with the preconception that everything is fine, and that he's as cognitively able now as he was in the Euro qualifiers before he got the Birmingham job. If you can do that and honestly say at the end of it that you retain that opinion, then fair enough, I won't try to convince you of anything.

But I've watched almost every word he's said in front of a camera since he got the job last year, and I think something has gone horribly, grotesquely wrong in the SFA's thinking here, and it's to McLeish's detriment as much as it is to Scotland. The man is footballing nobility on both sides of the touchline, and this shouldn't be how he's remembered.

(I need to be clear about this - I like McLeish, and his first spell as manager was a near-unqualified success, and he also did very well at a Birmingham side who weren't exactly rolling in cash. So none of this is based on any kind of grudge. Rather, it's based on sadness at the entire situation.)

EOho8Pw.png

Absolutely ****ing aids mcleish should be binned as soon as we return from San Marino. He should never have been given the job in the first place.

Let's not pin all this s***e on mcleish and this car crash of a performance the sfa are to blame here and have been for the last 30 years at least they need emptied just as much as the manager or nothing will ever change.

You're absolutely right that the hangers-on at the SFA ultimately carry the can for this, and it's a damn shame that the few people there over the past decade who have tried for genuine reform have either been undermined or have (and I'm referring specifically to Gordon Smith here) sent the organization backwards.

EOho8Pw.png

To the guy doubting me earlier in the thread, please watch (don't read - watch) McLeish's entire post-match press appearance from today.....

But I've watched almost every word he's said in front of a camera since he got the job last year, and I think something has gone horribly, grotesquely wrong in the SFA's thinking here, and it's to McLeish's detriment as much as it is to Scotland. The man is footballing nobility on both sides of the touchline, and this shouldn't be how he's remembered.

(I need to be clear about this - I like McLeish, and his first spell as manager was a near-unqualified success, and he also did very well at a Birmingham side who weren't exactly rolling in cash. So none of this is based on any kind of grudge. Rather, it's based on sadness at the entire situation.)

Leaving aside any speculation about his health, and from only reading most of his interviews, I actually think he's spoken quite well since he came in. Compared to Strachan's constant bashing of his players and assertions that they weren't good enough, it was refreshing to hear McLeish talking his players up and laying out a vision of a team that wants to go out and take the the game to other teams wherever possible; on top of that, I think he actually handled the stream of friendlies and the turnover of the squad reasonably well as anybody could have given the fact that his authority was weakened by the shambolic manner of his appointment. 

I don't bear him any ill-will, I think he's came in and tried his best, he delivered the Nations League play-off spot with three really good performances (and one bad one, admittedly, although again I think there were a few mitigating factors in that one) and introduced a handful of new players into the squad. That said, he can't continue after a performance like yesterday's, he just can't.

AWMSC

Who should be next?

Has to be a foreign manager with international experience surely? Anyone Scottish would be an unmitigated disaster, and I include Steve Clarke in that. 

There's probably a fair number of managers dotted about the place who've taken relatively unfancied sides to tournaments who could do a job. Everybody else seems to have managed at some point, it really shouldn't be that hard to find somebody decent.

AWMSC

I could see the 'logic' of just dinghying a time adjustment with an eye to a much bigger game in the double header, but even playing on GMT+6 I reckon Scotland would still manage to scrape a plucky away draw in San Marino. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Is that not quite common for teams travelling out that way? No idea whether it has any negative effects or that, but it seems to be the done thing.

It could be, I suppose, but it loses a bit of legitimacy when it's being delivered by a guy who looks and sounds like a comedy character.

Think the squad flew out on Sunday though. He said (if memory serves) that you want a day per time-zone, but it seems excessive to go against local time for 4 days.

AWMSC

Archived