Greenock & Inverclyde - Page 3 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Greenock & Inverclyde

Flyerton

How will you vote?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. You decide

• Scottish Labour Party
    • SNP
    • Other

A Labour activist (they were all from England I may add) came to my door yesterday. I have been waiting on this to happen for years!

Brightened up my day so it did when he stopped trying to bluff me and all he could reply with was "Fair enough" to my comments to his answers he gave me.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never knew I actually share a beer or two with our local Labour candidates old man..got a leaflet last night which had a picture with his mam and dad and his old boy drinks in my local, or drink in his whatever way you take it. Really nice fella and always got a smile...hope I never ran his son down while having a few sherbets in the past. :blush:

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Ehh, can someone explain why the irrelevant Lib Dem candidate has taken out a half-page in the Tele with the punchy side-heading 'The SNP have let down Inverclyde'?

Firstly, it is a stupid political move, seeing as just last month the SNP vastly increased their share of the vote in the same constituency.

Secondly, it is Labour, not SNP, who are the incumbent for the seat. So if the onus is on anyone to justify what they've done for the area, it's Labour.

Thirdly, given Labour and the Lib Dems have held the Council for donkeys' years and have governed for 8 out of the 12 years of the Scottish Parliament, where, logically, should the buck fall for the running down of the area?

There is not ONE mention of Labour's failings in the ad. :wacko:

Nor does it mention the lib dems till the last sentence

We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

A Labour activist (they were all from England I may add) came to my door yesterday. I have been waiting on this to happen for years!

Brightened up my day so it did when he stopped trying to bluff me and all he could reply with was "Fair enough" to my comments to his answers he gave me.

I got one better - our very own Councillor Terry Loughran. He stated that he hoped to persauade me to vote labour on the 30th. I stated that this should be fun but please go ahead...at this point any experienced canvasser would have buggered off in the general direction of away. Not so Cllr Loughran.

He apologised for labour getting it wrong at the Scottish elections. As another possible out for him I stated that I thought they had in fact played a blinder, losing so many seats.

He then went on to state quite categorically that Iain MacKenzie was the only LOCAL candidate in this election. I queried whether this was his only qualification for being an MP but Cllr Loughran assured me that his candidate had other qualities, just a shame that he did not mention any!

He then informed that David Cairns had been good for Inverclyde. Again I played devils advocate and stated the alternative view that David Cairns had only been good for the career of David Cairns. At this point he really should have just placed a burning cross in my garden and condemned to eternity but NO, he was still of the opinion I was open to persausion.

Cllr Loughran suggested to me that I might be "swaying towards the SNP". Pity he did not see me parking my minibus that has two vote Anne McLaughlin posters in the windows but hey ho - if the guy is wasting his time with me then he is not talking to any others.

He then went on some rambling nonsense about how he is a unionist, how the union is good for Scotland and that the Barnett formula ensures we get higher expenditure than England per head. I pointed out to him that it also means in an age of austerity with swinging cuts then they fall disroportionately on Scotland, the Barnett formula also does not take into account revenues generated in Scotland and that theses far outweigh any potential hand outs from westminster.

At this point he turned on his heels and never even said cheerio....

10/10 for persistence

0/10 for politics

and absolutely nothing that would make me vote labour at this election.

A press release confirming this will be released shortly...

I got a polling card sent to my folks place for this (must be a crossover as I have a letter of confirmation that I'm now part of the Glasgow electorate).

My mum wasn't near the cards while on the phone so I ask here, do I still have time to register for a postal vote? I came down for the Holyrood elections and crashed on the couch to vote but I simply cannot be 4rsed doing so for what will most likely be a Labour easy win.

If I can postal vote however...

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

I got one better - our very own Councillor Terry Loughran. He stated that he hoped to persauade me to vote labour on the 30th. I stated that this should be fun but please go ahead...at this point any experienced canvasser would have buggered off in the general direction of away. Not so Cllr Loughran.

He apologised for labour getting it wrong at the Scottish elections. As another possible out for him I stated that I thought they had in fact played a blinder, losing so many seats.

He then went on to state quite categorically that Iain MacKenzie was the only LOCAL candidate in this election. I queried whether this was his only qualification for being an MP but Cllr Loughran assured me that his candidate had other qualities, just a shame that he did not mention any!

He then informed that David Cairns had been good for Inverclyde. Again I played devils advocate and stated the alternative view that David Cairns had only been good for the career of David Cairns. At this point he really should have just placed a burning cross in my garden and condemned to eternity but NO, he was still of the opinion I was open to persausion.

Cllr Loughran suggested to me that I might be "swaying towards the SNP". Pity he did not see me parking my minibus that has two vote Anne McLaughlin posters in the windows but hey ho - if the guy is wasting his time with me then he is not talking to any others.

He then went on some rambling nonsense about how he is a unionist, how the union is good for Scotland and that the Barnett formula ensures we get higher expenditure than England per head. I pointed out to him that it also means in an age of austerity with swinging cuts then they fall disroportionately on Scotland, the Barnett formula also does not take into account revenues generated in Scotland and that theses far outweigh any potential hand outs from westminster.

At this point he turned on his heels and never even said cheerio....

10/10 for persistence

0/10 for politics

and absolutely nothing that would make me vote labour at this election.

:lol: Very good!

I got a polling card sent to my folks place for this (must be a crossover as I have a letter of confirmation that I'm now part of the Glasgow electorate).

My mum wasn't near the cards while on the phone so I ask here, do I still have time to register for a postal vote? I came down for the Holyrood elections and crashed on the couch to vote but I simply cannot be 4rsed doing so for what will most likely be a Labour easy win.

If I can postal vote however...

Too late for a postal vote. But someone can vote on your behalf. Application for Proxy votes must be received no later than 22nd June

Ehh, can someone explain why the irrelevant Lib Dem candidate has taken out a half-page in the Tele with the punchy side-heading 'The SNP have let down Inverclyde'?

Firstly, it is a stupid political move, seeing as just last month the SNP vastly increased their share of the vote in the same constituency.

Secondly, it is Labour, not SNP, who are the incumbent for the seat. So if the onus is on anyone to justify what they've done for the area, it's Labour.

Thirdly, given Labour and the Lib Dems have held the Council for donkeys' years and have governed for 8 out of the 12 years of the Scottish Parliament, where, logically, should the buck fall for the running down of the area?

There is not ONE mention of Labour's failings in the ad. :wacko:

I have now seen the page you are refering to. WTF was that all about??? :blink:

Do you believe she is aware that this by election is for Westminster and Labour have held this seat for decades?

Too late for a postal vote. But someone can vote on your behalf. Application for Proxy votes must be received no later than 22nd June

Correct, I voted on behalf of my father at the last election as he was on holiday at the time.

i ****ing hate the labour party and their "associates". ****ing animal farm, snouts in the trough **** the lot of them. they have done nowt for greenock. we are near the top of the list on all the various poverty/deprivation measures and have went from scotland's sixth biggest town to it's 16th.

i hate labour worse than the tories because at least the tories tend to be more honest about being absolute thundercunts.

Best part of 200 nats out today, everyone should be canvassed or receive their shiny newspaper

We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

Had a nice lady from the SNP at the door and we exchanged election propaganda. She also said she'd make Anne aware of our campaign not to run.

The labour guy seems to be fixated with being local ?? How he lives in Inverclyde, but what will he do if elected commute ??, run down to London every day ???

i ****ing hate the labour party and their "associates". ****ing animal farm, snouts in the trough **** the lot of them. they have done nowt for greenock. we are near the top of the list on all the various poverty/deprivation measures and have went from scotland's sixth biggest town to it's 16th.

i hate labour worse than the tories because at least the tories tend to be more honest about being absolute thundercunts.

:)

You tell em!!

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Labour councillor I follow on twitter today;

"A lot of lost looking people wandering around central Greenock. Don't know what party little local knowledge so I assume SNP"

So I reply with;

"The talk's also been a lot of door to door labour folks have been English. This true?"

So get back;

"Yes, been out with really nice people from Newcatsle and Manchester. They normally have one or two local members with them"

And someone else pointed out to him;

"You've had english activists at my door. Check out #inverclyde timeline. Very telling. Labour activists from Glasgow, Wishaw etc"

And the reply was;

"I'm delighted with all the help we are getting from Labour actvist from all over Britain. Led a good #inverclyde Labour team"

Just reeks of fail

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

Our last but one MP was English was he not?

Something about the Labour slogan doesnt sit comfortably. The Local candidate for Local People! He is LOCAL! Got that..LOCAL! Very League of gentleman!

I seem to have dodged them all!

Leaving my Mum's and a group of Labour canvassers walk past the house. Dont even crack a light in acknowledgement as they pass us. My mum says so they could here, "Ooooh, must be cos it's gonna be close then eh?" Ha! Goneyersel Joyce!!

Labour will win. I dont think he will be a good MP though. Talk of banging heads and jobs jobs jobs. Aye right ye are mate.

Archived