Megrahi........ A Curious Case............................... - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Megrahi........ A Curious Case...............................

Guest David Edwards

Guest David Edwards

1.Why is the only man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing being released? On compassionate grounds because he's dying of cancer, (why show compassion to a mass murderer) or is it conditional upon him dropping his appeal against conviction?

2.What would the British authorities have to fear from a further appeal? Is there any truth behind the claims of Dalyell and Black that Megrahi is innocent, that he was a patsy, a part of a cover up? Was Abu Nidal the real culprit? Was Abu Nidal a CIA double Agent?

3. Is the Scottish Government, by releasing Megrahi, now complicit in a cover up?

4. Any chance of an independent public enquiry? :lol:

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David Edwards
Mr Edwards. I imagine your questions could be answered at Cappielow tomorrow.

Is Megrahi going to the game Ian?

I've always thought that Megrahi's conviction was a bit dubious. There are a lot of unanswered questions about the whole business - for starters, why was Pan Am 103 flying with a lot of empty seats 4 days before Xmas? Why were certain US citizens switched to other flights? Many people think Megrahi was the scapegoat to divert attention from some dubious goings-on.

I saw the results of the disaster first hand, but I wouldn't disagree if Megrahi was allowed to go home before he dies. Perhaps the deal should be to allow him 6 months' home leave and if he makes a miraculous Ernest Saunders-like recovery, he would be stuck back in the pokey.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

A few years ago I had the pleasure of speaking to somebody from the legal profession who was quite closely involved with the case. In summary, Megrahi may have been involved (his actual role is unclear), but the evidence to obtain a conviction just wasn't there.... when the judgement was given there was a feeling that the law had to make sure somebody was punished, innocent or guilty. They had even less on the other guy so it was up to Megrahi to take the fall.

"Farce" - I believe was the term used to describe the verdict.

TRUST THE DUFF

Watched a BBC news report on this last night. My observations included:

Most of the Scottish people who lost loved ones that day seem fine about letting him go, for the reasons already mentioned (ill and his conviction was dubious).

In the USA however, every relative interviewed by the news did not want him released as he was a convicted terrorist who killed hundreds of people etc. They all had this mad look in their eye at even the very thought of his release.

I also knew a guy who was out in NL for the trial, and he also has the same verdict as the one mentioned above. Total farce he reckoned.

XJ, I would agree with what you said. Jim Swires has for a while now advised that it would be for the best if he was released. I don't know if in America there is a different attitude towards Lockerbie than the UK.

I see now that Al Megrahi has withdrawn his appeal, I would expect his release imminent,, possibly before the transfer window closes.

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

XJ, I would agree with what you said. Jim Swires has for a while now advised that it would be for the best if he was released. I don't know if in America there is a different attitude towards Lockerbie than the UK.

I see now that Al Megrahi has withdrawn his appeal, I would expect his release imminent,, possibly before the transfer window closes.

I get the impression that the American relatives just want the comfort of knowing someone is locked up for it, and aren't actually that fussed as to whether or not he's actually guilty.

I think Americans need to know someone's been convicted and put away to give them what they call 'closure'. I think 'closure' for them takes priority over justice.

Guildford 4 , Birmingham 6 , Carl Bridgewater killing, Stefan Cusko authorities have bent the truth and made evidence fit . Justice and truth in certain cases are a political football would like to see all the evidence that convicted the guy but have no issue with his release on compassionate grounds.

to me meghragi is something of a patsy.

this bombing was an act sanctioned at the very top of the libyan government. for us to accept this would mean acknowledging an act of war, and retaliating in turn, also stopping the UK from getting a slice of libyans sanction free and fairly robust economy.

lets not forget the guy was wotking for the libya govt at the time. if a CIA agent blew up a plane, the US would be seen as fully responsible.

he is a victim of circumstance, ut the question is is he w victim who blew up a plane? or one totally set up?

We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

Can he play on the left/right wing????

Can he play on the left/right wing????

I don't care, as long as he doesn't get the nickname "bomber" :D

In all seriousness though, the very fact certain US citizens were removed from the plane before take off is proof that it was all a pre conceived set up between the US and Libyan governments after the Americans little "accident" with the Libyan vessel.

If anyone should be locked up its the people who organised the whole thing in the first place.

to me meghragi is something of a patsy.

this bombing was an act sanctioned at the very top of the libyan government. for us to accept this would mean acknowledging an act of war, and retaliating in turn, also stopping the UK from getting a slice of libyans sanction free and fairly robust economy.

lets not forget the guy was wotking for the libya govt at the time. if a CIA agent blew up a plane, the US would be seen as fully responsible.

he is a victim of circumstance, ut the question is is he w victim who blew up a plane? or one totally set up?

In which case the shooting down of a Libyan corrected, Iranian, carrying pilgrims to Mecca -civilian plane, which occurred before the Lockerbie incident, was also an act of war.

Incidentally, there was a reference on the radio at lunchtime to an interview with Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops, who said that he had been warned shortly before boarding not to take that flight. That is the sort of apparently trivial detail that, while proving nothing, seems to give credence to the theories that the trial was a bit of a sham and that there is more to this than is being admitted.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

In which case the shooting down of a Libyan civilian plane, which occurred before the Lockerbie incident, was also an act of war.

Incidentally, there was a reference on the radio at lunchtime to an interview with Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops, who said that he had been warned shortly before boarding not to take that flight. That is the sort of apparently trivial detail that, while proving nothing, seems to give credence to the theories that the trial was a bit of a sham and that there is more to this than is being admitted.

wasnt it an iranian plane?

i agree though, think the collusion is a bit of guilt on behalf of the US

We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

wasnt it an iranian plane?

i agree though, think the collusion is a bit of guilt on behalf of the US

Aye, an American warship was patrolling the Persian Gulf when they shot down an Iranian passenger jet (by mistake :blink: ) with about 300 people on board.

I'm not convinced Megrahi was guilty of the Pan Am 103 bombing.

What intrigues me is the part of the SNP Scottish government in this now. Why would they want to release Megrahi ?

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Aye, an American warship was patrolling the Persian Gulf when they shot down an Iranian passenger jet (by mistake :blink: ) with about 300 people on board.

I'm not convinced Megrahi was guilty of the Pan Am 103 bombing.

What intrigues me is the part of the SNP Scottish government in this now. Why would they want to release Megrahi ?

You could just ask Eck next time he pops round for shortbread and Irn Bru. :lol:

MARTY OUT!!!!!

Archived