For Villa Fans - Page 3 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

For Villa Fans

Guest GibbyTON

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:ill:

A double blow considering MON is now looking at Lee Naylor as a replacement.

Just don't say his name five times, or the useless f***er will appear at Villa Park. Anyone related to Martyn Naylor is not welcome to play in the Premier League/UEFA Cup for us!

From the Guardian... "Six years after the collapse of his career in the Premier League following a failed drug test, Mark Bosnich, 36, saved a penalty and kept a clean sheet during a spectacular comeback to football on Sunday. The former Aston Villa, Manchester United and Chelsea goalkeeper starred in Central Coast's 3-0 win against Sydney in an Australian A-League pre-season cup match."

On yersel Marco!! :D

Just don't say his name five times, or the useless f***er will appear at Villa Park. Anyone related to Martyn Naylor is not welcome to play in the Premier League/UEFA Cup for us!

From the Guardian... "Six years after the collapse of his career in the Premier League following a failed drug test, Mark Bosnich, 36, saved a penalty and kept a clean sheet during a spectacular comeback to football on Sunday. The former Aston Villa, Manchester United and Chelsea goalkeeper starred in Central Coast's 3-0 win against Sydney in an Australian A-League pre-season cup match."

On yersel Marco!! :D

http://www.greenockmorton.org/forum/index....showtopic=22341

:ill:

A double blow considering MON is now looking at Lee Naylor as a replacement.

Get well soon Freddie.

Have to say I don't see a problem with Lee Naylor. He's not Paolo Maldini by any stretch of the imagination but outstanding left sided players are at a premium and Naylor is perfectly capable of slotting in for Bouma til January and then acting as cover/competition.

Granted, he didn't have the best of seasons last year but at the end of his Celtic debut season he was shortlisted for the SPFA player of the year award. It just looks to me like he'd benefit from a move back nearer to home and a confidence boost. His delivery is excellent and Villa have the guys in the team to take advantage of that.

He's also picked up a load of valuable European experience playing for a side that made last 16 of the Champions League two years in succession. The dressing room could do with someone who has that under their belt. I'd have no complaints if O'Neill snapped him up.

Get well soon Freddie.

Have to say I don't see a problem with Lee Naylor. He's not Paolo Maldini by any stretch of the imagination but outstanding left sided players are at a premium and Naylor is perfectly capable of slotting in for Bouma til January and then acting as cover/competition.

Granted, he didn't have the best of seasons last year but at the end of his Celtic debut season he was shortlisted for the SPFA player of the year award. It just looks to me like he'd benefit from a move back nearer to home and a confidence boost. His delivery is excellent and Villa have the guys in the team to take advantage of that.

He's also picked up a load of valuable European experience playing for a side that made last 16 of the Champions League two years in succession. The dressing room could do with someone who has that under their belt. I'd have no complaints if O'Neill snapped him up.

I just don't see Villa fighting for a UEFA Cup place or a domestic cup with a player like Lee Naylor at left-back. You're right he'd be adequate cover but I think if Villa have real ambition they should be looking at better players.

I just don't see Villa fighting for a UEFA Cup place or a domestic cup with a player like Lee Naylor at left-back. You're right he'd be adequate cover but I think if Villa have real ambition they should be looking at better players.

And here's the better player!

Aston Villa are poised to make a £4.5m bid for Reading's England international left-back Nicky Shorey as manager Martin O'Neill sets about bringing in at least five new players before the new season starts. (Daily Star)

Just had a read at the statement, and I'm not buying it.

It looks very much to me like a pre-emptive strike designed to raise the stakes and force Liverpool into meeting the asking price. IMO Villa have got fed up of being on the back foot in the saga and have tried to seize the initiative as best they can.

It will either end up looking a shrewd move or a bit stupid, only time will tell.

Nowhere does it have GB saying he's changed his mind, he wants to stay, he'll sign a new deal etc. And in this day and age, whether it is right or wrong, clubs cannot unilaterally declare that a player is staying at a club when he wants to leave.

I still think he will go at some point between now and the end of August - and if he stays then it will be under duress and will benefit no one.

It looks very much to me like a pre-emptive strike designed to raise the stakes and force Liverpool into meeting the asking price. IMO Villa have got fed up of being on the back foot in the saga and have tried to seize the initiative as best they can.

It will either end up looking a shrewd move or a bit stupid, only time will tell.

Nowhere does it have GB saying he's changed his mind, he wants to stay, he'll sign a new deal etc. And in this day and age, whether it is right or wrong, clubs cannot unilaterally declare that a player is staying at a club when he wants to leave.

I still think he will go at some point between now and the end of August - and if he stays then it will be under duress and will benefit no one.

Villa will look very stupid if your prediction turns out to be correct.

Me either.

When I heard I thought he'd either signed the new contract or at least agreed to honour the current one.

To me the statement just means nothings changed.

I agree with Jonaton though, this story was carried on the ITV evening news down here last night with the headline "Barry is staying at Villa". If he goes now there'll be some eggy faces around VP.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Me either.

When I heard I thought he'd either signed the new contract or at least agreed to honour the current one.

To me the statement just means nothings changed.

I agree with Jonaton though, this story was carried on the ITV evening news down here last night with the headline "Barry is staying at Villa". If he goes now there'll be some eggy faces around VP.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...lla/7533851.stm

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

Liverpool made a £18 million offer 15 minutes after the deadline, allegedly.

I just hope that MON can persuade Gaz to stay, especially with us having such a small squad (Craig "Dafty" Gardner (not the same Dafty from Durham City) playing at right back tells its own story!)

From the link above:

Villa manager O'Neill said on Wednesday that he was "absolutely delighted" Barry would be staying at Villa Park and "relieved there is resolution and closure to the transfer saga".

He added: "Now we can all look forward to the season ahead with relief, anticipation and ambition."

O'Neill will look foolish as well.

I can't believe Villa would be daft enough to make any announcement, especially not via the official website, if Gareth Barry hadn't made some sort of commitment or agreement to stay. But it does look as if that is the case. :(

I've a feeling Barry does not want to be at VP a minute longer than necessary and the club knew exactly what they were saying here.

It looks like GB has given them no comfort whatsoever that he'd consider staying, so it makes sense to try and expedite the thing as quickly as possible - i.e. put the s***ters up him and his agent to pressurise Liverpool to get f***ing moving.

If it pans out this way, the club get the money, rid of an unhappy player, and MO'N can give it plenty of spin:

loads of the old 'we were left with no alternative', pin the whole thing on Barry while arguing that the club had moved heaven and earth to make him stay.

A lot of the support and folk on VillaTalk etc. will lap it up, simply round on Barry again, while MO'N comes out the valiant victim and so on. As i said the other night if it comes off it's a shrewd move, if it doesn't force Liverpool to act, and we are saddled with a malcontent for a season while his value decreases with every day, then it looks stupid.

I remained convinced Barry will go and tbh think it's reached the stage where he has to leave. TTG Gareth.

Looks as if you were spot on if this Daily Mail article is anything to go by: Gareth Barry will be a Liverpool player at the weekend

Gareth Barry believes his £19million move to Anfield will be finalised over the weekend once Aston Villa accept a re-structured offer.

Barry, thought to have already found a house to rent in Cheshire to be close to Liverpool's Melwood training ground, trained with Villa yesterday but did not figure in a behind closed doors friendly against Notts County.

However, despite Villa's public insistence that he will be staying, the England international is confident his protracted move is imminent.

Villa accepted Liverpool's bid of £17.5m plus £1.5m-rated defender Steve Finnan on Wednesday but after a bank guarantee failed to arrive at the agreed time they told Liverpool the deal would have to be paid in two instalments instead of the originally agreed three.

Liverpool, who will find out their Champions League opponents in today's draw in Switzerland, have since been working with their banks to make the deal happen while friends say Barry, 27, is furious with Villa's attitude.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has been angered by the manner of Liverpool's approach and is determined to put up a fight, though.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez made his interest public in May and Barry's outburst in a Sunday paper, attacking Villa boss Martin O'Neill and confirming his desire for Champions League football with Liverpool, inflamed the situation

Archived