Glasgow School Of Art - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Glasgow School Of Art

capitanus

GSoA gutted by a huge blaze this evening. Again. Second time in four years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44504659

This seems to be a Glasgow phenomenon where beautiful old buildings worth preserving somehow go up in flames all too easy.

If this Scottish Government was worth its salt it would investigate why this is happening so often. For example, things like this don't seem to happen anywhere near as often in Edinburgh. Also, it always seems to be in listed buildings, never in any of these obsolete 1970s office blocks which are no longer fit for purpose, or some of these ghastly cheaply built student accommodation blocks that are being thrown up in every gap site.

*insert signature here*

I think it's a real shame to lose old buildings, especially ones that form part of your city's heritage, but I can't help feeling that some perspective is needed about this.

Nobody died (as far as I can see), so whilst it's a pity I kinda feel that all the "heart-broken", "devastated", "tragedy" talk is maybe just a bit much. It's bricks and mortar at the end of the day.

AWMSC

I think it's a real shame to lose old buildings, especially ones that form part of your city's heritage, but I can't help feeling that some perspective is needed about this.

Nobody died (as far as I can see), so whilst it's a pity I kinda feel that all the "heart-broken", "devastated", "tragedy" talk is maybe just a bit much. It's bricks and mortar at the end of the day.

Maybe you feel that way because you don't have an emotional attachment to the place. I recall the day when the 2014 fire happened, I went out for my lunch break and saw a smoky haze coming from the far end of Sauchiehall Street so walked along to see where it was coming from. When I reached the ABC I could see the smoke coming from a small window of the building behind which was the GSoA. I was shocked at seeing this. I also recall some people who were former students at GSoA in tears, this was a much loved building. I could only imagine how the alumni of University of Glasgow would feel if the Gilmorehill tower was up in a blaze, and i hope that day may never happen either. There are very few which attract this emotional sentiment. The GSoA is a building of great cultural importance to the city, Scotland and beyond.

As a Glaswegian throughout the years we've become accustomed to being run down at every point by the rest of the country - we are the Cockneys or the Scousers of Scotland - there to be mocked until something needs bought and paid for, or our votes are needed at Election time. Indeed there has been generations of people in political office have conspired against the city - for instance, why by is the Royal Yacht Britannia docked in Leith, instead of on the Clyde? This is Glasgow's Royal Palace - it was built here and should have been returned here to give our city a visitor attraction capable of attracting millions to the city and providing jobs and opportunity for future generations. As things currently stand it is possibly 7/8th ranked amongst other attractions in Edinburgh, and being denied the centre stage it deserves.

*insert signature here*

That said though...looks like the ABC roof collapsed too, which is a bit of a sickener I have to say. Hopefully they can salvage it, it's a fantastic venue (two, actually) and would be a big loss.

This...

*insert signature here*

Just to illustrate my point...the roof of a busy nightclub caved in, nobody was hurt. This might be a big cultural blow, but it ain't a tragedy. It very easily could have been.

The ABC has never been a cultural hotspot. Killing Joke played there once, other than that it's been a pretty average venue playing host to loads of third raters.

*insert signature here*

The ABC has never been a cultural hotspot. Killing Joke played there once, other than that it's been a pretty average venue playing host to loads of third raters.

I liked it but agree. It's just a space that's convenient for big groups of people. The art school is a bit different and a big loss.

When has the Art School ever been a cultural hotspot? Please refer to cultural output that at least 0.001% of Scottish society are actually interested in, as opposed to the drivel that gets churned out by those luvvies after a late night at the Variety Bar. 

If Glasgow has lost one old and clearly unsafe building while clearing out a natural breeding ground of Partick Thistle fans then the country is much better off. Next. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

How come so many buildings on Sauchiehall St have burnt doon this year?

Only two buildings on Sauchiehall Street have burnt down this year, the one which housed Victoria's nightclub and the one next door, which had that cheap bookshop and Chinese Restaurant upstairs.

Glasgow School of Art is on Renfrew Street.

Happy to help. :)

*insert signature here*

When has the Art School ever been a cultural hotspot? Please refer to cultural output that at least 0.001% of Scottish society are actually interested in, as opposed to the drivel that gets churned out by those luvvies after a late night at the Variety Bar.

Where did I call it a 'cultural hotspot'? However I did state above that "The GSoA is a building of great cultural importance to the city, Scotland and beyond" I stand by that claim. The building is considered to be the masterpiece of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, it was considered to be ahead of its time and would go on to influence architecture throughout Europe.

With regards to the cultural output of GSoA and it's alumni, many artists, designers, authors, playwrights, musicians, architects and other academics have attended the school over the years who would contribute toward the cultural fabric and enrichenment of Scotland and the UK. For example, John Lowrie Morrison - more people will have visited a gallery exhibiting his work over the course of a year than will have watched many SPFL teams; Franz Ferdinand, love them or loathe them, they are probably Scotland's biggest musical export over the past 20 years; John Byrne, Robbie Coltrane, Peter Capaldi, Peter Howson, Alastair Gray, Muriel Spark, Ian Fleming, Vincent Deighan (aka Frank Quietly), Liz Lochhead, William Simpson and many more.

If Glasgow has lost one old and clearly unsafe building while clearing out a natural breeding ground of Partick Thistle fans then the country is much better off. Next.

That's homophobic. Even I wouldn't get away with that. :)

*insert signature here*

I think VT has been seduced by the high quality communist take on brutalism that eastern Europe does so well.

Well it's an improvement on a chubby Brian Wake with a team from Lapland's Dog & Duck leagues.

*insert signature here*

The ABC's a great gig venue. Better layout, sound, view, bars and toilets than any of the venues around the same size in Glasgow, despite never having the reputation of the Barras when it really deserved to be considered every bit as good. Seeing larger ABC gigs get punted to the Academy and smaller ones to the Garage, both of which are terrible venues, will be a big loss.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The ABC's a great gig venue. Better layout, sound, view, bars and toilets than any of the venues around the same size in Glasgow, despite never having the reputation of the Barras when it really deserved to be considered every bit as good. Seeing larger ABC gigs get punted to the Academy and smaller ones to the Garage, both of which are terrible venues, will be a big loss.

I agree that the ABC is better than both The Garage and The Academy, and dare I say it, even better than the 'immortal' King Tuts. Not as good as the Barrowlands though, however it does have a more favourable location.

The ABC will be back though.

*insert signature here*

Archived