Worst Team of the Decade - Wingers/wide/attacking midfielders - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Worst Team of the Decade - Wingers/wide/attacking midfielders

44 members have voted

1. 1. Wingers/wide/attacking midfielders

• Kevin Finlayson
    • Iain Flannigan
    • Tony Wallace
    • Kyle Wilkie
    • Jake Nicholson
    • Jamie McCluskey
    • Caolan McAleer
    • Sean Fitzharris
    • Derek Lyle
    • Paul Di Giacomo
    • David Graham
    • Barrie McKay
    • Stefan McCluskey
    • Bobby Barr
    • Paul McMullan
    • Romario Sabajo
    • Scott Tiffoney
    • Frank Ross
    • Robert Thomson
    • Ross MacLean
    • Keelan O'Connell
    • Billy King
    • Robbie Muirhead
    • Kalvin Orsi
    • Cameron Salkeld

This is the weirdest category in throwing players from different positions together, but needs must. I know some of these players would be thought of more as centre forwards, but there are a lot of centre forwards to cram in when we get to that poll.

Sirs Not Appearing in This Poll: Dougie Imrie, David O'Brien, Aidan Nesbitt, Greg Kiltie, Nicky Cadden, a few youngsters

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Derek Lyle was a centre forward. The rest of the players on that list (with the exception of Salkeld who the jury’s still out on) are a truly horrendous parade of sand-dancers.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Definitely Robert Thomson, followed by Billy King. Both were complete horse shit.

I honestly don't think that Billy King would have got a fraction of his big moves as a football player if his name were Billy Smith or Billy Jones.

*insert signature here*

Derek Lyle was a centre forward.

I know some of these players would be thought of more as centre forwards, but there are a lot of centre forwards to cram in when we get to that poll.

Obviously centre forward is his natural position and where he played most often, but Moore stuck him on the wing often enough to justify including him here.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Gone for Robert Thomson, Ross MacLean, Jake Nicholson and Tony Wallace.

Apart from one good performance playing through the middle at Falkirk, Thomson offered nothing in a two year spell here, it was getting to the stage that I was counting down the days until his contract expired last season- I nearly shat myself when I heard he’d been offered a new deal.

MacLean was an absolute sand dancer, and watching his career trajectory since swanning off with uncle Raymond has been a hoot. I expect his next big move will be to some Lowland League big spenders of Kelty’s ilk before disappearing into obscurity.

Nicholson was a great example of the desperation of that season, signing anyone who had any sort of pedigree in football, no matter how bad they were. More famous for shagging Jordan than he ever was for playing football, but that didn’t stop us giving him a deal, and, more than likely a pay off too.

And like Thomson, you can’t ignore Wallace for his longevity, in spite of being so shite. That we paid a fee for that twat, and insisted on giving him a two year deal because of said fee was one of our more costly mistakes of the decade. When you think Dumbarton managed to offload two absolute carthorses to us and managed to pick up a fee for at least Wallace, they were the Brechin City of the 2010s.

Obviously centre forward is his natural position and where he played most often, but Moore stuck him on the wing often enough to justify including him here.

By the same shan logic Robbie Muirhead should have been in the full back and centre midfield polls then, but he wasn't. There's really no need for Lyle to be included anyway.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The likes of King and MacLean are obviously talentless sand dancers - while MacLean rivals McKay and Graham for the biggest cunt on this list - but I can't help thinking we're getting recency bias again if people are voting for them ahead of Paul Di Giacomo or Sean Fitzharris. Those two deserve to be considered alongside Wallace and Nicholson as candidates for the single worst player here.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Went for Fitzharris and McKay. Fitzharris - think he was perma crocked but shite whenever fit. McKay clearly had ability but couldn’t be fucked showing it for us. Glad to see his career is on the downward spiral already. He’ll end up at Dundee Utd or similar, then down to Inverness before disappearing completely.

Fitzharris had the ability to be a superstar but his injuries and mentality gubbed him.

Pretty hopeless in his latter appearances for us but he was excellent to begin with I thought. His cross in for Kean to score a (disallowed) goal against Dundee is still one of the best crosses I've seen at Cappielow.

I voted for Finlayson and Thomson. I might be biased against Finlayson as I always slated him when I was a youth, so may not be as bad as I thought, but from what I remember he was absolutely atrocious at every aspect of football. Nice guy though.

Injuries might have played a part for Thomson but I just couldn't go him at all. A proper diddy.

Flannigan never did much for us but is a good player I reckon.

The likes of King and MacLean are obviously talentless sand dancers - while MacLean rivals McKay and Graham for the biggest cunt on this list - but I can't help thinking we're getting recency bias again if people are voting for them ahead of Paul Di Giacomo or Sean Fitzharris. Those two deserve to be considered alongside Wallace and Nicholson as candidates for the single worst player here.

Di Giacomo wasn't awful. He just wasn't very good. Certainly much better than Nicholson, etc.

Di Giacomo wasn't awful. He just wasn't very good. Certainly much better than Nicholson, etc.

Would agree with that. Without looking back at any statistics, IIRC the main complaint about him was that he seemed to go into hibernation as we went into winter before reappearing again when the sun came out. He wasn’t great, but nothing compared to some of the chancers on that list.

Would agree with that. Without looking back at any statistics, IIRC the main complaint about him was that he seemed to go into hibernation as we went into winter before reappearing again when the sun came out. He wasn’t great, but nothing compared to some of the chancers on that list.

We had high expectations when he scored 4 at Stranraer in July. Took until December to double that tally and then scored no more.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I've gone for Wallace (crap), Jake Nicholson (not even good enough for the 2013-14 squad, which says it all), Romario (should never have been signed, but monumentally shit), MacLean (joke figure), and King (complete and utter waste of a wage.)

Didn't vote for Di Giacomo because he was good at times, but the issue was he had pedigree at a high level and failed to show it at Morton for the most part. So he wasn't actively bad, but he could have been a lot better.

EOho8Pw.png

I've gone for Wallace (crap), Jake Nicholson (not even good enough for the 2013-14 squad, which says it all), Romario (should never have been signed, but monumentally shit), MacLean (joke figure), and King (complete and utter waste of a wage.)

Didn't vote for Di Giacomo because he was good at times, but the issue was he had pedigree at a high level and failed to show it at Morton for the most part. So he wasn't actively bad, but he could have been a lot better.

Di Giacomo was a strange player. Started excellently then frittered away during Autumn. Which is exactly what Ross County fans said he would do.

Archived