General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 6 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

Armenia has one of the most rubbish and pointless leagues in Europe, with just six teams in the Premier League playing each other five times. Already-relegated FC Ararat, pride of the country during the Soviet era, were today 4-0 down to league leaders Shirak after 27 minutes in the second-last matchday. They came back for a 4-4 draw:

https://www.facebook.com/fcararatyerevanofficial/videos/1989646747735601/

This is interesting because it means if Shirak lose next week and reigning champions Alashkert win, the top two will be level on 50 points - and that forces a play-off. Play-offs are a highly unusual way to decide leagues in Europe but Armenia does it.

Fans of schadenfreude may remember Alashkert as the mob who beat St. Johnstone in the Europa League a couple of years back.

Everyone would be on the edge of their seats waiting for this one - forget the World Cup - and in fact Shirak did lose and Alashkert did win, meaning they would have been level on 50, except that Shirak were trying to fix matches. So they've been fined $15,000 and deducted twelve points. Alashkert are champions, former Soviet giants Ararat are relegated, Shirak are disgraced, and Armenia remains the sick man of European league football.

The match in question was this one. A Shirak director offered a Banants defender, Edward Kpodo - who used to play for Shirak - a bribe, which to his credit he did not take.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

• 1 month later...

On the topic of gubbins leagues, Poland has managed to surpass even its own usualy pathetic showing in the European game this week. The champions Legia Warsaw managed to get turfed out of the Champions League by Slovak 'cracks' Spartak Trnava - with an 8:1 disparity in the wages being a conservative guess in that matchup. Gornik Zabrze then followed that up in the Europa League by getting absolutely hounded 5-1 on aggregate by fellow Slovak outfit AS Trenčin. The Ekstraklasa runs in a country of 38 million inhabitants that is not particularly poor by European standards anymore; yet the likes of Cillian Sheridan and Ziggy Gordon are stalwarts in a title-challenging side in that basketcase setup.

They would in fact be the laughing stock of European football if the folk on the piazzas of Milan etc. cared anywhere near as much about other countries' football as the Scottish media think they do. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Good post. I spend a lot of time in Poland for work, I have a real affection for the country and after Madrid and Northern Italy, either Krakow or Warsaw would be my choice of place to live in Europe. But their football is absolutely appalling. The players (as you said) earn a king's ransom and - in another nice parallel to Scotland - would be considered feckless and unprofessional if anyone outside the country cared enough to take notice. Their hooligan problems make the UK in the 70s and 80s look like a nursing home tea dance. And everyone's seen the picture of that one away end that was literally a cage next to an athletics track. Altogether there is a far greater case for calling Poland a bunch of underachieving diddies than there is Scotland.

As much as I love the place, they seem wholly uninterested in fixing any of this, so they're going to be absolute trash for the foreseeable future.

Plus their most attended top league (at least as of a couple of years ago) isn't even football but speedway. Speedway!

EOho8Pw.png

Oh, another parallel to Scotland - one of their biggest, most traditional clubs, Ruch Chorzow, just enjoyed a second successive relegation as they busily go about doing a Rangers (RIP). Sad!

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Speaking of massive clubs getting relegated, I see Hamburg got absolutely pumped 3-0 at home in their first Bundesliga 2 game by Holstein Kiel.

Pity, that :).

Hands across the Nordsee. Ve are ze People.

EOho8Pw.png

On the subject of crowd trouble, the Harry Dunn's marked their return to European competition recently by playing their first non diddy team in ages - Osijek of Croatia.

Their 2-1 aggregate victory was overshadowed, although not widely reported, of the stabbing of two Osijek supporters before the game:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rangers-fans-caught-up-violence-13023771

Edit to add:

Read some of the comments here:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16398308.police-scotland-deemed-rangers-match-which-saw-two-stabbed-to-be-low-risk/

Theyre blaming it all on Celtic supporters from Govan. :lol: :lol:

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Speaking of massive clubs getting relegated, I see Hamburg got absolutely pumped 3-0 at home in their first Bundesliga 2 game by Holstein Kiel.

Pity, that :).

Did you see the goals? The third was an excellent counter attack but the first two were absolutely laughable, they're a shambles.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

On the topic of gubbins leagues, Poland has managed to surpass even its own usualy pathetic showing in the European game this week. The champions Legia Warsaw managed to get turfed out of the Champions League by Slovak 'cracks' Spartak Trnava - with an 8:1 disparity in the wages being a conservative guess in that matchup. Gornik Zabrze then followed that up in the Europa League by getting absolutely hounded 5-1 on aggregate by fellow Slovak outfit AS Trenčin. The Ekstraklasa runs in a country of 38 million inhabitants that is not particularly poor by European standards anymore; yet the likes of Cillian Sheridan and Ziggy Gordon are stalwarts in a title-challenging side in that basketcase setup.

They would in fact be the laughing stock of European football if the folk on the piazzas of Milan etc. cared anywhere near as much about other countries' football as the Scottish media think they do.

I would dearly love for Rangers to get drawn in Europe against Legia Warsaw, and for a giant Tifo of Pope John Paul II to be unfurled in the stadium. Bedlam would ensue, with the Harry Dunn's getting kicked out of European competition for several years afterwards.

Good post. I spend a lot of time in Poland for work, I have a real affection for the country and after Madrid and Northern Italy, either Krakow or Warsaw would be my choice of place to live in Europe. But their football is absolutely appalling. The players (as you said) earn a king's ransom and - in another nice parallel to Scotland - would be considered feckless and unprofessional if anyone outside the country cared enough to take notice. Their hooligan problems make the UK in the 70s and 80s look like a nursing home tea dance. And everyone's seen the picture of that one away end that was literally a cage next to an athletics track. Altogether there is a far greater case for calling Poland a bunch of underachieving diddies than there is Scotland.

As much as I love the place, they seem wholly uninterested in fixing any of this, so they're going to be absolute trash for the foreseeable future.

Plus their most attended top league (at least as of a couple of years ago) isn't even football but speedway. Speedway!

I love Warsaw too. In fact Germany and Poland are my two favourite places in Europe. A couple of years back (2016) there was a big anniversary for Legia and they had an excellent exhibition in the city, which I found fascinating. The history of the City of Warsaw is breathtaking, a beautiful city which was reduced to rubble by the Nazis then lovingly rebuilt, the resolve of the Warsaw people in standing up to the occupying Nazi forces and the role that Legia support played in fighting against them. I reckon it would be a really livable city, and cheap to live there too.

Polish Football may seem like a crock of shite when compared to the rest of Europe's bigger leagues, but I think that is one of their endearing qualities.

*insert signature here*

I love Warsaw too. In fact Germany and Poland are my two favourite places in Europe. A couple of years back (2016) there was a big anniversary for Legia and they had an excellent exhibition in the city, which I found fascinating. The history of the City of Warsaw is breathtaking, a beautiful city which was reduced to rubble by the Nazis then lovingly rebuilt, the resolve of the Warsaw people in standing up to the occupying Nazi forces and the role that Legia support played in fighting against them. I reckon it would be a really livable city, and cheap to live there too.

Polish Football may seem like a crock of s***e when compared to the rest of Europe's bigger leagues, but I think that is one of their endearing qualities.

Tool of revisionist nationalist scum found. 

tenor.gif

Poland is the Ireland of eastern Europe - constantly blaming everyone else for its own mess. 

• Upvote 1
A single red dot is a tragedy; one million red dots is a statistic. 

Dutch fallen giants Feyenoord - a horrible club and fanbase representing a hovel of a town - got drubbed 4-0 on a neutral venue by Slovak permadiddies AS Trencin this evening. What a terrible, wee shame for them.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

tenor.gif

Poland is the Ireland of eastern Europe - constantly blaming everyone else for its own mess.

I thought that was VikingTons friends, the Roma Gypsies from Romania.

*insert signature here*

tenor.gif

I hear Stalin only ever waved with his right hand as his left was a wee Jeremy Beadle hand.  :blink: 

Don't even get me started on his webbed feet or his pizza face.  :lol:  

• Downvote 7

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Dutch fallen giants Feyenoord - a horrible club and fanbase representing a hovel of a town - got drubbed 4-0 on a neutral venue by Slovak permadiddies AS Trencin this evening. What a terrible, wee shame for them.

Feyenoord is a fantastic club with one of the most passionate supports I've ever stood amongst. Christ knows what you've got against them.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"