Worst Team of the Decade - Centre Forwards - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Worst Team of the Decade - Centre Forwards

47 members have voted

1. 1. Centre Forwards

• Donovan Simmonds
    • David Witteveen
    • Brian Graham
    • Stewart Kean
    • Kevin Kelbie
    • Jonathan Toto
    • Archie Campbell
    • Andy Jackson
    • Colin McMenamin
    • David McNeil
    • Kabba Modou-Cham
    • Nacho Novo
    • Garry O'Connor
    • Rowan Vine
    • Andy Barrowman
    • Ross Caldwell
    • Thomas Orr
    • Jon Scullion
    • Alex Samuel
    • Ben Armour
    • Luke Donnelly
    • Kudus Oyenuga
    • Lawrence Shankland
    • John Baird
    • Andrew Dallas

In every other position it's only been the very best we've had or the completely forgotten who've not made it into the 25 in the poll, but we've had that many forwards that bang average types had to taken out here. A few who don't belong among the rest of the shite such as Samuel and Campbell remain in it, but there are some seriously bad options here. I've been looking forward to this one.

Not making it into the poll are Iain Russell, Brian Wake, Peter Weatherson, Peter MacDonald, Declan McManus, Denny Johnstone, Jai Quitongo, Gary Oliver, Bob McHugh, Connor Bell & John Sutton.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Simmonds, Kelbie, Cham, O'Connor, Barrowman, Donnelly, Dallas.

And yes Witteveen was pretty good. Actually had a respectable goalscoring record at Morton. Would happily have kept him.

EOho8Pw.png

I was at that pre-season game at St. Mirren when Cham scored that absolute worldy right in front of us. Really well-taken. 

But man he was bad after that. Wonder what he's up to these days?

EOho8Pw.png

I was at that pre-season game at St. Mirren when Cham scored that absolute worldy right in front of us. Really well-taken.

But man he was bad after that. Wonder what he's up to these days?

Scorching summer day and our new Belgian striker tore them to shreds scoring a double. Expectations went through the roof.

Such a disappointment.

Scorching summer day and our new Belgian striker tore them to shreds scoring a double. Expectations went through the roof.

Such a disappointment.

Then I put £50 on us to win the following week, and Annan put us out the cup.

Went for Donnelly, Simmonds & Novo. Nacho wasn’t as bad as others that season, but I just absolutely despise the man and couldn’t not include him.

Andy Barrowman gave us peak Ross Forbes. If he’d have been in any way good, that might not have happened.

Baffling that Novo has less votes here than O'Connor. Even as a 20 stone mess O'Connor was better for us.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Baffling that Novo has less votes here than O'Connor. Even as a 20 stone mess O'Connor was better for us.

Was he!?!

O'Connor has to go down as one of Football's biggest wasters of all time. I don't think that he even broke sweat for us.

*insert signature here*

Colin McMenamin for me by a country mile! Absolutely ruined our title challenge when the Easdales paid for his contract and apparently insisted he plays every week as part of the contract. He replaced Weatherson and we had to change our entire formation to suit him. We had to change to 2 up front as Spoonsy could both score and hold the ball up, whereas McMenamin could do neither. I think he scored two goals from penalty kicks and that was it!

Colin McMenamin for me by a country mile! Absolutely ruined our title challenge when the Easdales paid for his contract and apparently insisted he plays every week as part of the contract. He replaced Weatherson and we had to change our entire formation to suit him. We had to change to 2 up front as Spoonsy could both score and hold the ball up, whereas McMenamin could do neither. I think he scored two goals from penalty kicks and that was it!

McMenamin was a huge disappointment, but most of this is bollocks.

He made 11 starts and 4 sub appearances, so there was clearly no contractual obligation to start him in every game.

He made his debut against Raith (from the bench) at the end of January, replacing David Graham, as we switched from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2, with him going up front alongside Peter MacDonald.

David Graham is really the pertinent part of that. He only made one more league start after that as Moore presumably fell out with him (falling out with managers was a regular occurrence in Graham's career) and our only other options for the right were Tony Wallace and Kyle Wilkie. Hence the preference for a 4-4-2 with three central midfielders and one of Hardie or Bachirou covering the right defensively rather than putting Wallace or Wilkie in the starting eleven. McMenamin was mostly a liability but our lack of credible right sided options was the reason for the change of formation.

In any case, we'd already been switching between 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 throughout the season prior to McMenamin signing. Archie Campbell had a run of 11 goals in 9 games playing in a 4-4-2 alongside Weatherson. Over the festive period we had been playing 4-5-1 with Weatherson up front for the wins against Partick & Dunfermline and being pumped by Dumbarton, but we then went 4-4-2 with McDonald and Weatherson up front at Cowdenbeath.

It was then MacDonald as a lone striker for the next couple of games before that Raith game and McMenamin's arrival, so Weatherson wasn't dropped to accommodate McMenamin. He was already out of the team when McMenamin was signed because Peter MacDonald was fit again, which was the correct decision because Peaso was the best centre forward at the club by a distance and scored 14 goals in 14 starts and 7 sub appearances that season.

You can of course argue that even playing the 4-4-2 we'd have been better off if McMenamin wasn't at the club and we had someone else partnering MacDonald - you'd be right - but McMenamin wasn't the reason we were playing it. Even when he wasn't in the starting XI and we played 4-4-2 in the second half of the season it was Campbell who was alongside MacDonald, not Weatherson; that Cowdenbeath game in January was the last time he started for the club.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Partick save-scumming the Cowdenbeath game they were losing turned that season around. Poxy, shitey club that they are. Hope this season isn't binned so they go doon.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived