Takeover Rumours - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Takeover Rumours

BishopBrennan

The feeder club line gives me the fear. We could have a beneficial arrangement with a couple of loan signings that suits both parties, that could be a great way to improve our squad, but the thought of simply being a total feeder club with another club having an influence over our staff, being forced to pick loan players regardless of their standard and pretty much losing our independence as a club would be pretty terrible.

It was aiming for that kind of arrangement with Hearts that rooted Cowdenbeath to the bottom of League Two, as they persisted with a terrible manager to avoid pissing Hearts off.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The feeder club line gives me the fear. We could have a beneficial arrangement with a couple of loan signings that suits both parties, that could be a great way to improve our squad, but the thought of simply being a total feeder club with another club having an influence over our staff, being forced to pick loan players regardless of their standard and pretty much losing our independence as a club would be pretty terrible.

It was aiming for that kind of arrangement with Hearts that rooted Cowdenbeath to the bottom of League Two, as they persisted with a terrible manager to avoid pissing Hearts off.

There are a few different models of this kind of setup throughout Europe that could be worth looking at. But I agree with your main sentiment. Fuck being a “feeder” club for anyone.

We'd constantly be at the mercy of clubs and agents whose players would have to be guaranteed game time. And as a club our primary aim would be to run for the benefit of others. That might benefit us at times, but it's a big risk and we'd be losing our own identity as a club.

My main fear with the Easdales has always been that they seem to be deeply entrenched in a big club/wee club mentality which doesn't really met with how the hardcore support view the club. The other big fear is that they don't have any substantial cash to part with, so a takeover of the club would be likely to be mixed up some other scheme (like being a feeder club for clubs/agents).

If you read the article on Newcastle youth, they appear to be scrapping it so maybe they want their prospects playing competitively before going to their under 23 squad? Bridge the gap a bit.

Celtic are a feeder club for Man City, not doing them any harm. Rangers will all be a feeder for Liverpool.

I'm sure the rules on how many players an English club can loan out are changing significantly. I'm sure there will be some who will be looking to use smaller clubs to their benefit because of this. Positioning us as such an asset might be the idea.

If you read the article on Newcastle youth, they appear to be scrapping it so maybe they want their prospects playing competitively before going to their under 23 squad? Bridge the gap a bit.

Celtic are a feeder club for Man City, not doing them any harm. Rangers will all be a feeder for Liverpool.

Celtic taking a player at a time on loan from Man City to develop is not what we're talking about here.

If this happens and our sole purpose as a football club is to develop players for Newcastle then you can stop calling it Morton. It won’t be Morton. Call it Newarkcastle or something and put them in black and white stripes.

I’ll accept the argument that teams are already developing other sides players by taking them on loan, but this doesn’t sound like taking a couple of good prospects to make up the numbers.

A 2-way arrangement whereby they give us players for our first-team and use our academy to develop players with us keeping the rest wouldn't be terrible. Morton's Community Trust and presence in the local area wouldn't be diminished and we would maybe even see some success which allowed our fanbase and stature to grow.

Could be an absolute disaster and any changes to our identity would be criminal but at the same time it could result in major long-term benefits.

For what its worth though I don't see Ashley going in to all this effort when he is looking to sell Newcastle anyway. More likely the Easdale's have their own plans.

A while ago no one would buy Morton now they won't support Morton being a feeder club or trailing an agreement with an English club.

We were a feeder club to Patrick and Livingston in the summer.

Who the say we won't be given a yearly retainer then money and a sell on for prospects.

Morton have required fresh ideas for nearly 20 year and before that Wilson was a joke so let's get behind it.

As I said, Man City use Celtic....don't hear The gormless green bastards greeting.

I’ve been watching Morton for over 30 years, but I’ll have nothing to do with this.

Been a great 30 years. 5 relegations? No premiership football.

If Morton get to th top of the Championship, feeder club etc will go out the window. No one will care.

We don't even know what the proposal is and there are tears gushing from folk. Calm the fuck down.

The Raefamily have had Morton for a long time, Crawford evidently has a price and if he is not interested you quite happy to find 7th?

A while ago no one would buy Morton now they won't support Morton being a feeder club or trailing an agreement with an English club.

We were a feeder club to Patrick and Livingston in the summer.

Who the say we won't be given a yearly retainer then money and a sell on for prospects.

Morton have required fresh ideas for nearly 20 year and before that Wilson was a joke so let's get behind it.

As I said, Man City use Celtic....don't hear The gormless green bastards greeting.

No-one bought Celtic for the purpose of developing players for other clubs. Having certain arrangements can be beneficial, but, again, that isn't what we're talking about here. We're looking at guys who have been massive failures and massively disliked at other clubs because they have gone in there with an agenda where the success of that club is far from the main priority.

Been a great 30 years. 5 relegations? No premiership football.

If Morton get to th top of the Championship, feeder club etc will go out the window. No one will care.

We don't even know what the proposal is and there are tears gushing from folk. Calm the **** down.

The Raefamily have had Morton for a long time, Crawford evidently has a price and if he is not interested you quite happy to find 7th?

Aye, it’s been absolutely terrible. It’s hope that it’ll be better next year that keeps you going. It’ll probably never be better, but at least the effort will be for the benefit of Morton.

The point of a football club is that the team on the park are playing to win trophies for the club and get a move. Not get themselves ready for the first team at their real club.

If you want to be some sort of cuckold colt team fan then knock yourself out.

We'd constantly be at the mercy of clubs and agents whose players would have to be guaranteed game time. And as a club our primary aim would be to run for the benefit of others. That might benefit us at times, but it's a big risk and we'd be losing our own identity as a club.

My main fear with the Easdales has always been that they seem to be deeply entrenched in a big club/wee club mentality which doesn't really met with how the hardcore support view the club. The other big fear is that they don't have any substantial cash to part with, so a takeover of the club would be likely to be mixed up some other scheme (like being a feeder club for clubs/agents).

Indeed. I can't think of a single example of one of these arrangements ending well for the 'wee' club. And I can think of many examples of its ending badly, such as when Beveren in Belgium were a feeder for Arsenal, which basically meant they visa-laundered players from an Ivorian academy. So yeah, you get to see Emmanuel Eboue playing for your club, but when Arsenal lose interest you then lose your financial backing and disappear into the amateur leagues before the professional squad is liquidated altogether.

It's possible that these guys have an idea where they can thread the needle - where they can benefit their big team while also keeping Morton alive in a way that doesn't alienate its fans and jeopardize its future. But what seems far more likely to me is that they don't have such an idea.

EOho8Pw.png

Ashley is trying to find a buyer for Newcastle though, that’s what I don’t get. His estimates for what the club are worth are wildly off, but he is trying to sell. Why would he be looking for a feeder club?

Archived