What do we want? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What do we want?

capitanus

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be rather early for the club to make that plea but it would certainly help if there wasn't attention-seeking chief executive of Dundee of all clubs humming and hawing over how the season should be wrapped up and jeopardising the future of dozens of clubs up and down the country into the bargain. This nonsense needs to end soon: not just to release outstanding funds but to allow clubs and the SPFL to work out how to keep the lights on even if football is able to resume 'as normal' in July (more likely August). Nobody is sponsoring this ongoing farce.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I suggest you read the OBR's economic forecast issued today to check your mebbes aye, mebbes no view on the impact of shutting down vast tracts of the country for the foreseeable future. And the impacts will be felt particularly badly in such a secondary leisure sector like Scottish professional football.

The reports from the Office of Budget Responsibility is essentially an economic forecast of what 'could' happen as a result of the lockdown being in place for a certain time period. The key word here is 'forecast' which means this is essentially a prediction for a future based on a series of possibilities. It is not a definite guarantee that this will happen, however it is speculation published by civil servants who are making informed opinion plus Factoring in worst case scenarios. It may be informed opinion by those that know the subject greater than you or I, but it is still opinion and therefore remains speculation.

The sweeteners that Sky/BT etc. are offering their customers now will have to be paid for: and you can bet that it will be the tinpot tartan TV deal that will get slashed before those companies risk losing their English rights. Many of the sponsors that pay for hoardings around the grounds will likely not exist in six months' time, and even those that do survive will have other priorities for their remaining funds than sponsorship.

^^^ speculation.

And to top the lot, after much Helen Lovejoy hand-wringing by clowns in the media about how disgraceful it is for football clubs to accept money from gambling companies, the SPFL has now lost its Ladbrokes' sponsorship deal and so has to find a replacement deal this fucking summer in the midst of a catastrophic national downturn and global recession just to keep the wheels greased. The farcical handling of the last few days can only have added value to the Scottish football brand.

^^^ speculation.

We are looking at a much broader and more serious financial crisis to hit Scottish football than the collapse of Setanta and GMFC is already not a going concern by anything other than the grace and favour of its parent company.

There will be difficult times ahead for many companies and Football clubs too, but within every business model there needs to be an element of resilience with contingency and DR plans in place to mitigate against such events. No business plans to fail, but many fail to plan.

Given that there has been world events in living memory which many would not have anticipated, for example the 9/11 Terror attacks which had an impact similar for the USA -flights were grounded for several weeks; financial markets go into freefall; world travel industry severely affected; shops, restaurants, theatres, sporting events, cinemas etc all experience a huge downturn, thousands lose jobs etc.

Given that economic downturn or war, nuclear attack, global pandemic etc.are not unforeseeable, plans should be in place to counteract what the impact could be on a business.

That anyone thinks that there could never mind should be a nice wee goodwill gesture to season ticket holders in the midst of this crisis is completely batshit mental.

I looked at the GMFC.net website for a season Tickets Terms & Conditions Statement, and lo and behold, there isn't one. If there was one and it was clearly mentioned a Force Majeure clause which would cover this pandemic, then any purchaser wouldn't have the right of redress. But alas, there isn't one.

In UK contract law, any ambiguity in a contract favours the complainant.

The facts as outlined above and in the previous post render two of those three debate points redundant.

But they don't, do they?

*insert signature here*

The impact of 9/11 on global travel, hospitality, and close-contact events and facilities (concerts, theme parks, sports stadiums, cinemas, pubs, dine-in restaurants, tube stations, luxury apartments, shopping malls, fun runs, January sales, airplanes, trains, strip clubs, homeless shelters, schools) won't be a fiftieth of that of the current pandemic.

What's happened so far is only the beginning of what is going to be a brief but memorable era of Weird Shit. I have no idea how things are going to shake out. But the impact on the end consumer is going to be far greater than anything we've undergone in decades.

9/11 added some annoyances at the airport and precipitated the just invasion of Afghanistan and the unjust invasion of Iraq, which collectively cost trillions of dollars and eroded some of the final privacy rights of Americans. At the end of the day, though, who actually cared? Almost nobody. I certainly didn't.

This, however, is shaking out to be quite a bit more serious. The long-term effect of this pandemic will make the aftermath of 9/11 look like a teenage party being dispersed by a couple of angry cops.

Professional football will survive, of course it will, but for clubs like Morton I have no idea what the future is going to look like. In a weird way, I'm actually more sanguine about our chances than I am those of the clubs who bank on selling out a close-quarters stadium every week. The future of soccer seems to me to lie between the ultra-rich TV clubs playing for keeps, and local clubs playing for a community, with very little in-between. A bit like music, where you have the global acts worth millions, then the bands scrambling around on small tours, and nobody in between. Or fiction writing, where a few writers make millions and everybody else makes next to nothing.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived