Scotland Vs Belgium/albania - Page 5 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scotland Vs Belgium/albania

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not even one of the worst results of the last decade. In that time we have:

* Lost 2-0 at home to pre-AFC Australia

* Drawn 2-2 with the Faroes in Toftir (the same day we lost 3-2 to St. Mirren at home in the League Cup after being 2-0 up, Mark Yardley scoring the winner in ET)

* Lost 1-0 in Lithuania

* Drawn 1-1 with New Zealand, long before they qualified for the World Cup of 2010

* Lost 1-0 at home to Belarus, when they were whipping boys

* Lost 3-0 to Wales back when they were gubbins

This is all in the last 10 years, remember. And we could very nearly have added a 1-1 with Liechtenstein to that list. Go back even further and we have defeats to Turkey in 1960 (long before they were anything other than Malta-esque also-rans in UEFA), endless losses to Northern Ireland, a 0-0 draw with Luxembourg in 1987 in a competitive game, and don't forget 1-1 with Iran in Cordoba.

I was thinking competitive which I completely failed to state so I accept I failed to articulate my point, but even at that I'd say only the Faroes draw and two Georgia defeats are definitely worse. Losing to Israel is absolutely in the same bracket as losing to Lithuania and Belarus, and considerably worse than losing in Macedonia or drawing in Moldova.

It's an absolute humiliation of a result and McLeish walking away from it saying it could have been worse as if that somehow makes the result a good thing is a bigger brass neck than Levein actively celebrating a draw in Lithuania.

People might overrate Scotland's ability relative to other European nations generally, but in the context of tonight people are massively downplaying how much of a joke outfit Scotland have just lost to. It's an absolute disgrace of a result and McLeish can have no complaints about being sacked if Scotland finish second in this group.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

McLeish can have no complaints about being sacked if Scotland finish second in this group.

Don't see how anyone could disagree with that.

I think I've kinda reached a point of resigned ambivalence though, in that it's been pish for ages anyway so I'm reasonably hopeful that it might get better and I'm not going to get too vexed either way until these games are done. 

If we win the next two and win them well then I think you can just put last night down to a horror show in which everything that could have went wrong did (which, in fairness, it did a bit even if we contrived to make a total cunt of it ourselves, collectively and individual), take it as a lesson learned and move on. I still think we can and will win them, but if either one is  half as bad as last night, then McLeish should be offski then too.

On a broader note, it's a bit of a bum deal for any gaffer to have been handed the friendly list we've had. The third placed team at this year's World Cup a few nights before your first competitive game and the European Champions a few days after what was always going to be a tough away trip is a pretty fuckin rubbish state of affairs for anybody. Should just stick McFadden's goal in Paris on a 90 minute loop on the telly instead and save everybody the hassle. People can make all the protestations they like, but international friendlies are meaningless shite at the best of times.

AWMSC

Nights like last night surely are a mental thing? Any time there's any kind of expectation, we absolutely shit the bed. It's the same story every single time which leads me to believe that it's a mentality issue. Even slightly.

Israel made us look like a faroe islands last night

TIME FOR CHANGE!

It's not even one of the worst results of the last decade. In that time we have:

* Lost 2-0 at home to pre-AFC Australia

* Drawn 2-2 with the Faroes in Toftir (the same day we lost 3-2 to St. Mirren at home in the League Cup after being 2-0 up, Mark Yardley scoring the winner in ET)

* Lost 1-0 in Lithuania

* Drawn 1-1 with New Zealand, long before they qualified for the World Cup of 2010

* Lost 1-0 at home to Belarus, when they were whipping boys

* Lost 3-0 to Wales back when they were gubbins

This is all in the last 10 years, remember.

Mark Yardley certainly wasn’t playing for St Mirren in 2008 or later.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Hell of a result for the U21s over in Holland. The Dutch tabloids will be beside themselves, asking why they aren't bringing through great youth players like the Scots are? Time to ditch the old dinosaur Dutch way of doing things. They need full-sized pitches, putting the big tall guys at centre-back and up front, and hoofing it up and down in the driving rain. Also: mair computer games and fish suppers.

That said, we've not made it easy for ourselves and are still underdogs to even finish 2nd. We're away to Ukraine, who are ahead of us by three goals, before the home game with unbeaten England. Realistically we need to win in Ukraine in a month's time, then a draw with England would be enough, but both are tall orders. (Last results against them were a 2-0 home defeat to Ukraine and a 3-1 loss in Middlesbrough.)

Pumped 3-1 by the failed statelet of eastern Europe and so are completely out of the running with one game to go. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Mark Yardley certainly wasn’t playing for St Mirren in 2008 or later.

The game which Trvmp is referring to was in 2002/3 I'm sure. It was David Hopkin's debut for Morton second time around, and he scored twice ( I think)

*insert signature here*

One thing about Craig Brown's era was that he knew every Scottish player out there and made an effort to find out more about them, if the were any good etc.

I recall reading about some guy from Glasgow playing in the Chinese leagues around the late 90's, and the guy got a call out of the blue from Broon asking about his game, the standard of opposition etc. Before making enquiries to other European coaches based out there and eventually sending a scout to watch the player.

I think that nowadays there are a generation of Scottish people who are more mobile than previous generations and who would be willing to go to Bundesliga and Bundesliga2, Spain, Holland, France or Italy than their predecessors; rather than just have their hearts set on an Old Firm or EPL/Championship move. I think this should be actively encouraged.

*insert signature here*

I think McLeish will get the obligatory campaign and fail to qualify, before we turn to the guy who should have got the job all along - Steve Clarke.

This guy is a highly regarded coach and the only real reason why he is up in Scotland is to put himself in the shop window for this job. He knows that he wouldn't get the role if he was at a EPL or Championship club regardless of how well he is doing, the Scottish FA are very inward looking and insular when looking to select a Scotland manager, they wouldn't consider the guy who was Jose Mourinho's assistant when he won EPL titles unless he is sitting right under their noses.

*insert signature here*

Bielsa trying to impose his style of play with the cloggers and puffing messes that make up the spine of Scotland’s would be ‘interesting’*, that’s for sure.

* a spectacular disaster

Archived