What if we died? - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What if we died?

TheGoon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A phoenix club would be formed, but with nothing like the optimism or momentum of post-Scott Morton early in the century. We'd probably have a bit of fun taking over ex-junior grounds for a few years before eventually getting into the SPFL and levelling off in League One, depending of course on what other clubs were to be casualties of the virus. Sounds pretty shite with the exception of the away days for a while tbh. And playing in the non league for a while would be fantastic, but stagnating in it would be dreadful.

If there wasn't a phoenix cub, I'd probably miss everything that goes around going to football, rather than the football itself. Meeting up with the mates on a Saturday morning for an away trip, cans on the train, different pubs in different towns, standing round the pool table with a cup of boiling water and a quarter of a sachet of Cuppa Soup in Bumshaftens counting up how much is in the kitty etc. The social aspect probably keeps a lot of folk going to games, not just with Morton, but plenty other clubs I'd imagine.

I'd still go to the Scotland home and away games, and go to a few more Sheffield United games, specifically games at grounds I've not been to but it would definitely leave a gap going from 50-60 games a season to about 10-20 games and no team to call my own.

All in all, it would be a horrible scenario.

I wonder if Morton fans would have the stomach for another Save the Ton campaign. Then again surely at this point MCT would step up and try and save the club.

It appears that you're desperate for MCT to fail. Or for the younger generation to fail to step up like our generations did in the past.

Phoenix club. We won't be the only club to go under in such an event, and there will be a general appetite to rebuild.

Absolutely this.

There's no chance that anyone going bust is getting kicked out the SPFL. Everyone will be given the chance to re-form.

It appears that you're desperate for MCT to fail. Or for the younger generation to fail to step up like our generations did in the past.

Thinking the same. The bitterness certainly runs deep.

Absolutely this.

There's no chance that anyone going bust is getting kicked out the SPFL. Everyone will be given the chance to re-form.

I agree.  We wouldn't be the only club in this position.  Unless another 20+ clubs appeared from nowhere, where would the SPFL get the teams to make up their leagues?  Basically we're all in this together (except the rich clubs for whom the rules will get bent as usual to help them out).

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I just looked at the fixture list there and realised I’ve only been to 8 home games and 1 away game this season, due to work, postponements, but mostly because I’ve had better things to do. I’ve gave my season ticket away almost as much as I’ve used it.

But now it’s not there I am realising how much I’d miss not having the chance to go to see my team when I wanted to.

If it did happen, which I don’t think it will, I’d probably end up going to a game down south every month or so.

A phoenix club would be formed, but with nothing like the optimism or momentum of post-Scott Morton early in the century. We'd probably have a bit of fun taking over ex-junior grounds for a few years before eventually getting into the SPFL and levelling off in League One, depending of course on what other clubs were to be casualties of the virus. Sounds pretty shite with the exception of the away days for a while tbh. And playing in the non league for a while would be fantastic, but stagnating in it would be dreadful.

If there wasn't a phoenix cub, I'd probably miss everything that goes around going to football, rather than the football itself. Meeting up with the mates on a Saturday morning for an away trip, cans on the train, different pubs in different towns, standing round the pool table with a cup of boiling water and a quarter of a sachet of Cuppa Soup in Bumshaftens counting up how much is in the kitty etc. The social aspect probably keeps a lot of folk going to games, not just with Morton, but plenty other clubs I'd imagine.

I'd still go to the Scotland home and away games, and go to a few more Sheffield United games, specifically games at grounds I've not been to but it would definitely leave a gap going from 50-60 games a season to about 10-20 games and no team to call my own.

All in all, it would be a horrible scenario.

Thinking the same. The bitterness certainly runs deep.

One thing I'm not champion is that MCT fail. It's the only show in town so we need them to be successful not only to purchase shares but to have a longer term plan for the future.

I personally don't believe there will be another "Save the Ton" type organisation not because I believe the younger generation are not capable but mainly because there are new/different approaches to how clubs are saved these days and it's mainly through organisations like MCT. So you see the last thing I want them to do is fail. If they fail then we all fail.

There are tough times ahead for football and right now we are not hearing a lot coming from the club regarding the financial situation or what options are open to the club given the different scenarios the club may be face with in the short and long term.

What if the league can't restart until we have a vaccine? You can't do social distancing at a football ground. Can the club survive under those restrictions?

How long can the club continue under the current restrictions, they must have a view and they should share it with the fans.

What if the league starts behind closed doors, which granted for our leagues would not work given the financial impact of having no fans. But someone may put that forward as a way out.

What if we can start playing once more but with strict limits on the number of folk in the stadium. Is that financially sustainable for a club like Morton. Would that be restricted to season ticket only?

I'd like to see MCT get answers to those questions even if the club come back and say we don't know, at least that's an answer of sorts.

But we can't sit here and twiddle our thumbs and wait until the shit hits the fan, we could do with some leadership from the fans group and get some answers from the club.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Doesn't stop you doing a "what if" though does it.

How can you expect MCT to get answers to questions that the government don’t even know the answer to?

Regardless of what happens, MCT are offering financial backing to the club. Given that we already have something like 10 players under contract for next season, that will be crucial once furlough ends.

Long term, they are continuing their feasibility study into the possibility of community ownership, which will no doubt be asking a lot of the important questions.

One thing I'm not champion is that MCT fail. It's the only show in town so we need them to be successful not only to purchase shares but to have a longer term plan for the future.

I personally don't believe there will be another "Save the Ton" type organisation not because I believe the younger generation are not capable but mainly because there are new/different approaches to how clubs are saved these days and it's mainly through organisations like MCT. So you see the last thing I want them to do is fail. If they fail then we all fail.

There are tough times ahead for football and right now we are not hearing a lot coming from the club regarding the financial situation or what options are open to the club given the different scenarios the club may be face with in the short and long term.

What if the league can't restart until we have a vaccine? You can't do social distancing at a football ground. Can the club survive under those restrictions?

How long can the club continue under the current restrictions, they must have a view and they should share it with the fans.

What if the league starts behind closed doors, which granted for our leagues would not work given the financial impact of having no fans. But someone may put that forward as a way out.

What if we can start playing once more but with strict limits on the number of folk in the stadium. Is that financially sustainable for a club like Morton. Would that be restricted to season ticket only?

I'd like to see MCT get answers to those questions even if the club come back and say we don't know, at least that's an answer of sorts.

But we can't sit here and twiddle our thumbs and wait until the shit hits the fan, we could do with some leadership from the fans group and get some answers from the club.

Because you say you don't want MCT to fail, that doesn't mean I believe you- it'll take a bit more than that to convince me. Something along the lines of identifying who you are in order that I can compare your noble sentiments to your actions.

You do however give off the impression that you were involved with the Trust in. Can you confirm that one way or another, since I don't expect you to have the courage to actually identify yourself? And if MCT is, as you put it, "the only show in town" what happens to the Trust's shareholding in the club? Do they still own the shares or have they transferred them to MCT? It's fans' money after all,, if there is no purpose in the Trust then perhaps the new fans body should inherit their stake in the club.

TheGoon and HousTON have already addressed your points about contingency plans, which to my uneducated eye just come across as mud slinging because your ego has been dented by the Trust's failings in the last decade or so,resulting in a new body taking the bull by the horns and gaining more faith from the support than the Trust had.

We're not hearing a lot from the club or MCT because we're not hearing a lot from anybody at any club. Nobody knows how football will come out of this, knocking them for perceived inactivity is a pretty shitty stick to be beating them with given the amount of potential scenarios. I am of course saying this from the position of not being an MCT contributor and being unconvinced that their purpose is anything beyond "getting the Raes their money back".

It strikes me that your own agenda and ego is the motivation behind everything you have to say about Morton, it's ownership and the role of others in protecting and moving the club forward. It would certainly appear you're desperate to say you told folk so.

Regarding the Trust's shares in the club, I understood that they were being transferred to the trust members, with loan note holders getting additional shares to reflect the amount they had put in.  Not sure if MCT get any shares from the trust, or if so, how many.  I don't think MCT put any money into the trust so not sure why they would get any shares but I'm not an accountant.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Regarding the Trust's shares in the club, I understood that they were being transferred to the trust members, with loan note holders getting additional shares to reflect the amount they had put in. Not sure if MCT get any shares from the trust, or if so, how many. I don't think MCT put any money into the trust so not sure why they would get any shares but I'm not an accountant.

The principle of both bodies however is to work on behalf of the fans as a whole though and to give us a united voice in the running of the club, unless I missed something over the last 20 years.

Surely it’s in the best interests of the support as a whole to hand on those shares to the body that has inherited that principle and responsibility in order to strengthen their position in acting on our behalf?

I certainly don’t recall when I joined the Trust, before they stopped accepting my membership fees that individuals getting a shareholding would be part of the deal.

If the Trust were to donate the shareholding to MCT, then that would give MCT a stronger hand in the running of the club and hasten any chances they have of getting a majority shareholding, instead of providing folk with share certificates that don't actually mean an awful lot beyond getting a copy of the accounts and getting to put their hand up to speak once a year, assuming a meeting isn’t conveniently scheduled to clash with a major sporting event.

If we went under then that would be me and football finished.

I’d maybe watch the World Cup when it was on.

The thought of being another Sevco or Airdrie in the league set up gives me the dry boak.

I would not spend my Saturdays watching football. I’d probably climb more hills.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

We need to discuss alternative destinations soon as our preferred options may be a bit dicey for a while yet.

Speaking of dicey, did you give his Missus the clap the other evening?

*insert signature here*

How can you expect MCT to get answers to questions that the government don’t even know the answer to?

Regardless of what happens, MCT are offering financial backing to the club. Given that we already have something like 10 players under contract for next season, that will be crucial once furlough ends.

Long term, they are continuing their feasibility study into the possibility of community ownership, which will no doubt be asking a lot of the important questions.

Disaster planning is not a new concept. Don't tell me that the board at Morton haven't thought through the different scenarios and how that would affect the club.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Archived