Our football club, the great burden - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Our football club, the great burden

TheGoon

Apologies if this is a Gourlay, but I’ve just seen this and haven’t clocked it being discussed on here - https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/17947895.furious-morton-chairman-crawford-rae-blames-club-unacceptable-losses-impacted-familys-sweetie-empire/?ref=fbshr

£1.4 Million turnover, £56k increase in revenue, but still making “unacceptable losses” for GC which is pretty grim reading.

We’re only going to downsize further with Golden Casket, we badly need someone in soon.

If Morton are contributing massive losses under his stewardship while continuing to be complete pap that's a failure of Crawford's own doing.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Whether you like it or not Crawford, your family may be the reason we're still in existence, but you're the major component in the club's current rut. Your Father built this club from nothing on a business model that involved doubling our average home crowd for every single home game. He gave eye-watering budgets to a manager who wasn't good enough, and let his personal rapport with him stand in the way of the best interests of the club. He did the same thing with club employees. 

This notion that the club are to blame is absolutely bullshit, and you know that full well. Post administration we've had no strategic plan, no competent business model, under-qualified staff with absolutely no customer service skills and an egotistical yes man at the top of the tree who didn't tolerate people challenging him. You might not like the pieces you're having to pick up, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to start tearing into the club as a whole. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Citation needed.

The stuff about needing to safeguard their employees' future isn't *wrong* per se, but let's acknowledge two things:

1) was this a concern of theirs when they were spending big on the club, or wasn't it? If so, why spend so much? If not, why bring it up now? To answer those in order: because it plainly didn't make a difference; and because now they get to guilt trip Morton fans about daring to want their club not to be the next Airdrie.

2) I simply don't believe that it's a priority at GC to preserve employment, because that's not a priority at any business larger than a family. The priority is to deliver value to the shareholders - in this case, the owners of the privately-held corporation. As soon as a job can be automated it will be. That's not a criticism of the Raes, really - if they don't do this they'll simply lose in the market to those who do. But acting like they're cutting Morton's budget to protect wee Senga the tea lady is a bit disingenuous. And, again, a guilt trip.

Crawford and his dad between them shoulder around 90% of the blame (and credit) for the current state of the club and its debt. If they were worried about the employment of their minions, perhaps this could have been brought up, oh, anytime in the last two decades, rather than now when the various larval Raes are looting the tombs.

They're just a pack of arseholes, really, although that probably helped them get to where they are today. I doubt Hal Stewart was overly different.

EOho8Pw.png

If he as he says is having to protect the employees of his factory. WHY is he willing to erase the 2.5 million debt that is owed to the company?

Yeah, that would be a nice wee nest egg for the workers of Golden Casket. What gives, Crawford? Fuck it, why not just sell the land Cappielow is on and give everyone - Morton staff included - a massive bonus?

EOho8Pw.png

Well he has got it off his chest but failed to acknowledge the part made by his father. Has it not previously been alluded that the other members of the family as shareholders require that profits and dividends are maximised. As such the plan has been to stop giving further funding to Morton and recover the as much of the debt as possible. The strategy embraces the new Morton fan initiative to get back some of the debt and sell the club.

This article just reinforces this action plan.

It must be hoped by all Morton fans that the strategy is fully implemented by the end of this season and that Hoppy successfully keeps us in the Championship.

Well he has got it off his chest but failed to acknowledge the part made by his father. Has it not previously been alluded that the other members of the family as shareholders require that profits and dividends are maximised. As such the plan has been to stop giving further funding to Morton and recover the as much of the debt as possible. The strategy embraces the new Morton fan initiative to get back some of the debt and sell the club.

This article just reinforces this action plan.

It must be hoped by all Morton fans that the strategy is fully implemented by the end of this season and that Hoppy successfully keeps us in the Championship.

He's said publicly that Dougie let his heart rule his head and that's why we ran up the debt.

He's said publicly that Dougie let his heart rule his head and that's why we ran up the debt.

Dougie may have let his heart rule his head  but the reason we ran up stupid sized debts were shambolic amateurism at every level and a board of compliant puppets who never had the balls or interest to challenge his idiocy.

I don't remember Crawford or his ilk resigning in protest at the way the club was being run.

The stuff about needing to safeguard their employees' future isn't *wrong* per se, but let's acknowledge two things:

1) was this a concern of theirs when they were spending big on the club, or wasn't it? If so, why spend so much? If not, why bring it up now? To answer those in order: because it plainly didn't make a difference; and because now they get to guilt trip Morton fans about daring to want their club not to be the next Airdrie.

2) I simply don't believe that it's a priority at GC to preserve employment, because that's not a priority at any business larger than a family. The priority is to deliver value to the shareholders - in this case, the owners of the privately-held corporation. As soon as a job can be automated it will be. That's not a criticism of the Raes, really - if they don't do this they'll simply lose in the market to those who do. But acting like they're cutting Morton's budget to protect wee Senga the tea lady is a bit disingenuous. And, again, a guilt trip.

Crawford and his dad between them shoulder around 90% of the blame (and credit) for the current state of the club and its debt. If they were worried about the employment of their minions, perhaps this could have been brought up, oh, anytime in the last two decades, rather than now when the various larval Raes are looting the tombs.

They're just a pack of arseholes, really, although that probably helped them get to where they are today. I doubt Hal Stewart was overly different.

The Larval Raes.

That’s marvellous, it really is.

That's 100% not true, you can argue about their levels of competence in running our club, but their hearts' were always in the right place.

The minute the patriarch died, the Rae family couldn't withdraw their support fast enough. This is their right, of course, and they are under no obligation to subsidize a hopeless provincial football club until the end of time. But the Rae family, as a group, really haven't displayed any of the attributes you're talking about here. DDF did, but at the cost of the club's long-term stability. Crawford I have some sympathy with, as he's left holding the bag and, to be fair to him, he's at least putting in the hours. The rest of them are presumably in on this "stop asking for us to run Morton properly or we'll sack everyone" harangue. They can fuck right off. If they inherit the company they can inherit the decisions that got us here, NONE of which are the fault of the Morton support.

EOho8Pw.png

The minute the patriarch died, the Rae family couldn't withdraw their support fast enough. This is their right, of course, and they are under no obligation to subsidize a hopeless provincial football club until the end of time. But the Rae family, as a group, really haven't displayed any of the attributes you're talking about here. DDF did, but at the cost of the club's long-term stability. Crawford I have some sympathy with, as he's left holding the bag and, to be fair to him, he's at least putting in the hours. The rest of them are presumably in on this "stop asking for us to run Morton properly or we'll sack everyone" harangue. They can fuck right off. If they inherit the company they can inherit the decisions that got us here, NONE of which are the fault of the Morton support.

Great post.

*insert signature here*

Unfortunately this is bang on the money.

About 4/5 years ago I was in Cleats with a group that included Crawford's son, who I had never met before and haven't again since.  Perfectly nice guy btw.  One of the group was from overseas and the conversation eventually went onto football and this person was told about how Morton was owned by the Rae's.  This lad said to Crawfords son "wow that must be cool?!" to which the reply was a roll of the eyes and something along the lines of "Aye, you'd think so wouldn't you?"

From that point I knew as soon as Dougie was no longer running GC (or worse no longer with us), the Raes would be out of Morton tlike a shot!

here today, gone to hell

Archived