The Easdale’s Shares - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Easdale’s Shares

We could move the cowshed back as there is a good piece of land there and you could push the WDE back a bit more if needed and this could allow space to bring the main stand furtherforward/ More space away from the railway.

The biggest problem is the money to get these stands and plans in practice.

There have been plans in the past of a new cowshed that Wilson/Rae had back in the early 90's, Scott then had plans, Iron man has contacted the Lottery...

It would be a significant investment but no one igoign to come in and pump in millions to renovate cappielow.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone can contact Historic Scotland relative to any building and suggest or request that it be listed. The problem is that if it is then listed the requirements on the owners to preserve it or the listed parts, depending on the category of listing can be quite onerous and indeed can in some circumstances prevent modernisation or make it much more expensive.

VT's point above is interesting and I wonder if to date any of the older and traditional stadiums have listed status.

However it is a case of be careful what you wish for, because if Historic Scotland become involved and decide to list they then have, in effect a final say on anything the club might want to do relative to the listed parts and also have the right to insist that they be maintained, at the owner's expense to a required standard.

Edit to add:

I should say that my last dealings with Historic Scotland were now about six years ago, so things may have changed. These certainly were the way things were then and if anything appeared to be moving in the direction of becoming more stringent.

Yes, you don't really want to have the burden of being listed.  Makes it difficult to do any improvements or alterations.

Of current stadia, the only one that I know of that is listed is the main stand at Ibrox - not sure if it's the whole stand or just the frontage that is listed.  It's an Archibald Leitch design I think (have a suspicion Everton's main stand is too as I think they share the same distinctive lattice structure along the front of the seating deck).

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Aye, every time we're in there my immediate thought is how the hell you'd get out of it in the event of a fire. It's an accident waiting to happen.

And it stinks of pigeon s*** too. 

Yep, there's loads of broken seats etc as well. It's awful in just about every way, they don't even pretend to maintain it.

Given the size of Firhill and the space in the other stands, the other clubs should be complaining about their supporters being stuck in it. It's disgraceful that they charge £20 for a stand that should have been condemned long ago when there's plenty of room elsewhere.

AWMSC

Yep, there's loads of broken seats etc as well. It's awful in just about every way, they don't even pretend to maintain it.

Given the size of Firhill and the space in the other stands, the other clubs should be complaining about their supporters being stuck in it. It's disgraceful that they charge £20 for a stand that should have been condemned long ago when there's plenty of room elsewhere.

It’s funny when they play Rangers and Celtic and the Thistle fans get papped in there.

It’s funny when they play Rangers and Celtic and the Thistle fans get papped in there.

This is certainly true.

I maybe wouldn't mind so much if they cheeky cunts didn't start their "nae change" patter and the like, but they're at it. Horrible bastards, no matter how shite Morton are at least we're not Partick fuckin Thistle or Falkirk.

AWMSC

Moving your own fans to make more space for either sets of orcs is a surefire sign of a tinpot rabble.

I don’t even think that’s the reason, I’m sure it’s because the main stand is a fire hazard if they let off pyro, they had a problem with it when the under 17 or something old firm game was played there.

Still embarrassing as fuck.

Anyone can contact Historic Scotland relative to any building and suggest or request that it be listed. The problem is that if it is then listed the requirements on the owners to preserve it or the listed parts, depending on the category of listing can be quite onerous and indeed can in some circumstances prevent modernisation or make it much more expensive.

VT's point above is interesting and I wonder if to date any of the older and traditional stadiums have listed status.

However it is a case of be careful what you wish for, because if Historic Scotland become involved and decide to list they then have, in effect a final say on anything the club might want to do relative to the listed parts and also have the right to insist that they be maintained, at the owner's expense to a required standard.

Edit to add:

I should say that my last dealings with Historic Scotland were now about six years ago, so things may have changed. These certainly were the way things were then and if anything appeared to be moving in the direction of becoming more stringent.

it's good to hear sumbidy who knows his stuff

Sadly I think Ramsay will have moved onto bigger and better things by now. He now has the money to buy into clubs of a far bigger standing in the world than Morton, and seems to be based permanently in the US. I could see him buying into a football club but I can't see it being Morton.

I think that you're probably right but as a club we should perhaps rue the day when DDFR didn't take Gordon Ramsay's interest seriously, especially when those who are considered to be only possible successors to the Rae Family are a pair of local businessmen whom have a 'chequered past' to say the very least.

All this happened whilst Jim McColl and then Stuart Duncan masqueraded as club directors using the GMST ticket.

*insert signature here*

To be fair Gordon Ramsey's was a throwaway comment in a wide ranging interview and was about something he'd like to do sometime in the future.

It was not in any way an expression of interest in buying the club at that time.

Maybe Crawford should give him a call nonetheless.

To be fair Gordon Ramsey's was a throwaway comment in a wide ranging interview and was about something he'd like to do sometime in the future.

It was not in any way an expression of interest in buying the club at that time.

Yeah, that was my reading of it - though the reaction piece could maybe have been better worded. The two bids referred to in the article were presumably those by Massone (of Livi infamy) and a lawyer whose name escapes me but who has since passed away. As far as I know the board felt that neither offer would be in the best interests of the club.

Yeah, that was my reading of it - though the reaction piece could maybe have been better worded. The two bids referred to in the article were presumably those by Massone (of Livi infamy) and a lawyer whose name escapes me but who has since passed away. As far as I know the board felt that neither offer would be in the best interests of the club.

I seem to remember somebody called Kennedy's name being floated around, think he's actually a fan who's some sort of businessman but I'm not sure if it was about a possible takeover or something else altogether. Not even sure that was his name either, come to think of it.

AWMSC

The Livi guys bid or interested was after those two bids. At AGM Douglas was clear that he just didn’t want to sell. He was very clear that he had no interest in selling (at that point anyways).

When the livi bid came in or interest, which was later on, he said that would not be in the best interests of the club.

It was, therefore the club's response in warning him off was all wrong. The call you say could be made now, should have also been made then. A thank you for the kind words he said about the club, offer any opportunities to get involved then from a sponsorship point of view or even creating a Gordon Ramsay Morton pie which could have generated a lot of positive PR.

Instead, we gave a few extra headlines by warning him off and that was it.

Archived