Morton - DU, December 10 - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton - DU, December 10

TRVMP

I think people are badly misreading ‘being better taking the game to the opposition’/‘playing attacking football’ for ‘the other team sitting back comfortably and trying to pick us off on the break’. There’s a reason why this improvement only happens when we’re losing and almost always ends in defeat anyway: even this dumpster fire of a club isn’t actually refusing to start playing until they concede a goal every week.

Nesbitt’s free header and Welsh’s (?) late sitter could certainly have gotten us a point, but we created little from open play and Dundee United spent most of the game in second gear. Compare and contrast that reality with the increasingly shrill, North Korean style content from the club Twitter page, which has us ‘controlling the match’ that we never at any point led, before sinking eighteen hole in ones at Turnberry and beating Chuck Norris in a bare knuckle dust up outside the Norseman.

As tonight was a free hit against the league leaders no serious damage has been done to the campaign, but the swirl of delusional contentment at the club is genuinely alarming. We have now lost ten out of sixteen league games and are well on track to break the 13/14 side’s goal conceded tally: including the ten from the final dead rubber match. I’m not seeing any signs of objective and rational judgment of this campaign within the club though, which given that we’re so close to the transfer window could prove fatal to our prospects.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I couldn’t make it tonight as my wife had bought me tickets to see Shellac for my birthday.

They were fu€king excellent, if that’s any consolation for those that froze their bollow€ks off on the terraces tonight.

Still, there's always next year's kids contests for you to enter...

*insert signature here*

Hopkin making things up in his desperation to find excuses again:

"We have only been in the job six months now and we've had a lot to contend with. It's no secret that the club wanted to reduce the budget significantly and we had to go down a different route and it's going to take time - I just hope everybody's patient with it because I think there were six or seven of our players tonight under the age of 21."

We had four players 21 or under last night.

No one disputes the budget cuts, but even if we were to accept Hopkin’s weekly line that staying in the division should be the peak of the club’s ambition, he is failing. We’ve lost 8 of our last 11 and 5 of our last 6 with a shambolic defence, recruited by him, routinely throwing goals away through a lack of basic organisation.

Losing to Dundee United isn’t surprising and won’t define our season, but this constant excuse making reeks of Hopkin and the club deluding themselves about this being acceptable. Even if a relegation battle is acceptable, losing it isn’t and that’s what we’re on track for. The club is sleepwalking towards relegation.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Hopkin making things up in his desperation to find excuses again:

"We have only been in the job six months now and we've had a lot to contend with. It's no secret that the club wanted to reduce the budget significantly and we had to go down a different route and it's going to take time - I just hope everybody's patient with it because I think there were six or seven of our players tonight under the age of 21."

We had four players 21 or under last night.

No one disputes the budget cuts, but even if we were to accept Hopkin’s weekly line that staying in the division should be the peak of the club’s ambition, he is failing. We’ve lost 8 of our last 11 and 5 of our last 6 with a shambolic defence, recruited by him, routinely throwing gaols away through a lack of basic organisation.

Losing to Dundee United isn’t surprising and won’t define our season, but this constant excuse making reeks of Hopkin and the club deluding themselves about this being acceptable. Even if a relegation battle is acceptable, losing it isn’t and that’s what we’re on track for. The club is sleepwalking towards relegation.

We had 6 players in the squad last night who are 21 or under. Strapp is our other u21. There's the 6 or 7. Seems like a very deliberate stretching of the truth - because, on paper, we have a very decent balance in the squad in that regard.

Most clubs at this level are publicly aspiring to that type of balance, and are happy to have 6 or 7 of the 20 odd overall that are 21 or under.

No one disputes the budget cuts, but even if we were to accept Hopkin’s weekly line that staying in the division should be the peak of the club’s ambition, he is failing

I actually would, to a point. I don't doubt that it has been cut, but I'm not convinced it's quite as debilitating as Hopkin likes to make out, nor has the signings he's made really gave him the right to use it an excuse: he had the club paying money for Henk van Schaik (even if it was only a "nominal" one), he signed Cameron Blues even after seeing how bad he was, he rushed out to sign Orsi before going on to sign a host of other wingers including Billy King who's barely kicked a ball, and to top it all off brought in Sam bloody Ramsbottom,

The budget being low isn't an excuse for any of the above. Hopkin has made a cunt of it and has nobody to blame but himself, yet seems to be utterly refusing to accept the slightest bit of responsibility or able to offer any kind of understanding that there's a problem.

AWMSC

A single-goal defeat to the runaway leaders of the league, is in of itself no disgrace (considering the battering we got up there), but come Saturday there simply can be no more excuses. Queens at home is simply a must-win given our current predicament, and our abject away form.

I actually would, to a point. I don't doubt that it has been cut, but I'm not convinced it's quite as debilitating as Hopkin likes to make out, nor has the signings he's made really gave him the right to use it an excuse: he had the club paying money for Henk van Schaik (even if it was only a "nominal" one), he signed Cameron Blues even after seeing how bad he was, he rushed out to sign Orsi before going on to sign a host of other wingers including Billy King who's barely kicked a ball, and to top it all off brought in Sam bloody Ramsbottom,

Agreed with this. The budget has been cut but it's still clearly enough to sign full-time players at this level, and the burgeoning list of absolute crap he's brought in is nobody's responsibility but his own. Then he has guys like Nesbitt but only gives him 7 league starts so far.

It's a tough job, Morton, absolutely, but he surely can't believe in his heart of hearts that he's made anything other than a pretty poor fist of the season so far.

EOho8Pw.png

The signing of some absolute duffers is bad enough - Sheepsarse probably a standout in that respect, mainly because he actually gets to play in the first team sometimes.  However even worse is having some of our better players on the bench - Nesbitt & Lyon for example always seem to improve the team when they are on the pitch.  It has been mentioned before that Millar & McAllister together don't fit well into our midfield, but they seem to be on the pitch more often than not.  I hope Hopkin is at last seeing that not putting your best players in the starting line up is a large part of the current shambolic season.  It's as if he saw Brexit and thought "I can screw things up even worse than that".

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived