Team of the Decade - Centre Backs - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Team of the Decade - Centre Backs

Admin

TOTD  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Centre Backs

• Stewart Greacen
    • David MacGregor
    • Dominic Shimmin
    • Stuart McCaffrey
    • Marc Smyth
    • Andy Graham
    • Thomas O'Ware
    • Mark McLaughlin
    • Craig Reid
    • Kevin Rutkiewicz
    • Darren Cole
    • Stuart Finlay
    • Michal Habai
    • Jonathan Page
    • Tomas Peciar
    • Sean Crighton
    • Lee Kilday
    • Ricki Lamie
    • Stefan Milojevic
    • Luca Gasparotto
    • Gavin Gunning
    • Gregor Buchanan
    • Kerr Waddell
    • Peter Grant
    • Brian McLean

On the thought of how many centre backs are more deserving than the full backs, I’d say:

Gunning

Lamie

McCaffrey

Findlay

Shimmin

Reid

McLaughlin

Kilday

O’Ware

Rutkiewicz

Some of them were bang average as well, but all of them are at least as worthy of a shout as McGuffie. Even Gasparotto might be, although I’d definitely have Iredale over him.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Shimmin for all his sins was a country mile ahead of most of that selection.

He really wasn't and certainly not for any performances in this decade: his 'contribution' amounting to slithering out of his self-imposed hiatus once we got Celtic in the cup, before cocking up a routine passback/clearance decision at Ross County on the second last game of the 09/10 season to cost us a point and send us into the final day needing a result. 

The two sirs are obvious picks, and in place of any of the shan full backs we should be going for a centre back from the 12/13 squad as well. I've gone for McLaughlin over Rutkiewicz as he was a better player and a much more cynical bastard as well. McCaffrey was injured far too often to have a major impact on the side in previous, utterly dung campaigns. I've no idea what people think happened back then because it doesn't stack up with reality. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Shimmin for all his sins was a country mile ahead of most of that selection.

Had he not been such a walloper he would have been a stick on for inclusion. Waster.

Had he not been such a walloper he wouldn't have been anywhere near a club at our level.

This.

I recall he was out injured for what seemed ages and then suddenly he was fit to play against Partick Thistle in an early televised game on BBC Alba. He was the best player on the park that evening.

His attitude was terrible, and he didn't deserve to make it in the game as a result. Which was a pity, as he did have talent.

*insert signature here*

Greacen is obviously a much funnier shout, but I want to know why people are voting for O’Ware as well. I get he had lengthy service, was part of a title winning team and scored a lot in 16/17, but do people really think that made him a better player for us than Lamie or Gunning? They were both miles ahead of him as defenders.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Lamie eventually came good. O'Ware was an integral part of the team for far longer.

Lamie was poor for his first season when stuck at left back then improved from then on when played in his natural position. Holding that first season against him is like holding O’Ware’s performances at full back under Moore against him when he also improved significantly over the years when played at centre back - just not to anywhere near the same level as Lamie.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived