The KKK Bin Pub Review Thread - Page 7 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The KKK Bin Pub Review Thread

K K Kelbie

Tbf, the pubs in Gourock were good in the 80's. Unfortunately, Gourock still remains in the 80's.

The best bit about Gourock is the train goes to Glasgow.

That's not true though, is it?

The front of Kempock street is buzzing atm with new businesses etc.  

• Upvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Agreed with the Kempock is a s***ehole.

s***e pints, s***e toilets, s***e jukebox, s***e seats and a grumpy old bastard behind the bar. In fact all of Gourock is s***e. There isn't a single good pub to drink in.

The worst thing about them is that they're rubbish pubs filled with cunts who think they're in the fuckin Ritz. It's hard to take pretensions seriously in pubs that still have pish troughs round the bar.

That's not true though, is it?

The front of Kempock street is buzzing atm with new businesses etc.  

Aye, the actual town itself is actually quite decent and puts Greenock to shame. It's pubs are shite though.

• Upvote 1

AWMSC

Looking forward to the Kempock review. I used to go when I was 16 and always liked a wee nostalgia pint whenever I was in Gourock. I gave up on that though - the last time I was in he'd jacked the prices up to cafe levels and the regulars were drinking cans instead of draft (presumably for health reasons).

That's happened to me more than once in there.

They've ran out of Tennent's on draught and one of the barstaff has jumped into the shop and bought a couple crates of them and sold us them instead. Shocking behaviour imo

• Upvote 1

Aye, I go in expecting people to be freely pishing against the bar.

I was in The Vic about 5 years ago and an old boy got chucked out for trying to pish in one of the troughs.

• Upvote 2

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

If you head down I'm sure Zhivago will have some jobber ex-professional tied to a chair regaling them with his fantastic football insight and demanding they supply him with A+ insider information. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

If you head down I'm sure Zhivago will have some jobber ex-professional tied to a chair regaling them with his fantastic football insight and demanding they supply him with A+ insider information.

I’ll probably head to Choristers instead.

The security there is so lax. They’d probably even let someone like beetee in!

• Upvote 1

I’ll probably head to Choristers instead.

The security there is so lax. They’d probably even let someone like beetee in!

Can I just shock you? I like the Cafe.

Like is a bit strong but if it's not busy and you get a table up the back it's alright. Bit wanky but at least it's not a toilet.

AWMSC

The thing I dislike the most about it is the fact it's a place "to be seen" for a certain section of Inverclyde's upwardly-mobiles. Like a shite version of the Ivy. The amount of people who make a point of turning round/looking up to see if they recognize every person who walks in the door is unbelievable.

Other than that it's not bad for a Sunday afternoon if you need somewhere to take your relatives.

The thing I dislike the most about it is the fact it's a place "to be seen" for a certain section of Inverclyde's upwardly-mobiles. Like a s***e version of the Ivy. The amount of people who make a point of turning round/looking up to see if they recognize every person who walks in the door is unbelievable.

Other than that it's not bad for a Sunday afternoon if you need somewhere to take your relatives.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*insert signature here*

• 2 weeks later...

The KKK Bin Pub Review #11 - The Kempock Bar

The Kempock has been a mainstay of the West Greenock bin pub scene for generations. Here we see it in its natural state - being shut. Probably at half two on a Saturday afternoon because the dick of an owner just can't be arsed opening. 

4537932894.jpg

But if you strike lucky and pass the pub when its actually open, you'll find a bin pub with plenty of period features. 

s_IMG_2704.jpg

The Kempock is without doubt a bin pub. The toilets are rancid, big boy measures are offered, the bistro menu loved by regulars of The Cafe is nowhere to be found and the service is rough and ready even when the dick of an owner isn't in. There are however some downsides to this establishment:

- no tonics available from the wine selection

- dodgy pints from a setup that probably hasn't been properly cleaned since the 1970s

- (a minor point) no sports on TV

The big black mark lies with the pricing though. Anyone looking for bin pub prices will be short changed here, as they've borrowed the pricing policy of Cleats and other joints along the main road. That might fool some of the spear-chuckers from Dunoon looking for a last pint before the boat but it isn't acceptable for the rest of us. 

Verdict: 1K/3

A bin pub with all the required period features, The Kempock has got ideas above its station at the moment. It fails to deliver the quality and value that a bin pub requires. It should follow The Carnock by taking KKK feedback on board - clean your taps, lower your prices and bring back tonic wine - and we'll talk about its grade again. 

Must do better. 

It still does, tbf. It has just become a place populated by morons doing 'pub golf' crawls and the likes. They also serve tinnies in the can, straight from the shop next door, at full price. Robbing bastards.

Still nicer than their pints.

I quite like the place and think it's got a good atmosphere but the prices and drinks leave a lot to be desired.