SPFL Clubs to Vote - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

SPFL Clubs to Vote

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 team top tier

18 team second tier

Regionalise everything else. 36 "pro" teams rather than 42 and a stronger regional setup especially with many of the bigger junior teams jumping ship.

I've always fancied that.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Whatever the outcome, the seething mess of fans of the media luvvies and the three-sided seaside stadium mob has fair perked up my day. At this point, I don't care of it is the 'right' answer, it would be a welcome outcome.

Who would have gone up as runner up? Wouldn’t it have been Morton? I can’t remember.

I can't remember it week by week, but there were several weeks when we were 3rd. I don't think we were top all season until we went into the last match. We had been 3rd for several weeks until the last 2 or 3 games. It certainly would have been a lottery for us which week the season ended on. We were 4 points behind Stranraer and 3 behind Forfar with 4 games to go, I think, and it had been that way for a few weeks. Certainly not too dissimilar a position to Airdrie as things stand.

I do get where you're coming from with the promotion but no relegation notion, but I don't think that it's at all fairer.

I can't remember it week by week, but there were several weeks when we were 3rd. I don't think we were top all season until we went into the last match. We had been 3rd for several weeks until the last 2 or 3 games. It certainly would have been a lottery for us which week the season ended on. We were 4 points behind Stranraer and 3 behind Forfar with 4 games to go, I think, and it had been that way for a few weeks. Certainly not too dissimilar a position to Airdrie as things stand.

I do get where you're coming from with the promotion but no relegation notion, but I don't think that it's at all fairer.

I remember going top by beating Airdrie the day after Scotland beat Ireland at Celtic Park in November. We beat Stenhousemuir at home the following week, so would've remained top, before getting knocked out the cup by Spartans a week later and were probably knocked off the top a week after that when we lost at Stranraer.

After that we were playing for snookers until Peterhead beat Forfar on the third last day and didn't go top until we beat Stranraer in the penultimate game down there.

At last some good news.

Would be happy for my season ticket balance to be channelled through the MCT debt right off process.

No great loss anyway as I couldn't make two of the games.

Off to Pie and B for more happy reading.

18 team top tier

18 team second tier

Regionalise everything else. 36 "pro" teams rather than 42 and a stronger regional setup especially with many of the bigger junior teams jumping ship.

I've always fancied that.

Three leagues of 16, each playing 30 league games a season.

*insert signature here*

I remember going top by beating Airdrie the day after Scotland beat Ireland at Celtic Park in November. We beat Stenhousemuir at home the following week, so would've remained top, before getting knocked out the cup by Spartans a week later and were probably knocked off the top a week after that when we lost at Stranraer.

After that we were playing for snookers until Peterhead beat Forfar on the third last day and didn't go top until we beat Stranraer in the penultimate game down there.

I still have nightmares about Celtic Park after that Ireland game. I was caught up in the turnstile problems before kick-off and there was crushing outside the ground. I'm surprised that nobody was seriously hurt.

*insert signature here*

I still have nightmares about Celtic Park after that Ireland game. I was caught up in the turnstile problems before kick-off and there was crushing outside the ground. I'm surprised that nobody was seriously hurt.

Didn’t a boy fall from one of the top tiers and die? Was it that game?

Didn’t a boy fall from one of the top tiers and die? Was it that game?

Tried to slide down a banister on his way out the ground and it ended tragically I’m sure. Think you’re right about it being that game though.

Personally I think there should be minimum detriment, which at least means no relegation for teams not yet relegated. No relegation and temporary league reconstruction. Teams not being promoted don’t *lose* something that they have. Teams being relegated too. There might be unjust beneficiaries but that’s better I think than unjust relegation.

I also suspect that’s where we’ll end up to avoid Hearts, or Thistle maybe, challenging in court.

On what basis can they make a legal challenge?

1) The SPFL rules that they both freely signed up to allows its board to sort out the leagues in the event of not completing 38 games.

2) Nobody can seriously challenge that the coronavirus shutdown meets that category and makes it completely impractical to fulfil all outstanding fixtures.

3) Hearts and Partick each have a vote against the proposal that requires three quarters of SPFL clubs and clear majorities in all four divisions to be ratified.

4) Top flight, second tier status etc. is not inalienable private property held by a club.

At no point so far has the SPFL done anything other than follow its rulebook; just because a handful of clubs might not like the outcome doesn’t mean that they have a credible legal case against it. Which is why despite all of Falkirk’s blubbering about the SPL, even those professional victims didn’t drag their gormless case before the courts.

If Hearts or ‘Thistle (boak’) want to try their luck then the SPFL should simply let the best available lawyers run up the clock for them and pass on the costs to those two tantrum clubs. Which hopefully cripples them.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Yeah, that's right. Our league form nose-dived after the the Spartans loss and we didn't catch up till the very end.

I imagine Jim Duffy's time at Morton would have been much shorter if that season was called early and we lost our chance at promotion. The comeback against Stenny and the subsequent final matches were surely the only thing that saved his job that season. Paul McMullen missing a one on one with Gaston with us 2-0 down was such a turning point. I'd love to relive that match from that miss.

League reconstruction is a separate issue. If there is a positive vision which can be agreed among enough clubs, then that should be put forward - but it has to actually be beneficial in the longer term.

As it is there are surely two options as far as I can see. Null and void the season or finish with average points determining positions now. Neither are particularly fair, but those are the options. The playoffs cannot be played and have to be cancelled, so no-one can go up and down through that mechanism, but the automatic rel/pro places are still there and can be used. There's nothing particularly satisfying (well, I mean in general, there's obviously satisfaction in particular outcomes for particular club's as things stand) in any outcome, but that's where we are.

On what basis can they make a legal challenge?

1) The SPFL rules that they both freely signed up to allows its board to sort out the leagues in the event of not completing 38 games.

2) Nobody can seriously challenge that the coronavirus shutdown meets that category and makes it completely impractical to fulfil all outstanding fixtures.

3) Hearts and Partick each have a vote against the proposal that requires three quarters of SPFL clubs and clear majorities in all four divisions to be ratified.

4) Top flight, second tier status etc. is not inalienable private property held by a club.

At no point so far has the SPFL done anything other than follow its rulebook; just because a handful of clubs might not like the outcome doesn’t mean that they have a credible legal case against it. Which is why despite all of Falkirk’s blubbering about the SPL, even those professional victims didn’t drag their gormless case before the courts.

If Hearts or ‘Thistle (boak’) want to try their luck then the SPFL should simply let the best available lawyers run up the clock for them and pass on the costs to those two tantrum clubs. Which hopefully cripples them.

Falkirk was different - there was a clear set of criteria there and they couldn’t satisfy them.

In this case there’s a degree of discretion and if a club’s interests are harmed in the exercise of that discretion they might try to argue that it was irrational, or that it was procedurally flawed, or that they had a legitimate expectation to play 38 games, or whatever other arguments they might chuck at it. And to win a case isn’t the only reason for raising an action - they might do so to delay/frustrate a decision or to force a settlement somewhere before any hearing (eg to turn a vague promise to look at league reconstruction into a meaningful commitment).

League reconstruction is a separate issue. If there is a positive vision which can be agreed among enough clubs, then that should be put forward - but it has to actually be beneficial in the longer term.

As it is there are surely two options as far as I can see. Null and void the season or finish with average points determining positions now. Neither are particularly fair, but those are the options. The playoffs cannot be played and have to be cancelled, so no-one can go up and down through that mechanism, but the automatic rel/pro places are still there and can be used. There's nothing particularly satisfying (well, I mean in general, there's obviously satisfaction in particular outcomes for particular club's as things stand) in any outcome, but that's where we are.

I’m not sure null and void is a practical option, in that clubs/governing bodies are running scared of the implications for sponsorship and broadcast contracts covering the season, and therefore income.

Three leagues of 16, each playing 30 league games a season.

Too many teams too few games. Need to be getting the pro teams count down and regionalise everything else.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived