Morton Moment You Would Relive if You Could - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Moment You Would Relive if You Could

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving the car park after that and everyone hearing the other scores which meant we knew a win and we would win the league the following week.

Yep - we had been a point behind Peterhead and level with Albion Rovers. 

They drew 0-0 - putting us top with that one game left.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Morton 5 Kilmarnock 1

McGraw 4 Caven 1

IIRC Killiw were unbeaten I think

Joe Caven's favourite game for Morton.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Joe Caven's favourite game for Morton.

Watched the Stranraer game 2015 this afternoon

After the Brechin defeat at home I honestly thought we had blown it but this win and the last few games will always stay in my memory

I’ve said it many time before but McManus won us that championship and for that he should always be held in the highest regard by our supporters

Not sure of my order all great days.

1 St M 1 v 5 Ton 10 April 99

One up when big Yardley equalised, on the ropes when Anderson got sent off. Thomas buries a hat-trick

2 Dundee u 2 v 3 ton 1/4 final on 2 March 69

Harper must have had about four disallowed for off side going into the last few minutes when he looked offside burying it from the centre of the six yard box and ref says yes. Brick through window on the way home.

3 Ton 3 v 3 Rangers 17 April 68

Papers said we were a team of cast offs. Under the floodlights we killed off Rangers league challenge. They were only saved by a Greig double but a great atmosphere.

4. Fairs cup 3-4 defeat

Only a boy but loved when we went 3-1 up early in the first half only for Russel to get beat from what seemed like half way.

5 Ton 6 v 0 Dundee U 6 Sept 70

Those where the days sadly lost game up there 5-4

The 1978 Airdrie game was also a great night.

Also some great Texaco cup nights.

What happend to those days

• 4 weeks later...

The East Fife away game which got us back on track was mental. Fans had to sit on the stairs and stand at the exit to watch the game despite big gaps in the home end. The #scenes when Hawke came off the bench and put us in front.

17 years to the day since we won that Third Division title- East Fife, who came up in second place behind us, have produced a video of their games in that run in, which of course includes that 1-0 defeat to us at New Bayview. I don't think I'd ever seen Hawke's goal from that game since it hit the net, so there's some grainy footage from about 9.35 in the link below. Another highlight of the video is the East Fife tannoy playing "The Best", by Tina Turner as they celebrated promotion, when in actual fact, they were second best.

https://eftv.info/live-video/

Meanwhile, since furloughing their staff and taking on a volunteer, we've seen no acknowledgement of the 5th anniversary of our League One title win, the 25th anniversary of our Second Division title win or any other memories such as the above game, the Scottish Cup win or any of our other title wins. The club have, however, found the time to congratulate the volunteer on his 100th podcast. I get the impression that one party is getting more benefit from this arrangement than the other.

17 years to the day since we won that Third Division title- East Fife, who came up in second place behind us, have produced a video of their games in that run in, which of course includes that 1-0 defeat to us at New Bayview. I don't think I'd ever seen Hawke's goal from that game since it hit the net, so there's some grainy footage from about 9.35 in the link below. Another highlight of the video is the East Fife tannoy playing "The Best", by Tina Turner as they celebrated promotion, when in actual fact, they were second best.

Meanwhile, since furloughing their staff and taking on a volunteer, we've seen no acknowledgement of the 5th anniversary of our League One title win, the 25th anniversary of our Second Division title win or any other memories such as the above game, the Scottish Cup win or any of our other title wins. The club have, however, found the time to congratulate the volunteer on his 100th podcast. I get the impression that one party is getting more benefit from this arrangement than the other.

Can you confirm or deny the rumour that there is no place he’d ever want to be at 3pm on a Saturday?

What does he do if it’s an away game?!

Things the club account haven't felt the need to tweet this week; 

- Updates on the club's position on league reconstruction and the decision to end the league season

- The anniversary of the Dumbarton game in 1995 

- The anniversary of the Peterhead game in 2003 

Things the club account has felt it necessary to tweet this week; 

cfb.jpg

It is also worth noting that the club Twitter launched a POTY and YPOTY vote the day after MCT announced theirs, and had theirs close the day before MCT's vote closed. I can't remember the club ever running a POTY vote before, let alone solely through Twitter. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

I would have loved to have went to the 'Stars of 79' night. It sounded like a right hoot, all things considered.

:thumbup2: :lol: :P

Haha I was there! I was shouting for an encore. ‘Come on Stars of ‘79’ come back on and keep scoring!’

I had a few two many ladyboys that night. When I woke up the next day I discovered a bucket full of money in the boot of the Lexus!

Haha I was there! I was shouting for an encore. ‘Come on Stars of ‘79’ come back on and keep scoring!’

I had a few two many ladyboys that night. When I woke up the next day I discovered a bucket full of money in the boot of the Lexus!

I thought you were making a guest appearance, and getting paid cash with a pile of fivers to avoid it going through the books. Just like Chick Young did.

*insert signature here*

That NHS logo looks so stupid on Morton's Twitter.

Real Celticesque behaviour.

Couldn't agree more. On a positive note though, the volunteer appears to have chucked it since getting his big interview with Joey Barton. There's no need for Morton to provide him with a platform anymore so hopefully once we're through the pandemic that'll be the last we see of him taking anything to do with his local wee diddy club.

Would prefer if he was to be unsuccessful in his podcasts too of course, but every cloud's got a silver lining.

I thought you were making a guest appearance, and getting paid cash with a pile of fivers to avoid it going through the books. Just like Chick Young did.

They asked me to make an appearance but Cliff Thorburn became available at the last minute.

I still have the bucket of money in my conservatory. I’ve been using it as a paperweight.

Cheers for finding and linking that. Fantastic day.

The stuff I do on twitter may not be everyone's cuppa, but it has generated responses and discussions from Ton fans, other clubs and their fans.

In all that time, the Morton twitter has acknowledged nothing. Will probably stop tagging them as it just uses up letters.

Archived