Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game

capitanus

Ain't happening. This is, for a few weeks at least, the new reality. The club has some serious thinking to do, because the SFA and League aren't going to even come close to making up the shortfall.

So long as the games are postponed and played eventually then you’re only dealing with a short term cashflow issue and relatively small losses overall. Playing them behind closed doors would be financially ruinous on a whole new level and thankfully doesn’t seem to be on the cards for now. We’ve had cases of winter weather causing a protracted shutdown before as well as the SPFL (or its predecessor) paying out some of the end of season sums early to clubs in immediate danger of folding - IIRC Gretna received that aid. So I think Scottish football can just about muddle through a month or so’s disruption but if it becomes indefinite or they play the games behind closed doors then a government bailout is essential.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So long as the games are postponed and played eventually then you’re only dealing with a short term cashflow issue and relatively small losses overall. Playing them behind closed doors would be financially ruinous on a whole new level and thankfully doesn’t seem to be on the cards for now. We’ve had cases of winter weather causing a protracted shutdown before as well as the SPFL (or its predecessor) paying out some of the end of season sums early to clubs in immediate danger of folding - IIRC Gretna received that aid. So I think Scottish football can just about muddle through a month or so’s disruption but if it becomes indefinite or they play the games behind closed doors then a government bailout is essential.

Unless the Euros are postponed and the season extended, I don't see the season finishing. There are just too many variables at play here.

EOho8Pw.png

A multi-city, pan-European Euros this summer is likely to get binned though, whether it goes ahead next summer or not at all.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I can't help but think that if it is serious enough to cancel the euros then its unlikely that domestic games would be allowed to resume

If they are not able to complete the fixtures then the only 2 options are

1. void the entire season

2. award titles/promotion/relegation based on current positions

Both are totally unfair - scenario 1 would be unfair on the likes of sellic & dundee utd, whereas option 2 would be unfair on the likes of Hearts and sevco(although arguably their season is now over either way).

You’ve done it again. You’ve said it again!

I can't help but think that if it is serious enough to cancel the euros then its unlikely that domestic games would be allowed to resume

If they are not able to complete the fixtures then the only 2 options are

1. void the entire season

2. award titles/promotion/relegation based on current positions

Both are totally unfair - scenario 1 would be unfair on the likes of sellic & dundee utd, whereas option 2 would be unfair on the likes of Hearts and sevco(although arguably their season is now over either way).

3. Award titles and promotions based on current standings, but void all relegations - restructure the divisions in to three of 14...

They might suggest curtailing the leagues so that only the first three quarters counted, so 27 games each in our division.  I'm not sure if that would be feasible unless everyone has played everyone else at least three times, but if it was just a very few games outstanding to get to that point, they could maybe play them behind closed doors and put them on TV to get the revenue in.  Clubs that had played 28 games would need to have one result discarded, in our case probably the Arbroath games so only 1 point.  Far more likely they'll just abandon this season cos it's not going to be starting up again in only a couple of weeks and any fudge is going to be disputed by someone.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I can't help but think that if it is serious enough to cancel the euros then its unlikely that domestic games would be allowed to resume.

What I mean is that the European domestic leagues, Champions’ League and Europa League will be pencilled in for May-June-early July, with the Euros then being a victim of the calendar as well as being a total logistical nightmare just three months from its scheduled start. They’ll still have to rearrange European-wide international playoffs before the lineup is even complete: none of those are happening in the near future. Countries are currently closing their borders never mind letting in football tourists.

Obviously if the situation hasn’t improved by May then the game’s a bogey for everyone involved, but UEFA knows what side its bread is buttered on now and so international football will likely be the first to go.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Brechin get papped down to the basement regardless.

They’re already in the basement of Scottish football that matters. They’re now just getting moved to the Fritzl-cellar annexe, where getting drubbed 7-1 by Fraserburgh and duelling with Strathspey Thistle for relevance becomes their sole purpose in life.

Hopefully we can fully rejig the abandoned leagues to the way they should be and instate Oban Saints and Rothesay Brandane in the top flight alongside us next season. Ross County, Hamilton and Saint Johnstone: doon ye go.

What I mean is that the European domestic leagues, Champions’ League and Europa League will be pencilled in for May-June-early July, with the Euros then being a victim of the calendar as well as being a total logistical nightmare just three months from its scheduled start. They’ll still have to rearrange European-wide international playoffs before the lineup is even complete: none of those are happening in the near future. Countries are currently closing their borders never mind letting in football tourists.

Obviously if the situation hasn’t improved by May then the game’s a bogey for everyone involved, but UEFA knows what side its bread is buttered on now and so international football will likely be the first to go.

Yeah fair enough. I agree that even in a best case scenario it is now highly unlikely that the euros will go ahead

Don't see us getting through this until Sept 2020 at earliest.

There are no completion rules in place for dealing with this senario so there can be no fair outcome.

Fair outcome would be playing outstanding league games from Sept 2020.

Cancel the league cup.

Condense 20/21 league season with no friendlies and possibly make cup one game no replays.

While they prob won't consider it dump Internationals at the expense of European club games.

While this may resolve the calender issue it will not resolve the financial mess.

Morton can't afford to pay players without income. Supporters would need accept season tickets are gone and the MCT would need a greater number of members.

Clubs and in the main F/T PL and Championship clubs will be put to the brink as their main source of income comes from gate money. There will be lots in the queue for Gov aid not sure football will be a priority.

Player registration is a big issue but like a lot of people incomes will drop so it will be take what you can get. Where are the % Agents in a time of need.

It its not the clubs choice to cancel then they might be able to get compensation from the spfl who would preusmabky have some sort of insurance.

The club should have business interruption insurance. The question will be whether or not they will be able to claim in this situation.

The club should have business interruption insurance. The question will be whether or not they will be able to claim in this situation.

Aye they'll have to have their own too but I'd have thought that if it's an sfa/spfl decision for cancellation rather than the clubs then they'd have some sort of liability insurance too.

3. Award titles and promotions based on current standings, but void all relegations - restructure the divisions in to three of 14...

I’d prefer two divisions of 16 and one of 10. You would still need play-offs for current leagues 1 & 2. You could cancel next season’s league cup and play out this seasons final fixtures, with a shorter next season to follow.

I’d prefer two divisions of 16 and one of 10. You would still need play-offs for current leagues 1 & 2. You could cancel next season’s league cup and play out this seasons final fixtures, with a shorter next season to follow.

Three leagues of 16, clubs who could contribute something worthwhile to the game should be elected automatically - Berwick Rangers, Galashiels Fairydean, Fraserburgh/Inverurie and Fort William.

*insert signature here*

Archived