Morton v Ayr United - Tuesday 29th October - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton v Ayr United - Tuesday 29th October

Chesh

Agreed on Timmons. Supporters could see after 45 minutes of football that Ramsbottom looked dodgy, yet that’s what our goalkeeping expert brought to the club.

Just not good enough... bye bye.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timmons or whatever he's called should be following Ramsbottom out the door. It's not acceptable to have a "scout" who brings players as bad as Ramsbottom to the club, a terrible goalkeeper is very easy to spot. 

Englishman with no experience of Scottish football having a false perception of strength of the league thanks to the British media's endemic and unsubstantiated criticism of our game.

Many such cases. SAD!

Like all clubs we’ve had some shockers over the years, but I think Ramsbottom is genuinely the worst goalkeeper I’ve ever seen at the club. Every single performance is in the realm of Gonet at Broadwood or McWilliams at Firhill, with the difference being that those players were second or third choice options who made that one appearance then never got near the team again.

Hopkin has not only signed this guy as a first choice but has continued to pick him despite his flaws being clear for all to see by the end of the group stage of the League Cup. I have no idea what the logic behind persisting with him is but Hopkin is actively hurting the club every time he puts him on the pitch.

Think about the pelters Johansson correctly got last season for signing and persisting with Dallas. In Ramsbottom Hopkin has got a player further out of his depth than that, he’s got an alternative available, he’s still picking him and we’re talking about a fucking goalkeeper flinging the ball into his own net in every game.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Yep, on second viewing he has to hold onto that. 

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Can’t see for sure in the highlights, who was the midfielder that was completely done in the middle of the park and left trailing behind? (at their winner) Dreadful whoever it was...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Like all clubs we’ve had some shockers over the years, but I think Ramsbottom is genuinely the worst goalkeeper I’ve ever seen at the club. Every single performance is in the realm of Gonet at Broadwood or McWilliams at Firhill, with the difference being that those players were second or third choice options who made that one appearance then never got near the team again.

Hopkin has not only signed this guy as a first choice but has continued to pick him despite his flaws being clear for all to see by the end of the group stage of the League Cup. I have no idea what the logic behind persisting with him is but Hopkin is actively hurting the club every time he puts him on the pitch.

Think about the pelters Johansson correctly got last season for signing and persisting with Dallas. In Ramsbottom Hopkin has got a player further out of his depth than that, he’s got an alternative available, he’s still picking him and we’re talking about a fucking goalkeeper flinging the ball into his own net in every game.

Rogers had a bad spell but his goalkeeping pedigree is sound and Aberdeen have retained him, putting him out on loan because they value him as potentially a Premier League goalie.

Ramsbottom on the other hand has no pedigree to speak of and although the fans would want him to come good he shows no signs of that.

Every goalie makes some good saves but it's the bread and butter routine stuff that is almost taken for granted that should keep a goalie in the team and it is in that regard that Ramsbottom fails.

We cannot afford to give goals away every week because of his inability to hold onto the ball, his failure to realise that just stopping the ball is no use if all you do is set it up for an easy tap-on or his clearances which just set up the next attack on our goal.

Rogers is clearly a better option and why Hopkin persists with Ramsbottokm is baffling.

The first game of the season for me and despite five goals it wasn't worth the effort. It started badly as, no surprise, the online system didn't work and I had to phone Cappielow to buy on the fan card, guess what that never worked either. Following a host of others, I then made my way to the Head Steward or at least the lady with the shiniest yellow workie jacket. She checked the list a number of times and I was not on it as having bought a ticket. Sadly for me, I was still let in.

From speaking to others and reading the forum, I had low expectations - even these were not met. We were awful and Ayr fully deserved the win. Only one team tried to play football and it was not us. I woke up with a sore neck this morning. I assume the DH style is kick the ball as high and as far as you can in the direction you are facing and hope for something. At least everyone in our team, excluding the goalkeeper, can succeed in this ambition most of the time. Other than that we were grim to watch. Still not bad enough for me to join Clydeview on the sideline at the Wanderers but no encouragement to return to Cappielow. 

I said in early August that Timmins was an impostor if he thinks that "recruiting" Ramsbottom is appropriate for the Championship, but despite having another option it's Hopkin who continues to select him for the team. Utterly mystifying.

That's not to put all the blame on Ramsbottom, though. Yes, the third goal is an absolute textbook example of "hard hands", which a professional goalkeeper absolutely cannot have. But we are just so bloody porous. There's enough sound and fury but no closing down, and when we do we overcommit (see Jim giving the Ayr lad space for their - admittedly very, very well-taken second.)

And to the guy in the stand who says "there's naebd'y err" at 5:21 after Strapp punts a ball to nobody in particular, that's just the story of all the long balls forward. Not to be a "keep it on the deck" yer da but our equalizer came after a brief passing move (and, admittedly, an awful defensive error and a goalkeeping blunder) through the middle, not some crap ball down the channel.

Above all, it's absolutely clear as day from the highlights that half the team was dead on its feet after our equalizer, even McHugh. It was not a huge surprise that we lost our excellent home record, then. That's what happens when you can't last 90 minutes and have weaknesses in key positions.

It's one step forward, two steps back under Hopkin. He's fortunate that this is a hard-fought division with a lot of teams that can take points off everyone else, because in other years we could be in real difficulty by now.

EOho8Pw.png

The first game of the season for me and despite five goals it wasn't worth the effort. It started badly as, no surprise, the online system didn't work and I had to phone Cappielow to buy on the fan card, guess what that never worked either. Following a host of others, I then made my way to the Head Steward or at least the lady with the shiniest yellow workie jacket. She checked the list a number of times and I was not on it as having bought a ticket. Sadly for me, I was still let in.

From speaking to others and reading the forum, I had low expectations - even these were not met. We were awful and Ayr fully deserved the win. Only one team tried to play football and it was not us. I woke up with a sore neck this morning. I assume the DH style is kick the ball as high and as far as you can in the direction you are facing and hope for something. At least everyone in our team, excluding the goalkeeper, can succeed in this ambition most of the time. Other than that we were grim to watch. Still not bad enough for me to join Clydeview on the sideline at the Wanderers but no encouragement to return to Cappielow. 

Remember how this new turnstile system was going to stop the apparent hemorrhage of money we suffered under the old ways?

EOho8Pw.png

Ramsbottom’s feet are too slow for professional football. For the 3rd goal a bog standard keeper for this level is on his feet quicker after the stop and then it’s a simple step to the left and take the ball into the chest. Instead we’ve got him flailing with a big stupid dive. Rubbish.

This is also a good point, and when he does get to his feet he's hunched over and staggering and can't get any movement.

I'm starting to feel a bit bad for picking on him after every single game (except the Inverness one) but his lack of basic attributes is so bloody obvious that it's hard not to. Except when a game is live, I only ever see highlights, so maybe he's doing yeoman's work for the remaining 81 minutes of games and I'm just not seeing it, but somehow I doubt it. He's just not got it at all. Utterly, utterly mystifying that both a professional goalkeeping coach and a former Premier League player and international midfielder, with two promotions underh is belt, think he's worth proceeding with.

Normally this is the time I'd think "well, they're the professionals and I'm just a fan, maybe they see something I don't", but this time I really don't think that's the case. He's just absolutely crap and they're sticking with him either out of a misplaced sense of loyalty, pride, or both.

EOho8Pw.png

Jacobs. He’s rotten and needs dropped

Jacobs did well in the first half protecting the defence; he was abysmal in the second. He was clearly instructed to man mark Moffat after the second goal - I don't know whether he was also doing that for Ayr's first two goals  - though I could have done about as much as he did in that task. All he did was follow him about the place without actually tackling or intercepting the ball at any point. By the third goal he like the rest of the midfield were visibily knackered and so the lion's share of the blame for that goes to the 'wait and see' brains trust in the dugout. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Ayr keeper had the worst error of the game for Bob's goal, but Sheepsarse is a bombscare. Is he in the team to punt the ball into the opposition box, cos he does have a long kick that is probably consistent with Hopkinball? Worrying that many players don't have 90 minutes in them - we need to be the fittest team in the league to grind out results.

This being Morton, it would not surprise me if we beat Dundee, but equally we could lose 5-0. Must have Rogers back for this one.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived