Morton Club Together Updates - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Yes, T and C will be issued containing all details you need to know before deciding whether you want to invest

We are working on this and it will be finalised well before anyone, including me, is asked to pay any money!

This is a bit chicken and egg

The best T&C document will be possible if and when we maximise pledges withing the six week period

The more money we have, the more chance we can insist, for example, that the £2,5m is written off

I appreciate that this is a leap of faith

250+ people have taken this leap on the basis that we all reserve the right to withdraw our pledges at any time, and well before we pay any money

We are asking people to take that leap of faith

We will potentially leave pledging open after the six weeks

However it is a great chance for us all to demonstrate our influence and togetherness in the absence of the full T&C being agreed, on the basis that it will be, to pledge now safely and securely well before we pay any money

You can withdraw your pledge at any time and we won't be chasing people or doing a hard sell at any time

MCT is about well intentioned volunteers rallying together to give the Morton support the voice that we believe we deserve.

Graham,

Could You look at my post on the most recent page, which I mistakenly sent to the administrator, who must’ve been posting on your behalf. I’d appreciate your response!

I’m now at a crossroads with stuck traffic lights over the MCT pledge v season book decision. This thread could be retiitled “MCT ask me anything but I might not answer”

The article in Thursday’s DR focussed on how far and wide “pledgers” came from, without a word on how the scheme is going to work. I’m now wishing the scheme was never mentioned as an option, as I’d have just bought my season book by now as normal. I don’t really understand how the funds can be used to allow fans to have part ownership in Morton, whilst at the same time the money goes entirely on the playing budget. Meantime we’ve already brought in most of our squad with another 6 to follow before these funds are released to David Hopkin. In the absence of a response from MCT, can anyone explain to me the benefits in pledging my cash to MCT rather than buying a season book, as I won’t be doing both.

I’m now at a crossroads with stuck traffic lights over the MCT pledge v season book decision. This thread could be retiitled “MCT ask me anything but I might not answer”

To be fair to the guy(s) behind MCT, they probably have bigger problems to worry about than whether or not you choose to buy a season ticket. Also, in fairness to them again they are not promoting this as an alternative to buying a season ticket.

The article in Thursday’s DR focussed on how far and wide “pledgers” came from, without a word on how the scheme is going to work.

If they came from nearby Gourock toon and even from the Port, nobody would really give a flying fuck, but the fact that they come from places as far away as Australia would give quite a few at MCT Pledge HQ a hard on, and would seem impressive to the cheap Daily Record hacks, but what they don't realize it's probably that 1314/NewTon twat who has a history of not following through with pledges, and a creepy old bastard into the bargain.

I’m now wishing the scheme was never mentioned as an option, as I’d have just bought my season book by now as normal.

It was never presented as an alternative to the Season Ticket. If you are going to decide either/or, it is purely your call.

I wish that this MCT scheme was never mentioned as it was a shite idea based upon a pub conversation with fag packet logic and hairbrained thinking of 'ivry buddy chips in munny' with a 'Leadership Team' that reads like the cast of Ben Hur.

The parable of 'The boy who cried wolf' springs to mind here - What if the club encounters another administration in the near future, will the public at large be willing to stump up yet again to ensure 'our survival' and 'save the ton' after this false alarm?

I don’t really understand how the funds can be used to allow fans to have part ownership in Morton, whilst at the same time the money goes entirely on the playing budget.

You aren't the only one who doesn't understand the concept, and I reckon that our former players and manager whom have been recruited as figurehead don't understand it much either, and neither do any of the journalists whom I've seen cover it so far. This guy McLennan should have formulated his idea before going public with it. It is encouraging to see that with over £150k worth of pledges that there is sufficient interest in the club going forward to ensure that there will be a Morton in 10-20years time, but my big concern is the quality of this idea - it's not very good - and those pledges may not do so again in our hour of need if this plan goes pear-shaped, which considering that Graham McLennan chap seems hellbent on reinventing the wheel and relying on pledges and promises, this is a very probable outcome.

Meantime we’ve already brought in most of our squad with another 6 to follow before these funds are released to David Hopkin. In the absence of a response from MCT, can anyone explain to me the benefits in pledging my cash to MCT rather than buying a season book, as I won’t be doing both.

Its your call what you do with your money. Grow a pair and make your own mind up.

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

Its your call what you do with your money. Grow a pair and make your own mind up.

I would say I’m a decisive person by nature, though normally I’ll have the details in front of me before I pledge any cash. If I don’t get some worthwhile details soon I’m leaning towards the season book.

• Downvote 2

I really can't see any possible way MCT could represent a better use of money than a season ticket. £300 now is quite clearly far more useful.

Also, the new MCT website is, surprise surprise, of absolutely no use at all. There's a grain of a good idea in the midst of it, but in its current form it's quite frankly a mess being led by somebody who appears to not have much of a clue what he's doing other than getting himself in newspapers and name-dropping ex-players.

• Upvote 2

AWMSC

I really can't see any possible way MCT could represent a better use of money than a season ticket. £300 now is quite clearly far more useful.

Also, the new MCT website is, surprise surprise, of absolutely no use at all. There's a grain of a good idea in the midst of it, but in its current form it's quite frankly a mess being led by somebody who appears to not have much of a clue what he's doing other than getting himself in newspapers and name-dropping ex-players.

My thoughts exactly.

Is he not a mate of Crawford Rae?

It’s astonishing that so few fans actually know this guy. Going into cappielow most Saturdays you recognise faces and get chatting to folk. Very few folk actually know this fellow.

Bring a friend to help Hoppy.

• Upvote 2

It’s more useful to the Raes and getting ‘Hoppy’ a fourth centre back, sure. But a pledge begins the task of prising the club out of the hands of those incompetent sweety merchants, which is actually the real challenge that the support has to bring about. A season ticket can change absolutely nothing at the club.

Obviously a ST is going to be the priority for an ever-present at games, but if you only make half the home games then a pledgers and paying at the gate is IMO a far better choice than just chucking £300 at the club for a season ticket. Similarly, expats who can’t go to games but might want to financially support the future of the club have a far more credible way to do so now than essentially handing over a cheque to Crawford for literally nothing in return.

Of course, if the club had set out a credible price policy that took account of the MCT scheme then few people would be having this discussion right now. By wanting to have their cake and eat it, the club is now going to suppress both revenue streams - GMFC’s unerring ability to fuck things up is truly remarkable.

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Amazed that holding MCT events in egg-chasing and golf clubs respectively didn’t get the desired level of engagement tbh.

That was something which I found pretty surprising too, that the public meetings related to the MCT scheme were not held in places which were traditionally frequented by the majority of Morton supporters, but places like a local rugby club and a golf club in a neighbouring town. Even if it was held in places like the Morton Club in Regent Street, whom I would imagine would be delighted to host such events and would welcome non-members along, it would make more sense than the recent choice of venues.

It's almost as though they don't want a certain element of their support along to ask tough, but nontheless relevant questions of the supposed leaders.

*insert signature here*

I would say I’m a decisive person by nature, though normally I’ll have the details in front of me before I pledge any cash. If I don’t get some worthwhile details soon I’m leaning towards the season book.

Do whatever you want. Nobody really cares either way.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

From the 'Morton Club Together' website:

Q2 Can MCT prove the agreements with the Morton Board and Golden Casket?

A. Everything relating to the share issue will be nailed down, in writing, and shared with all pledgers long before we are asked to make our investments. This will be in the form of a written Share Transfer Agreement between MCT and Golden Casket Ltd, and Pledgers Terms and Conditions. All the facts that MCT pushed to have in the press (Greenock Telegraph, Daily Record, and picked up by the Scottish Sun and others) for which we are very grateful to these media, are based on agreements made between MCT and Greenock Morton Football Club. MCT gave the Greenock Morton Board (led by Mr Rae who also represents Golden Casket) the opportunity to edit the material MCT produced for the press, which they did.

Our approach is honesty, openness and joint working with everyone. If we have misunderstood any of the facts, which we don’t believe we have, then we will hold our hands up. The Morton Board and Golden Casket are obviously key to this whole proposition, and if they don’t agree with any of the facts we are sharing with people, they can let us know. Of course we will welcome this and adjust our way forward. THERE’S NO POINT IN MESSING ABOUT HERE. ALL OF THE MCT VOLUNTEERS AND ALL OF OUR SUPPORTERS AND PLEDGERS HAVEN’T GOT THE TIME FOR THAT.

We all (EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US) share a love for Morton and a passion for making Morton as strong as can be!

The more pledges we make, the stronger MCT will be, which adds value to this assertion and our position.

Just looking at the press coverage of the MCT scheme: since it's launch:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/morton-fans-launch-10-pledge-14626743

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4168951/morton-hearts-st-mirren-motherwell-fans-buyout/

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/17597688.morton-supporter-launches-an-ambitious-fan-ownership-scheme-aimed-at-taking-an-initial-25-per-cent-stake-in-the-club/

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/other_football/17624319.dreams-of-fan-ownership-amid-end-of-season-turmoil-at-morton/

Of all the media coverage which MCT has had since it's launch, only one has reported it properly for what it is:

'A supporters’ alliance called Morton Club Together (MCT) have launched a scheme for fans to pledge financial assistance for the club, targeting £400,000 in return for 15% of the club’s shares.'

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17677910.mcgraw-hopkin-is-the-man-to-rebuild-morton-on-budget/

This is not 'Fan Ownership' or a 'Fans Buyout' or a Share Offer or anything else like this. It's purely 'ivry buddy chips in munny'. Nothing more, nothing less.

*insert signature here*

i went along on Saturday night to meet the people involved and clarify what the bigger picture actually is , i met a lot of people i already knew and some that i didn't ,i also met a lot of friends who already knew Graham or worked with him , and said nothing but good things about him , so i'll be taking my friends word for that .anyone i spoke to was more than happy to chat and explain why they are doing this and how they are doing it,

they also explained what the process is going to be (once confirmed and signed), there will be a legal contract and signed terms and conditions setting out that contract given to each of the pledge's, asking them to convert the pledge into a payment , this payment will then go towards the players budget and only the playing budget, and for this pledge "golden casket" will gift MCT 15% shares (this is still being negotiated), and this will be from the off , not at the end of the 2 years , but at the befgining, 

i asked the question about ownership changing hands and how that would affect the MCT cash, and basically "golden Casket" could sell the remaining 75% as MCT would still hold 15%, obviously this changes things slightly as there would be new owners in place and the relationship may change, but the aim is still the same to provide additional funds for the playing budget....and eventually increase that share holding..

they also explained they have had many meetings with the Hibs, Hearts and St mirren Fan ownership groups and are modelling it around the Hibs system (if i heard correctly), i think we need to remember these guys started this from Scratch 8 weeks ago or something and are trying to pull together different streams of knowledge , and resources from a standing start , it's not going to be water tight or word perfect , but its certainly been better than anything else on offer ..

for me the fact that MCT would start with the 15% shareholding is important , if it was to be gifted after the 24months , i would have been a bit more concerned.. there is also the thought that after the 2 years there would be a further plan to increase the shareholding and bring in further grants and funding to the club ....

i think i could work out great for the club and the area if it were to take off and the guys all seem genuine and have the club and community at heart ... but it's up to each individual to decide i suppose ...

should have said as well , all decisions will be put to vote on a 1 vote 1 person setup ....

paddi

Ps.. i dont have all the answers ...but i'll answer what i can

Edited by paddi

All well and good, but was the 15% not based on a 400k commit?

You will be lucky if the final commit number is 100k.

They’re going to get an independent valuation of the club as £400k clearly isn’t worth only 15% of shares. In theory the £160k could be enough to justify 15% but that will all be agreed before money is taken from people.

as Houston says , they see the valuation as negotiable/flexible and have and have an independent valuation going on , they have looked at Valuations and share holdings of other schemes and think there is a bit of movement ...i think the Take away from it is that MCT would hold the shares from the beginning of the whole process, granted at the moment thats on the £400K figure, and hopefully clarifying that part might bring some other forward to pledge.... as this was initially my concern in it all , there was mention of a pro-rota type things as well , but was only muted being honest ... have to say as well , Crawford was there along side a few others from the club , the chief exec was more than happy to answer question on the proposal and explain Morton's side of things ... and if the enthusiasm and commitment that came from the goal keeping coach is anything to go my , there must be some feeling in the club , at one point i thought he was coming across the table , when explaining why they were only offering 1 year deals ..but people will make up there own minds on this and will decide where to put their hard earned money..me personally i think most clubs are going to have to look at this style of setup eventually to survive...

i went along on Saturday night to meet the people involved and clarify what the bigger picture actually is , i met a lot of people i already knew and some that i didn't ,i also met a lot of friends who already knew Graham or worked with him , and said nothing but good things about him , so i'll be taking my friends word for that .anyone i spoke to was more than happy to chat and explain why they are doing this and how they are doing it,

they also explained what the process is going to be (once confirmed and signed), there will be a legal contract and signed terms and conditions setting out that contract given to each of the pledge's, asking them to convert the pledge into a payment , this payment will then go towards the players budget and only the playing budget, and for this pledge "golden casket" will gift MCT 15% shares (this is still being negotiated), and this will be from the off , not at the end of the 2 years , but at the befgining,

i asked the question about ownership changing hands and how that would affect the MCT cash, and basically "golden Casket" could sell the remaining 75% as MCT would still hold 15%, obviously this changes things slightly as there would be new owners in place and the relationship may change, but the aim is still the same to provide additional funds for the playing budget....and eventually increase that share holding..

they also explained they have had many meetings with the Hibs, Hearts and St mirren Fan ownership groups and are modelling it around the Hibs system (if i heard correctly), i think we need to remember these guys started this from Scratch 8 weeks ago or something and are trying to pull together different streams of knowledge , and resources from a standing start , it's not going to be water tight or word perfect , but its certainly been better than anything else on offer ..

for me the fact that MCT would start with the 15% shareholding is important , if it was to be gifted after the 24months , i would have been a bit more concerned.. there is also the thought that after the 2 years there would be a further plan to increase the shareholding and bring in further grants and funding to the club ....

i think i could work out great for the club and the area if it were to take off and the guys all seem genuine and have the club and community at heart ... but it's up to each individual to decide i suppose ...

should have said as well , all decisions will be put to vote on a 1 vote 1 person setup ....

paddi

Ps.. i dont have all the answers ...but i'll answer what i can

Okay then, should we update the title of the thread from 'MCT ask me anything' to 'Random guy who attended a meeting - ask me anything'??

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*