Morton Club Together Updates - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Mixed feelings about this but I've decided to support this initiative. I fully understand the concerns expressed above but anything that offers a chance to slow down or very optimistically help to reverse our decline is worth a punt. 

• Upvote 1

Mixed feelings about this but I've decided to support this initiative. I fully understand the concerns expressed above but anything that offers a chance to slow down or very optimistically help to reverse our decline is worth a punt.

In other words, a crap idea is better than no idea?

*insert signature here*

I'm sceptical too mate but what do we have to lose really?

A few hundred pound each, plus the likelihood that a better idea in the future may fail as supporters would be less likely to back it.

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

In other words, a crap idea is better than no idea?

Let me know when the perfect solution that is a sure bet arrives and I'm sure I can be persuaded to support that as well.

This. A working progress and typical morton fans want the polished product.

Sad

Aye, pretty much. The guy is trying to do a good thing here and give us at least some influence in what goes on at Cappielow. Is it perfect? No. Does stuff need ironed out still? Absolutely. It’s ambitious, but it’s still in its infancy. It’d be good to see the majority of the support behind it.

Let me know when the perfect solution that is a sure bet arrives and I'm sure I can be persuaded to support that as well.

Were you ever a member of the GMST?

There is a better alternative out there - it goes along the lines of the Rae family selling part of their shareholding to individual investors and the supporters become shareholders in the club that way. We don't need to pledge or subscribe to an organization which is still at it embryonic stages to have them own the shares which we'd be paying for. We already have a fans collective - it's called the GMST.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Aye, pretty much. The guy is trying to do a good thing here and give us at least some influence in what goes on at Cappielow. Is it perfect? No. Does stuff need ironed out still? Absolutely. It’s ambitious, but it’s still in its infancy. It’d be good to see the majority of the support behind it.

Is he? As I said previously, it's hairbrained. I will never make Stuart Duncans Christmas Card list anytime soon, but to his credit he was way more organized and had a lot more thought put into the idea of a supporters trust, and this was almost 20 years earlier when such organizations were in their infancy.

*insert signature here*

This. A working progress and typical morton fans want the polished product.

Sad

I expect something a bit better than this hairbrained effort. 'ivry buddy chip in munny furra' ton' with the endorsement of a gurning Andy Ritchie is what this effectively amounts to.

*insert signature here*

There is a better alternative out there - it goes along the lines of the Rae family selling part of their shareholding to individual investors and the supporters become shareholders in the club that way. We don't need to pledge or subscribe to an organization which is still at it embryonic stages to have them own the shares which we'd be paying for. We already have a fans collective - it's called the GMST.

So a rabble of fans with no organisation who all, independently, own a miniscule proportion of the club giving money to the Raes (NOT MORTON) is better than a fans block with a democratic structure who own a small (but not miniscule) percentage of the club, have representation on the Board and give ALL money straight to the team?

On what planet is your suggestion better?

Is he? As I said previously, it's hairbrained. I will never make Stuart Duncans Christmas Card list anytime soon, but to his credit he was way more organized and had a lot more thought put into the idea of a supporters trust, and this was almost 20 years earlier when such organizations were in their infancy.

What do you think he’s trying to do then? He’s clearly not taking people’s money and riding off into the sunset with it. You can take issue with how it’s structured, distributed etc but I don’t really see how you could say the guy has anything other than good intentions. He’d have literally nothing to gain.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes. Sadly the trust turned into a poisoned chalice despite its well intentioned beginnings and i doubt the lord jesus could resurrect it.

I'd be very happy to see the Rae dominance reduced/eliminated but I'm unsure  that this is likely before we turn into a seaside league perennial.

Edited by TaunTon

Capitanus is on the money here. Its a weak idea with very little for our money at the end of it. As he said in an earlier post, what happens if after the two years we're still in the same place? 15% gets you very little. A whopping £400k for 15% is laughable.

Upwards of 40% and it might be worth talking about.

400k over two years could vastly improve the product on the park. If the scheme was saying that the Rae's received 400k then yes, that would be ludicrous for 15%. However, that isn't what is proposed and 400k over two years going STRAIGHT into the team is definitely a positive for the fans.

Other than crawfords word at this time, and given this is clearly a development, what else can he assume? Taking Crawford at face value, rightly or wrongly

It's a question of MCT clearly demonstrating that they understand how the business structure actually works. You can't take Crawford Rae's words at face value - not because I think that he's some moustache-twirling asset-stripper, but because he's only a figurehead representing GC's interests. GC's board will actually decide where they want any money to go, what the club should be valued at and when, if ever, their ridiculous stack of IOUs will be written off to make the club viable for new ownership. . 

I'm sure that MCT believes that having a friendly relationship with the current chairman is crucial to the success of the scheme, but that does not mean that they should be blind to the reality of who is calling the shots at the club. Verbal promises from Crawford are meaningless now; we will need GC to commit to any and all of this group's objectives before buying in. 

400k over two years could vastly improve the product on the park. If the scheme was saying that the Rae's received 400k then yes, that would be ludicrous for 15%. However, that isn't what is proposed and 400k over two years going STRAIGHT into the team is definitely a positive for the fans.

£200k per year would only minimise the decline of the product on the park, unless the new chief executive can identify how Iron Man managed to burn through even more than that in his last twelve months at the club and bring that to an end. 

And I don't actually see why the purpose of investment should lead to a massive difference in the club's valuation. GC has decided that it wants out but still clutches to a £2 million debt pile of its own making that makes the club a wild sell to any outside investor. Why are we supposed to be cravenly grateful that they're willing to part with 15% of the club if the fans bail them out of funding the club's current shortfall for two seasons? It's not as if they have a credible plan B to secure their interests instead. I think that MCT should be getting more than 15% and a commitment the money going into the first team pot: what other bids have they got on the table right now? It's a buyers' market. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's a question of MCT clearly demonstrating that they understand how the business structure actually works. You can't take Crawford Rae's words at face value - not because I think that he's some moustache-twirling asset-stripper, but because he's only a figurehead representing GC's interests. GC's board will actually decide where they want any money to go, what the club should be valued at and when, if ever, their ridiculous stack of IOUs will be written off to make the club viable for new ownership. .

I'm sure that MCT believes that having a friendly relationship with the current chairman is crucial to the success of the scheme, but that does not mean that they should be blind to the reality of who is calling the shots at the club. Verbal promises from Crawford are meaningless now; we will need GC to commit to any and all of this group's objectives before buying in.

£200k per year would only minimise the decline of the product on the park, unless the new chief executive can identify how Iron Man managed to burn through even more than that in his last twelve months at the club and bring that to an end.

And I don't actually see why the purpose of investment should lead to a massive difference in the club's valuation. GC has decided that it wants out but still clutches to a £2 million debt pile of its own making that makes the club a wild sell to any outside investor. Why are we supposed to be cravenly grateful that they're willing to part with 15% of the club if the fans bail them out of funding the club's current shortfall for two seasons? It's not as if they have a credible plan B to secure their interests instead. I think that MCT should be getting more than 15% and a commitment the money going into the first team pot: what other bids have they got on the table right now? It's a buyers' market.

My 'vastly improve' comment is based on the difference between whatever the budget is at the time of investment vs that +200k. Pbviously if Crawford cut the budget by 150k and we put in 200k that wouldn't do much.

I think they should receive more for that money as well, however, I think that is something which can be negotiated when/if this goes ahead.