Which players would you keep - Page 14 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Which players would you keep

Interested

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fully expect Strapp to at least stake a claim next season.

It was Albion Rovers admittedly, but I saw him in the Challenge Cup at Cliftonhill a few years ago and he looked the part. I'd hope he's improved since then. But really he needs to be playing at Championship level to make that happen.

EOho8Pw.png

I wouldn't write anyone off until Hoppy has a chance to work with them and assess them. One of his biggest strengths is similar to Steve Clarke's, recognising how to get the best out of players and developing them. The only players who may find themselves out the door quickly will be those with poor attitudes or, unfortunately for them, recurring injury problems. I'd imagine the latter deficiency also won't sit well with our new sports scientist / assistant manager.

I wouldn't write anyone off until Hoppy has a chance to work with them and assess them. One of his biggest strengths is similar to Steve Clarke's, recognising how to get the best out of players and developing them. The only players who may find themselves out the door quickly will be those with poor attitudes or, unfortunately for them, recurring injury problems. I'd imagine the latter deficiency also won't sit well with our new sports scientist / assistant manager.

He's not got the players though. He'll talk to those we had last season out of courtesy but they're free agents in the same as any other free agent.

Do you mean every one of our players are free agents? If so I'll admit I didn't realise that!

We only have three players signed with three others triggering extensions, which they can decline.

Fair sentiment but doesn't work in this scenario. Unless we invite them for pre-season without a contract, and they don't get offers from elsewhere.

He will have to make decisions on most of them without getting to work with them. We only have Dykes, Lyon and Pearson signed up. We are obliged to offer to Millar, McAlister and Buchanan due to them playing the required number of games, but that doesn't mean they definitely stay.

Would like to think a lot of them will be moved on and he will welcome the relatively blank canvas to build from.

At least we have the positive that he will have seen some of them play having been in attendance at games last season.

So that means the rest of last season's squad are all free agents the same as Tidser?  The likes of Iredale, Kilday, Telfer, McHugh etc. are all out of contract?

Yes   apart from those who  have triggered clause  in contract they  have option to  resign  

forever optimistic

So that means the rest of last season's squad are all free agents the same as Tidser?  The likes of Iredale, Kilday, Telfer, McHugh etc. are all out of contract?

Yes. They can re-sign for us if they get a suitable offer, or anybody else that offers to them.

In the case of Iredale, he's already gone and signed for Carlisle.

I've a funny feeling it might be that he's still joining Falkirk. They seem to be putting together a budget that is planned to get promoted at all costs and compete for promotion in the Championship the following season so wouldn't surprise me if they still push the boat out to sign him on a multi-year contract.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I was thinking that the other day. Obviously, they dok’t have as good a manager, but you’d assume Falkirk will be looking to replicate what Livi & Ayr did. Will have a team with a full season playing with each other, winning pretty much every week, that with a few additions can have them challenging at the top end of the Championship immediately.

I've a funny feeling it might be that he's still joining Falkirk. They seem to be putting together a budget that is planned to get promoted at all costs and compete for promotion in the Championship the following season so wouldn't surprise me if they still push the boat out to sign him on a multi-year contract.

Are they though? Or was that just McKinnon being a mouthbreather trying to gloss over the fact it was him that took them down with a thinly veiled '2 years to the Premiership' shout?

Talk amongst the Falkirk fans seems to indicate that nobody is quite sure what the budget is likely to be, and speculation that it's not even decided yet and will also hinge on ticket prices.

Some think they will go for the same budget as this season. One of their directors said the budget will drop by £50k if they reduce ticket prices by just 10%.

They have said there will be 2 or 3 'good' signings to build around. Tidser could be one but it would be a big financial hit.

Fully expect them to hope for the Livi/Ayr bounce, but not so sure that means they are going to go out and budget for it.

Just noticed the tele twitter advertisement for the story and it  says " As Morton bid to keep him at Cappielow " which is at least a positive step in developments.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived