Who Is Next? - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Is Next?

Malt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not hire him, let's go for someone who has only ever known success

Glad to see you're finally on Team Wake.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We are likely to get someone who is either an unknown quantity, has a past of mixed fortunes or a complete bag of spanners. 

We've just exhausted the fanbase's fill of a 'tried and tested' Scottish league journeyman manager. A 'safe pair of hands' pick from the usual merry-go-round was a logical response to how the Shiels pick went and the 10-2 result specifically. Duffy got the club out of its entirely self-inflicted mess - mostly brought about at boardroom level of course - and established it in the second tier again. He could take Morton no further though and so here we are. 

A 'statement of intent' is due from the new chairman in the coming week for a very good reason and that will only stand up to scrutiny if there is proof of intent in the club's next choice of manager. None of the names mentioned within Scottish football fit the bill. This is the time when the club has to make an adventurous pick rather than one offering at best a slight improvement on the current fayre. The risk is that it'll end up with the club being in the seaside leagues; the reward however is the only realistic chance that the club has of playing in the top flight in the near future. But there is no scope left for the club to pick another Scottish league mediocrity, finish 5-7th each season and tell everyone to bring a friend, so an outsider pick has to win out. Just as well then that there's already a perfect candidate waiting for the club's call across the sea.

It's time to bring Him home. 

DTSjF74XkAMIIW3.jpg

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

And no 'glaikit' managers in Scotland have ever been successful I suppose? Two words - Neil Lennon. Another two - Danny Lennon. Fckin hell, Scottish Football is littered with Glakit people who have made a healthy living out of management.

Walter Smith seemed to rate McDowall and his ability well enough to go outwith his own clique to appoint him as a coach, ahead of such 'Legends' like Bummer Brown, David Weir, Billy Kirkwood, Archie Knox etc.

Being a good coach and being a good manager are not the same thing. No, there's no guarantee McDowall would be a failure again, but going out and headhunting someone who's had one managerial job and been an absolute disaster in it based on their reputation as a coach when there are managers who actually have experience and some kind of success available would make no sense.

If that's our criteria for the appointment then John Potter is as credible a suggestion as McDowall.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

'They' don't have shares in Rangers.

In any case, 'without written permission from the board' is the key phrase here.

nope wrong on that

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

Serious question - why are you bugging him up so much? He's a youth coach with an alright record who failed in his one management job. Would he be the worst appointment ever? Probably not. But why is he even on your radar? There are dozens of other people who'd want the job.

I don't think that i am "bugging him up" it's just a suggestion that I'm putting out there, perhaps a bit leftfield and even controversial, and a bit more of a credible and realistic suggestion than the independently wealthy Ally McMoist on the basis of "Ah know a Rangers supporter and he said..." pish.

I remember before Alan Moore got the job, a young VikingTon was arguing a very good case for Brian Reid who was at Ayr at the time. When this time comes around every few years, all kinds of names get mentioned.

With Regards to Brian Wake, are we a big enough draw for him? Would you swap a decent wage and lifestyle in Sweden for Fancy Farm?

*insert signature here*

Here is another leftfield suggestion - Uwe Rosler. A good knowledge of the lower leagues in England, which could be ideal for loan players etc. Man City 'Hall of Fame' legend from their less affluent times, could be useful for getting youth players on loan etc.

Living and working in Scotland in a beautiful part of the world, the chance to have a blank canvas and build a club in his own image may be the thing that he's after. Would that appeal to him for a couple of seasons?

*insert signature here*

Here is another leftfield suggestion - Uwe Rosler. A good knowledge of the lower leagues in England, which could be ideal for loan players etc. Man City 'Hall of Fame' legend from their less affluent times, could be useful for getting youth players on loan etc.

Living and working in Scotland in a beautiful part of the world, the chance to have a blank canvas and build a club in his own image may be the thing that he's after. Would that appeal to him for a couple of seasons?

In a word...no.

Some like Barry Nicholson may apply as he will be leaving fleetwood

I don't think that i am "bugging him up" it's just a suggestion that I'm putting out there, perhaps a bit leftfield and even controversial, and a bit more of a credible and realistic suggestion than the independently wealthy Ally McMoist on the basis of "Ah know a Rangers supporter and he said..." pish.

I remember before Alan Moore got the job, a young VikingTon was arguing a very good case for Brian Reid who was at Ayr at the time. When this time comes around every few years, all kinds of names get mentioned.

With Regards to Brian Wake, are we a big enough draw for him? Would you swap a decent wage and lifestyle in Sweden for Fancy Farm?

I meant bigging up, but my phone doesn't think it's a word. McDowall is well-known from his time at Rangers so I don't think he's that left-field really.

Wake would jump at full time management, surely.

And I think Rosler is waaaaay out of our reach. Like Wake, he's fondly regarded in Scandinavia as well, further extending his options.

Then again if the rumors of Stuart McCall are true, maybe we're not so tiny after all, or maybe managers are that desperate.

EOho8Pw.png

Only one man for the job. A true Morton legend (unlike Wake). Bring him home.

Agreed. Gavin Gunning player-manager is the dream here.

A team set out to kick fuck out of any opponent in site and cigar their way to promotion.

Only one man for the job. A true Morton legend (unlike Wake). Super Ro. Bring him home.

Unfortunately I think that Rowan's time had came and went. That is probably one of the biggest regrets that DDFR will have from his time at Morton, that he never went for Him and Irons at the time he appointed McInally.

*insert signature here*

i think we can see now why Arsene Wenger announced he was leaving Arsenal.  Trust the, um, Arse.  Hmm, maybe not.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived