On This Day - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

On This Day

Admin

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26th January -

2013 - Morton 1-0 Raith Rovers (Tidser)

2008 - Dunfermline 2-0 Morton

2005 - Stirling Albion 1-1 Morton (a first half overhead kick by Stewart Greacen)

1991 - Stirling Albion 0-1 Morton 

A Dave McCabe goal won this Scottish Cup tie. This may have been our last trip to Annfield, but I've an odd feeling the game was played at Brockville because of Stirling's synthetic pitch.

1985 - Morton 3-3 Rangers

Pitch deemed to be fine to play on, just needed an orange ball. There's full 30 minute highlights available, but this is just the goals.

http://youtu.be/9vLkhp1uTIY

1980 - Morton 1-0 Cowdenbeath (Tolmie)

Cup again, the draw would give us Dunfermline at home.

A couple of older ones include a 4-4 draw away to Rangers in 1946 and a 9-0 win over Bo'ness in the cup in 1935.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I remember that 2003 game. Seems like a few seasons ago!

One sad thing I will say, I have been attending cappielow for near on 30 years now and my best memories are from when we were in the 3rd division! Would love a season like that in the championship!

One sad thing I will say, I have been attending cappielow for near on 30 years now and my best memories are from when we were in the 3rd division! Would love a season like that in the championship!

I think the away games made that season in particular - like the opener at Gretna, where the crap performance was ignored as most of the support were completely hammered. Last two away games (East Fife and Stirling) were brilliant.

“Memorable” first trip to Peterhead where we got through the traffic jams just in time for KO - and were 4-0 down by the break.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Are you mental?

There was quite a few memorable games that season, especially towards the end of it, but remember we were so bad that after an Albion fucking Rovers team featuring a 20 stone Mark Yardley beat us, it looked like we would be stuck in the 4th tier again.

The winning run and massive crowd at Cappielow glossed over a lot of things, but we were woeful for a lot of that campaign.

Are you mental?

There was quite a few memorable games that season, especially towards the end of it, but remember we were so bad that after an Albion ****ing Rovers team featuring a 20 stone Mark Yardley beat us, it looked like we would be stuck in the 4th tier again.

The winning run and massive crowd at Cappielow glossed over a lot of things, but we were woeful for a lot of that campaign.

There was a picture of Yardley doing the rounds after that game - he was unbelievably out of shape yet still bullied our defence.

2636085.main_image.jpg?strip=all

What were the buildings again (top right of the below pic) at what is now the car park.

14637d83281b981e1db9e02b1d680fe4.jpg

I think that was a coal depot.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Are you mental?

There was quite a few memorable games that season, especially towards the end of it, but remember we were so bad that after an Albion ****ing Rovers team featuring a 20 stone Mark Yardley beat us, it looked like we would be stuck in the 4th tier again.

Not mental but you are evidently a cunt.

Most fans will recall the big crowds, the buzz surrounding the Australians and Jani signing, Alex Williams scoring a ton, the game away to Stirling, Peterhead, the town after it that night.

So, aye, pure mad mental LAD!!!

That was my first season back in the fold after some years of barely caring and it does have to be said there was a buzz about the place, as there was in the first half of the following season. That it all ended in tears, and half the squad was (looking back on it) nowhere near good enough, doesn't change that.

Then again it was a massive drop from 95-96 and as Ray Von correctly points out, that late loss at Albion Rovers with seven games to go was really how the bulk of the season went. Drawing at places like Gretna and Firs Park was common.

EOho8Pw.png

Not mental but you are evidently a ****.

Most fans will recall the big crowds, the buzz surrounding the Australians and Jani signing, Alex Williams scoring a ton, the game away to Stirling, Peterhead, the town after it that night.

So, aye, pure mad mental LAD!!!

And that’s why I said there were a few memorable moments, great away days and super scoring for fun, but we were horse shit for some of the season.

I agree with the above, I'd been away from Greenock for years and had fallen away from going. The third division season was when I returned & got the bug again, not my best memories but it got me back into it.

Morton had a purpose and direction then with a clearly defined 5 year plan and fans bought into it. The board, team and support were united and it made following Morton a pleasure.

Now we appear to exist solely to get the Raes their money back and fans have had enough.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Better do this whilst it's still "today".

27th January - today marked only our second post-war win on this date.

2007 - Cowdenbeath 1-1 Morton (McGowan)

2001 - Peterhead 4-1 Morton (Ross Matheson)

Out of the cup - a disgraceful result, even allowing for it being during the dark days.

1990 - Falkirk 2-0 Morton

Have to go back to 1968 for a 4-0 Scottish Cup win over Falkirk.

A fair few games against non-league teams before the wars - Lochgelly, Murrayfield Amateurs (we drew this one), Dykehead, Inverness Clachnacuddin.

Better do this whilst it's still "today".

2001 - Peterhead 4-1 Morton (Ross Matheson)

Out of the cup - a disgraceful result, even allowing for it being during the dark days.

And I got home after spending 9 hours on a bus and watching that shite, to find that the wife had knocked a phuqing wall down between the living and dining rooms...........PHUQ!!!!!!!

January 28th - quite a few here so need more than one post for the clips.

2017 - Ayr United 1-4 Morton

Effortless doing of Ayr on BBC Alba, giving Gary Harkins a sign of what he'd be doing the following season.

http://youtu.be/saZ2aInUpqg

2012 - Queen of the South 2-1 Morton (Archie Campbell)

2008 - Gretna 0-3 Morton (Weatherson 2, Millar)

A cup replay played at Palmerston, with the winners playing QoS at home. Our last ever meeting with Gretna.

1997 - Morton 4-0 Arbroath (Lilley, Hawke, Cormack, Blair)

After holding us to a 2-2 draw at Gayfield, we were too strong for the Lichties in the replay.

1995 - Kilmarnock 0-0 Morton 

A great effort from us (in the 2nd division) at Rugby Park, forcing a replay at Scapa. Interview with a very young Lilley at the end of the clip.

http://youtu.be/_vd3dJHUlRI

1989 - Morton 0-0 Airdrie

Cup tie again, with both teams going for it and doing everything but score. The replay at Broomfield would be on the Wednesday.

1981 - Heart of Midlothian 1-3 Morton (Tolmie, Rooney,Thomson) 

Cup replay at Tynecastle. Good times against a team which we had a fair bit of rivalry with in those days. The reward was Aberdeen at home.....

http://youtu.be/8sL4pAohJtU

And our first ever game on this date was in 1904 in the cup - Morton 8-1 6th GRV

6th GRV were from Dalbeattie.

Archived