2017/18 Signings - Page 91 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2017/18 Signings

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bearing in mind that Duffy actually brought Harkins in to play that role (which was a surprise to me), and we've got Tidser and Murdoch fit, I think it's the right decision by Duffy.

He doesn't set the budget, and with a tight squad he'll want to keep something back in case we get injuries. He's working with what he's got (the budget he's been given and the decisions he's already made).

Even if he wants to continue with a central midfield two that doesn't really work, you need four credible options to account for injuries and suspensions. And any of those pretty much rules out playing three in the centre of the park and binning this ridiculous need for four piss-poor wide players on the pitch. So by boxing himself into a tactical corner yet again, it is not the right decision, but a typical Duffy move. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We will prob need funds for a goalkeeper to. Doohan goes back to Celtic after midden game. And Jamie McGowan is out with his shoulder injury. Unless he's nearer fitness as nothing been said about him apart from right after his injury. Has he had an operation or was his shoulder back in place and he can go again?

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the clownshoes failure of a matchday setup, crowds really aren't 'dropping' in any credible comparison. Have they wheeled out Dougie's 4k average gate figure again as their targets?

The real reason why there's little room in the budget now is that someone (Duffy, J.) managed to get the club papped out of the League Cup at the first round, which was beneath expectations given the straightforward group presented to us. But why acknowledge an entirely self-inflicted blow at GMFC when you can always state that it's Someone Else's Fault and harangue the fans for the squad being made up of regens.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Despite the clownshoes failure of a matchday setup, crowds really aren't 'dropping' in any credible comparison. Have they wheeled out Dougie's 4k average gate figure again as their targets?

The real reason why there's little room in the budget now is that someone (Duffy, J.) managed to get the club papped out of the League Cup at the first round, which was beneath expectations given the straightforward group presented to us. But why acknowledge an entirely self-inflicted blow at GMFC when you can always state that it's Someone Else's Fault and harangue the fans for the squad being made up of regens.

He quoted a drop of 300 or so which he says is significant at our level.

He quoted a drop of 300 or so which he says is significant at our level.

Fans need something to believe in. Building on last season would have shown ambition. Instead we were presented with an investment in a new ticketing and pricing system - how many of the 'lost' 300 gave up the ghost due to this farce?

Morton is where it is because the Board and not the fans stopped believing.

The drop is because 2x Hibs games have been replaced by 2x Inverness games, and to a lesser extent by having Brechin with their charabanc of fans joining the bottom-feeders. But as that effect is felt at all clubs in the division anyway, and Morton fans can't produce a cyborg away fanbase to traipse through the shan turnstiles, it smacks of excuses to cite 'dropping' crowds at Cappielow as the reason for a lack of funds.

If Duffy had reached Round 2 or, at a push, the QFs of the cup then that wouldn't be an issue, as the extra prize money and possibly significant gate receipts would have mitigated that. Or if the board recognised right now that the only realistic chance of clearing the club's huge debt is by gaining promotion, also noted that we're undefeated in five games against the likely play-off entrants this season (Spoon-burners; Dunfermline) and therefore provided some funds to sustain a genuine promotion push then that also wouldn't be an issue. But it seems clear IMO that the lack of competence/ambition at the club in order to challenge is already being spun as Someone Else's Fault.

The money should of been there from our cup runs and league finish last season. It’s a fucking joke that we won’t be going out and getting a few players to go and push on and actually achieve something in cementing playoffs and even giving it a proper go.

We’re a couple of good players off really giving this a go.

Oh and let's not forget that single ticket prices for adults this season have gone up by 10-25% on last season anyway, depending on when you have the temerity to buy one. And concessions were increased by 50% to £15 - by far the highest rate in the division! Even allowing for inflation, we are quite clearly not dealing with a straightforward 'loss' of 300 punters in terms of gate receipts then.

Oh and let's not forget that single ticket prices for adults this season have gone up by 10-25% on last season anyway, depending on when you have the temerity to buy one. And concessions were increased by 50% to £15 - by far the highest rate in the division! Even allowing for inflation, we are quite clearly not dealing with a straightforward 'loss' of 300 punters in terms of gate receipts then.

Good point actually. Surely the increase might outweigh or not be as substantial as we’re lead to believe with the “loss of 300” fans chat.

Laughable. Spunk money away on a ticketing system which wasn't really a priority instead of investing it in the squad. What the fuck happened to the money we made last season? Club need to accept they've made a mess of it yet again.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Fans need something to believe in. Building on last season would have shown ambition. Instead we were presented with an investment in a new ticketing and pricing system - how many of the 'lost' 300 gave up the ghost due to this farce?

Morton is where it is because the Board and not the fans stopped believing.

Indeed. And I must bring it up again but the next time Duffy is asked for his target at this level, the answer is not "we don't have one" or "we'll see how we get on".

The correct answer is promotion otherwise what fuck are we expected to fork out the money following them for? No one is saying he should tell the media we're winning the league but at least tell yiur own support one way or the other you're going for promotion. At least that way any top 4 finish is still on track.

The current non-committal farce excuses failure in advance and I can't accept that.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Personally I don’t think it matters much what managers say in public. To take extreme examples - I’d much rather O’Neill’s ‘we’re only aiming to close the gap on Rangers’ (then romping the league) to Caixinha’s ‘we’ve got the best squad in Scotland’ (whilst floundering in third). Privately it’s clear that Duffy is targeting the playoff positions, and the players will be well aware of that regardless of what is said in public.

Personally I don’t think it matters much what managers say in public. To take extreme examples - I’d much rather O’Neill’s ‘we’re only aiming to close the gap on Rangers’ (then romping the league) to Caixinha’s ‘we’ve got the best squad in Scotland’ (whilst floundering in third). Privately it’s clear that Duffy is targeting the playoff positions, and the players will be well aware of that regardless of what is said in public.

I think the fans' lukewarm reaction to the season so far tells us it does matter in terms of getting bodies through the turnstiles.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived