2017/18 Signings - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2017/18 Signings

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryn Halliwell - I don't care what happens to him.

Ricki Lamie - I'd keep him. He has improved massively and is still relatively young, if he could improve his distribution he'd be a very good option at this level.

Mark Russell - Keep, but look for a new first choice left back. While I'm all for trying to develop and possible sell him, he's been absolutely dire this year. His decision making has been poor, his distribution has been rank and he has stopped contributing going forward.

Michael Doyle - As above, offer him a low amount while actively seeking a replacement. Offers us a decent engine, really needs to improve his final ball.

Michael Tidser - Offer him a low wage. I have no problem with him being our 3rd choice midfielder but the fact that Duffy will never play a 5 man midfield limits what Tidser can offer, even with all his positive attributes.

Andy Murdoch - Keep if possible. Offers good energy but I'd expect a progression in his game next season.

Conor Pepper - Offer him training facilities and a coaching role, and tell him there's a contract waiting for him if he can get himself fit.

Kudus Oyenuga - Release. Thanks for the memories but he's not good enough.

Jon Scullion - Release. At some point he will end up scoring against us for some diddy League One club, but he's not shown enough and will never fit into Duffy's system.

Jamie Lindsay (loan) - Again, keep if possible but not a chance he'll be back.

Aidan Nesbitt (loan) - Put an offer in, but I'd rather see what else is out there. Good work rate but technically needs to improve and needs to read the game better.

Lawrence Shankland (loan) - Punt him into the North Sea. He isn't good enough to meet his fate in the Clyde Riviera.

Gavin Gunning - Offer him the freedom of Greater Greenock, the keys to the club and 72 virgins.

EDIT - Just heard about McDonagh. Best of luck to him.

A Virgin in Greenock?

(Copyright: Toby)

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Keep.

Add Doyle to that list and I agree with all of that.

Agreed.

Tbh if I was Duffy I'd be looking at the last 12 games and assessing which players failed to rise to the occasion when the going got tough and if he feels it may be repeated look at moving said players on to pastures new.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

New keeper, both full backs, an experienced centre half, experienced central midfielder, experienced striker.    Beyond that , 1 or 2 wingers.   

Deals for Tidser, Murdoch   , try and get the 2 Celtic loanees after the above positions are filled.

Agreed.

Tbh if I was Duffy I'd be looking at the last 12 games and assessing which players failed to rise to the occasion when the going got tough and if he feels it may be repeated look at moving said players on to pastures new.

Unfortunately that list would include a lot of players who are still under contract... including Forbes.

EOho8Pw.png

Agreed.

How many of those players who failed to rise to the occassion might have fared better if there had been a couple of old heads in there with real experience to help get them through that sticky period. It's easy to forget how young a team we have and for a lot of them this would have been their first ever experience of possible success and they haven't dealt with it well. That doesn't mean that they won't learn from it and come back stronger if given another chance.

Around Christmas time Morton fans were saying this was the most talented team we have had in years, even more so than the season we battled against Partick, so wholesale changes aren't needed. A few key signings in the summer coupled with the squad from this season and i feel we'd be on course for an even more successful season than this one.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Raith fans on pie and bovril saying highest has left and the while squad has been told they can go. Sounds a bit extreme to me. Any players we'd be interested in? The boy Vaughan is a good player and I've always though Callachan was decent.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Would of taken Davidson a year or 3 ago. Vaughan has looked good, and played alongside Thomson at Dumbarton? So maybe a possibility, but would like to look a bit higher in terms of calibre.

Mark Stewart looked a player a few seasons back but looks absolutely honking now. Callachan is decent.

Hope we get some business done early again. Excited to potentially see what we end up with (nae shite or pointless signings). Hopefully our profile has been raised slightly this season and we don't have to make 1228372 attempts to sign a striker like last year.

No, he told the forum about his shagging exploits before he went in a huff and left the forum :lol:

🤔

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Seen last week that Stefan Scougall and Marc McNulty have been released by Sheffield Utd. Always impressed me at Livingston, would take them in a heartbeat if they were willing ti drop their wage demands.

How likely is it we'll be linked with McManus yet again?

Given his performances coming off the bench against us this season I'd be inclined to utilise the 'get in the sea' option.

Question: is he better than Shankland, though?

Unquestionably. We need strikers with a bit of pace and workrate to fit in with the style of play of this season. McManus wouldn't be the worst back-up for this system tbh.

Seen last week that Stefan Scougall and Marc McNulty have been released by Sheffield Utd. Always impressed me at Livingston, would take them in a heartbeat if they were willing ti drop their wage demands.

They'll both find Premiership clubs no bother.

If Raith are indeed letting every single player find new clubs even if they're under contract, Duffy should be doorstepping Lewis Vaughan this morning. Quitongo, Oliver, Thomson and Vaughan would be a very strong set of forwards.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

What's the source on McDonagh being released by the way? His twitter's protected so if he's announced it on there I can't see it.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived